Uncut Elvis Costello - Ultimate Music Guide - Magazine

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Uncut Elvis Costello - Ultimate Music Guide - Magazine

Post by johnfoyle »

http://nme.backstreetmerch.com/artist/u ... usic-guide

"Oh I just don't know where to begin…" So sang Elvis Costello in 1979, opening one of his most enduring singles, "Accidents Will Happen". The best place to start investigations of this brilliant and complicated artist, though, is Uncut's latest Ultimate Music Guide: Elvis Costello. Inside, you'll find a wealth of old NME and Melody Maker features, printed in full for the first time in decades, that capture one of the most pointed British songwriters of the last four decades in full ferocious effect. "There's a lot of rock music that's become exclusive and it's of no use to anyone. Least of all me," Costello announced in his first Melody Maker interview, in 1977. "Music has to get to people. In the heart, in the head." From those first explosive salvos, up to the deeper and more exploratory albums of recent years, through raging polemics, superstar collaborations and esoteric detours, we've also written insightful new reviews of every single Costello album to help you through that labyrinthine back catalogue. Plus, there's the customary Ultimate Music Guide array of rare pictures, discographies, tall stories and meticulous research. It's the complete Costello magazine: our aim, rest assured, is true!
sheeptotheslaughter

Re: Uncut Elvis Costello - Ultimate Music Guide - Magazine

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Just stumbled across this in WH Smiths. What a nice surprise. £7.99 a bit steep though
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Fantastic! I won't mind spending eight quid on it.
VonOfterdingen

Post by VonOfterdingen »

Bought it right away. 15 £ incl. postage.
I'm not buying my share of souvenirs
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Think we'll see this stocked in the US? I Didn't have any luck finding their Tom Waits special issue