Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis, solo, plays Vienna, Oct. 25 2014

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
mood swung

Re: Elvis, solo, plays Vienna, Oct. 25 2014

Post by mood swung »

Well, I'm not. But I'd like to know if he closes with the Ringo Starr classic, Goodnight Vienna?

:lol:
Like me, the "g" is silent.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

mood swung wrote:Well, I'm not. But I'd like to know if he closes with the Ringo Starr classic, Goodnight Vienna?

He could debut "Just Another Mystery," from the 2002 Mighty Like A Rose reissue:

The train left the Grand Central Station
Bound for Washington, D.C.
But instead flew straight 'cross the ocean
For Vienna, Stockholm and Paris
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I'm going to this one. :D
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

https://twitter.com/WolfgangGeier/statu ... 6986093569
Wie sich Elvis #Costello im Burgtheater die Seele aus dem Leib singt, das ist atemberaubend! Ganz, ganz groß.

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Azmuda wrote:
mood swung wrote:Well, I'm not. But I'd like to know if he closes with the Ringo Starr classic, Goodnight Vienna?

He could debut "Just Another Mystery," from the 2002 Mighty Like A Rose reissue:

The train left the Grand Central Station
Bound for Washington, D.C.
But instead flew straight 'cross the ocean
For Vienna, Stockholm and Paris
Wow - great perception but it was one night out.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.salzburg.com/nachrichten/lif ... en-125737/

Elvis Costello in Wien. Bild: SN/APA/EPA/HERBERT P. OCZERET

Ein Leben in 400 Liedern: Elvis Costello verzauberte Wien

Von Apa

Als Elvis Costello am Samstagabend die Bühne des Wiener Burgtheaters betritt, geht er nicht, er läuft.

Der britische Singer-Songwriter hat viel vor: Mehr als 30 Songs aus sämtlichen Phasen seiner fast 40 Jahre umfassenden, so vielseitigen Karriere spielt der 60-Jährige bei seinem ausverkauften Solo-Konzert in zweieinhalb Stunden und weiß damit seine Fans zu beglücken und Neulinge zu überzeugen.

Jeder Abend sei bei ihm anders, erzählt er gleich zu Beginn, und stets würde er aus seinem Song-Katalog eine ganz eigene Geschichte spinnen. "Und ich habe mich entschieden, heute in Wien nur über Liebe zu singen", sagt er und fügt nach einer kurzen Pause hinzu: "...und über Lügen, Träume, Betrug und Verrücktes. Immerhin habe ich 400 Songs darüber geschrieben." Costello betont das gerne, angeberisch wirkt das trotzdem nicht. In dunkelblauem Anzug mit Weste, hellem Hut und grünen Socken in violetten Halbschuhen setzt sich der charismatische Musiker mit der markanten Hornbrille auf der simplen Bühne vor einem "ON AIR"-Schild und einer Reihe Gitarren gekonnt in Szene, kaut zwischen Songs schon mal Kaugummi, nur um dann höflich den Hut in Richtung der Logen zu heben.

Bereits mit dem dritten Song, der mit Ex-Beatle Paul McCartney geschriebenen Ballade "Veronica", hat Costello sein Publikum in der Hand. Mit kraftvoller Stimme, die ihn bis zum Schluss nicht verlässt, und punktgenauem Gitarrenspiel - mal mit Finger, dann mit Plektrum - nimmt er den Theaterraum für sich ein. Bald rückt er mit dem Mikrofon, das er im Laufe des Abends für die wohl stärksten Momente auch beiseite lässt, weiter nach vorne. "Ich will eure Gesichter sehen", sagt der Showman Costello, um sein Publikum dann bei "Accidents Will Happen" zum Mitsingen zu animieren, bis es klingt "wie bei den Wiener Sängerknaben".

Zwischen akustischer, semi-akustischer und ab und an auch elektrischer Gitarre wechselnd bringt der Ausnahmekünstler dann die gesamte Bandbreite seines Schaffens zwischen Punk, Pop und Jazz zu Gehör: Von der Powerballade "Alison" aus dem ersten Album "My Aim Is True" (1977) und den 21-jährig verfassten Song "Poison Moon", der als sein Erster im BBC-Regionalradio landete, über die bekanntesten Songs wie "Oliver"s Army" und "She" bis zu neuem Material wie dem ironischen "The Last Year Of My Youth" und einem Bob-Dylan-Song aus den demnächst erscheinenden "New Basement Tapes" fügt sich ein Titel nahtlos an den anderen. "April 5th", das Costello gemeinsam mit Kris Kristofferson und Rosanne Cash schrieb, bietet er ebenso a cappella dar wie das seinem Großvater gewidmete Lied "Jimmy Standing In The Rain" und den grandiosen Abschlusssong "I Want You"; für das zerbrechliche "Shipbuilding" wiederum wechselt er kurz ans E-Piano; beim kultigen "Watching the Detectives" tobt er sich an Loop-Pedalen aus.

Sonst gern und lang mit Bands wie einst The Attractions in seiner New-Wave-Zeit oder mit The Imposters in den Nullerjahren auf Tour, braucht Costello an diesem Abend nur einen "Special Guest", wie er sagt: sich selbst. Die andere Rolle, in der er da auf einem Sessel am Bühnenrand sitzend schlüpft, ist die des launigen Geschichtenerzählers. Anekdoten über seine Kindheit mit einem Hippie-Musiker-Vater oder das gemeinsame Künstlerleben mit seiner Ehefrau, der Musikerin Diana Krall, und den gemeinsamen Zwillingssöhnen flankieren Songs, die keinen Zweifel an dem Legenden-Status des Musikers lassen. Ein Samstagabend im Hause Costello-Krall beinhalte normalerweise ein Pokerspiel, Kekse und Brandy, erzählt er, ehe er seiner Familie "Walkin' Back With My Baby" widmet. Wien ist froh, dass er an diesem Samstagabend andere Pläne hatte - und dankt es ihm im ausschweifenden Zugabeblock mit mehrmaligen Standing Ovations.

A Life in 400 songs: Elvis Costello enchanted Vienna

Apa

10/26/2014

When Elvis Costello on Saturday evening enters the stage of the Burgtheater in Vienna, he does not, he runs.

The British singer-songwriter has big plans: More than 30 songs from all phases of his nearly 40 years comprehensive, so versatile career plays of 60-year-old at his sold-out solo concert in two and a half hours and do so to please its fans and convince newcomers ,

Each evening was with him differently, he told right at the beginning, and he always would spin from his song catalog its own story. "And I've decided today in Vienna to sing only about love," he says, adding after a pause: "... and lies, dreams, fraud and Crazy After all, I've written 400 songs about it.." Costello emphasizes the like, the pretentious acts not yet. In a dark blue suit with vest, white hat and green socks in purple loafers, the charismatic musician sets with the distinctive horn-rimmed glasses on a simple stage before an "ON AIR" sign and a number of guitars in the spotlight, chews between songs before chewing gum, only to be polite to lift his hat in the direction of the lodges.

Already with the third song, written by the ex-Beatle Paul McCartney ballad "Veronica", Costello has his audience in hand. With a powerful voice that does not leave him until the end, and point accurate guitar playing - sometimes with fingers, then with a pick - he takes the theater space itself. Soon he moves with the mic that he during the evening for the most strongest moments aside even further forward. "I want to see your faces," says the showman Costello, then to animate his audience in "Accidents Will Happen" to sing along until it sounds "like the Vienna Boys Choir".

Alternating between acoustic, semi-acoustic and now and then electric guitar brings the unique artist then the entire range of his work between punk, pop and jazz to be heard: From the power ballad "Alison" from the first album "My Aim Is True" (1977 ) and the 21-year written song "Poison Moon" which ended up being his first in the BBC Regional Radio, via the well-known songs like "Oliver" s Army "and" She "to new material as the ironic" the Last year Of My Youth "and a Bob Dylan song from the forthcoming" New Basement Tapes "a title fits seamlessly to the other." April 5th, "Costello wrote with Kris Kristofferson and Rosanne Cash, he offers as well a cappella is as the song dedicated to his grandfather "Jimmy Standing In the Rain" and the grand final song "I Want You"; for the fragile "Shipbuilding" turn it switches briefly to the electric piano, the iconic "Watching the Detectives" he rages at loop from clipless pedals.

Otherwise like and long with bands like The Attractions once in his New Wave period or with The Imposters in the new millennium on tour, Costello needs this evening only a "special guest", as he says, for yourself. The other role, in it there on a chair at the edge of the stage slips sitting, is that of the witty storyteller. Anecdotes about his childhood with a hippie musician-father or the common artist's life with his wife, musician Diana Krall, and the common twin sons accompany songs that leave no doubt about the legendary status of the musician. A Saturday night at home Costello Krall normally consider including a poker game, biscuits and brandy, he says, before he devotes his family "Walkin 'Back With My Baby". Vienna is glad that he had other plans this Saturday night - and will thank him in the extravagant addition block with multiple standing ovations.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Crimes Of Paris for only the third time since 1985

Third performance of new co-write with Bacharach - He's Given Me Things.

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/Elvis ... lts%22/661

Elvis Costello solo
Burgtheatre, Vienna, Austria
October 25th, 2014

Either Side Of The Same Town
Veronica
All This Useless Beauty
Poison Moon
Accidents Will Happen
Ascension Day
Church Underground
Crimes Of Paris
Tart
Come The Meantimes
After The Fall
Little Triggers
Walking My Baby Back Home
Ghost Train
When I Was Cruel No.2
She
Watching The Detectives
My Dark Life
Alison

Shipbuilding
He's Given Me Things
Matthew Met Mary
Oliver's Army
April 5th

Jimmie Standing In The Rain

The Last Year Of My Youth
Peace, Love & Understanding
I Want You
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Werner Rosenberger in Kurier published on 26 October 2014.

"Elvis Costello: Songs über die Liebe, Lügen und Betrug

Ein Hausmusik-Abend mit dem Pop-Chamäleon Elvis Costello solo im Burgtheater.

Er springt auf die Bühne ins Rampenlicht, im dunklen Anzug mit Weste, mit der für ihn typischen Hornbrille und einem schicken hellen Hut auf dem Kopf.

Elvis Costello amüsierte sich bei seiner Solo-Show Samstag im Burgtheater, dass man ihn den "Mann mit den tausend Gesichtern" nennt. Nur über die Liebe will er diesmal singen. Und über Lügen, Träume, Betrug und Verrücktheiten.

Hunderte von Songs hat der Verwandlungskünstler des Pop seit den 70er-Jahren geschrieben, als er einer der Gründer der Punk- und New- Wave-Bewegung war: Live hat der 60-Jährige aus allen Phasen seiner langen Karriere etwas dabei: Zu erleben sind so u. a. mit "Poison Moon", dem Erstling im BBC-Radio, "Oliver’s Army" und mit dem ironischen "The Last Year Of My Youth" der zornige und der sanfte Costello, der ruppige Ska-Punk der 70er, aber auch der schmachtende Schnulzier der 90er.

Vielseitig

Den ältesten Song habe er "mit 17 begonnen und erst im Taxi hierher fertig geschrieben", witzelt der Tausendsassa. Und tritt an die Rampe mit dem Wunsch: "Ich will eure Gesichter sehen." Bei "Accidents Will Happen" muss das Publikum mitsingen bis es klingt "wie bei den Wiener Sängerknaben". "Veronica" entstand einst mit Paul McCartney, Charme hat Nat King Coles "Walking My Baby Home" ebenso wie "She" von Charles Aznavours und die Power-Ballade "Alison" vom Debüt- Album "My Aim Is True" (1977).

Dazu gibt’s trockenhumorig erzählte Anekdoten aus dem Leben mit seiner Frau Diana Krall und den gemeinsamen Zwillingssöhnen, sowie Geschichten über seinen Vater, der in den 60er-Jahren ebenfalls ein bekannter Sänger in England war. "Ich habe heute", sagt Costello plötzlich, "einen ganz besonderen Überraschungsgast mitgebracht: mich!"

Er, der noch immer selber sein liebster Gast ist, spielt das brüchige Timbre seiner Stimme mit unterschiedlichen Gitarrensounds und legt zu "Watching the Detectives" über ein gelooptes Grundriff lässig verzerrte Soli. Er spielt den rohen Sound seiner Komposition, kann solo Extreme ausloten – vom Krach der E-Gitarre bis zu sehr intimen Momenten. Und dass so eine Song-Fassung oft frischer und völlig anders klingt als jede andere Version vorher, das macht ihm so schnell keiner nach.

KURIER-Wertung: **** "

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

" Elvis Costello: songs about love, lies and fraud

A house music evening with the pop chameleon Elvis Costello solo at the Burgtheater.

He jumps on stage in the spotlight, in a dark suit with vest, with his typical horn-rimmed glasses and a chic bright hat on his head.

Elvis Costello was amused at his solo show Saturday at the Burgtheater, that they call him the "man of a thousand faces". Only this time he wants to sing about love. And about lies, dreams, fraud and follies.

Hundreds of songs, the metamorphosis of Pop written since the 70s when he was one of the founders of the punk and New Wave movement: Live, the 60-year-old from all phases of his long career doing something: to experience are among other things, with "Poison Moon", the debut on BBC radio, "Oliver's Army" and the ironic "the Last Year Of My Youth" the angry and the gentle Costello, the rough Ska-punk of the 70s, but also the languishing Schnulzier 90.

Versatile

He had "started with 17 and posted here only completed in taxi" the oldest song, quips the trades. And occurs at the ramp with the request: "I want to see your faces." When "Accidents Will Happen" must sing until it sounds "like the Vienna Boys Choir," the audience. "Veronica" was once with Paul McCartney, has charm Nat King Cole's "Walking My Baby Home" as well as "She" by Charles Aznavour and the power ballad "Alison" from debut album "My Aim Is True" (1977).

In addition there is dry humorously told anecdotes from the lives with his wife, Diana Krall and the common twin sons, as well as stories about his father, who was also a well-known singer in England in the 60s. "I have today," Costello says suddenly, "brought a very special surprise guest: me"

He who is himself still his favorite guest, plays the brittle timbre of his voice with different guitar sounds and places to "Watching the Detectives" over a looped basic riff casual distorted solos. He plays the raw sound of his composition, can solo explore extremes - from the noise of the electric guitar up to very intimate moments. And that as a song-version often sounds fresh and completely different than any other version before, that makes him so fast nobody.

COURIER Rating: **** (out of five)"

"Alison" a "Power-ballad"?

MOOT
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Recording now up on that site that is 10 cents for 12, if you get what I mean.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Andreas Rauschal published on October 25, 2014 in Wiener Zeitung.

"Konzertkritik
Vortragsabend für Kenner

* Elvis Costello gab ein intimes Solokonzert im Wiener Burgtheater.

Eine Zeile aus seinem Song "Oliver’s Army" gilt natürlich auch heute: "Donʼt start me talking. I could talk all night!" – im Wiener Burgtheater allerdings soll das nichts Schlechtes bedeuten. Immerhin erweist sich Elvis Costello hier als gewitzter Erzähler, der nicht nur die schöne Anekdote parat hat, der zufolge sein Vater einst vor Queen Mum auftreten durfte – und dabei nichts weniger zum Besten gab als Pete Seegers Protestfolksong "If I Had A Hammer". Auch ein Ausflug auf die Hamburger Reeperbahn ("aus reinen Recherchegründen!") ist Thema. Dieser zeitigte über einen eh unverfänglichen Einkehrschwung in Sachen Shopping schließlich die Schuhmode des heutigen Konzerts, die dem nicht gänzlich unauffälligen Restoutfit Costellos gut ansteht.

Am Ende ist es aber nicht die Redseligkeit des Meisters, sondern seine Neigung zum üppigen Zugabenteil, die die Konzertdauer auf knapp zweieinhalb Stunden bringt. Wobei es zum alten "Fit mach mit"-Spiel kommt, das man über oftmaliges Aufstehen und Sich-wieder-Niedersetzen auch aus der Kirche kennt. Das passt aber alleine schon insofern, als die von Costello in Wien längst nur mehr in den Tempeln der sogenannten Hochkultur abgehaltenen Vortragsabende vor Kennern eine durchaus sakrale Note verströmen.

Hin zur Essenz

Dabei ist festzuhalten, dass es – anders als bei Konzerten des späten Bob Dylan – zu keinen von raschem Songerkennungsapplaus gekennzeichneten Schwanzlängenvergleichen unter den Costellologen kommt. Wobei sich derlei Kennerschaftsbekundungen nicht nur aufgrund des großen Werkkatalogs, sondern auch der Vorliebe des Songwriters zu auf die Setlist gehievten Raritäten und einer weitgehend spröden Vortragsweise anbieten würden. Und dass vor allem der eine oder andere britische Fan in sentimentaler Verzückung mitzusingen gedenkt, ist wiederum (ganz im Sinne der sakralen Note!) nur würdig und recht.

Mit gut dreißig Songs also durchmisst Costello sein Schaffen quer durch (fast) alle Phasen. Es beginnt mit "45" als Abhandlung einer in mehrerlei Hinsicht bedeutsamen Zahl, führt zur Post-Trennungsballade "Either Side Of The Same Town" und geht mit "Veronica" über das in der Popkultur noch kaum verankerte Thema der Demenz hin zu "Come The Meantimes" aus einer im Vorjahr veröffentlichten Zusammenarbeit mit The Roots – wo ein erster Animationsversuch in Sachen Publikumsmiteinbeziehung bescheidene Resultate befördert. Grundsätzlich bestätigt sich dabei bald, dass Elvis Costello solo zwar nicht die durch Mark und Bein gehende Gefühligkeit eines Neil Young erreicht, der Essenz seines Schaffens mit diesen intimen Reduktionen aber durchaus nahe zu kommen ist.

Teils unverstärkt und mit umso drastischerem Ausdrucksgesang sowie mit häufig wechselnden Gitarren, ist mit dem Sperrstunden-Country von "April 5th" ebenso für weitere Nuancen gesorgt wie mit dem zärtlichen Charles-Aznavour-Cover "She". Sehr gut vor allem die von ausufernden Gitarrenfeedbacks getragenen Versionen von "Watching The Detectives" und, überraschend, der Brian-Eno-Kollaboration "My Dark Life".

Kaugummikauend und verständlicherweise unter Zuhilfenahme von Spickzetteln steht im Zugabenteil neben (tragischen) Göttersongs wie "Shipbuilding" mit Elvis Costello an den Tasten auch der vertonte Dylan-Text "Matthew Met Mary" auf dem Programm, angesichts dessen der dylaneske Vortrag von "The Last Year Of My Youth" nur konsequent erscheint. Ein Abend für Fans und Freunde."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

Concert Review
Presentation evening for connoisseurs

* Elvis Costello gave an intimate solo concert at Vienna's Burgtheater.

A line from his song " Oliver's Army "is also true today:" Do not start me talking I could talk all night. " - The Vienna Burgtheater but does that mean anything bad. After all, Elvis Costello proves here as witty narrator, who has not only ready the nice anecdote to the effect that his father once was allowed to perform before Queen Mum - and nothing less to the best was when Pete Seeger's protest folk song "If I Had A Hammer". A trip on the Reeperbahn in Hamburg ("from pure research reasons!") Is subject. This zeitigte a harmless eh stop-off in terms of shopping, finally, the footwear of today's concert, which is due to the not entirely inconspicuous residual outfit Costello's good.

In the end it is not the loquacity of the Master, but his tendency to lush encore that brings the concert duration to almost two and a half hours. Where it comes to the old "Fit do with 'game that we know about oftmaliges standing and self-re-sitting down and from the church. That alone already fits in so far as the only long held by Costello in Vienna in the temples of the so-called high culture lecture evenings exude an absolutely sacred note before connoisseurs.

Towards the Essence

It should be noted that - unlike concerts of the late Bob Dylan - marked by rapid song to no recognition applause tail length compare comes under the Costellologen. Which may have connoisseurship expressions would offer to the setlist gehievten rarities and a largely brittle manner of performance not only because of the large catalog of works, but also the preference of Songwriters. And that above all one or the other British fan does sing in sentimental rapture, in turn (in the sense of sacred touch!) Just right and just.

With over thirty songs so by measures Costello his work across (almost) all phases. It begins with " 45 "as a memoir of a significant in several respects number, leads to post-separation ballad" Either Side Of The Same Town "and go with" Veronica "over in pop culture hardly anchored theme of dementia, to" Come The Mean Times "published last year from a collaboration with The Roots - where a first foray into animation Publikumsmiteinbeziehung promoted modest results. Basically, it soon confirmed that Elvis Costello solo does not reach that going to the marrow sentimentality of Neil Young, the essence of his work with these reductions is intimate but to come quite close.

Part unreinforced and with more drastischerem expression vocals and frequently changing guitars, is the curfew-country of " April 5th "well cared for more nuances as the tender Charles Aznavour Cover" She ". Very good especially carried by escalating guitar feedback versions of " Watching The Detectives "and, surprisingly, the Brian Eno-collaboration" My Dark Life ".

Gum Chewing and understandably with the aid of cheat sheets is in addition part next (tragic) gods songs such as " Shipbuilding "by Elvis Costello on the keys also set to music Dylan-text" Matthew Met Mary "on the program, in view of the dylaneske presentation of" The Last Year Of My Youth "only appears consistently. An evening for fans and friends."

MOOT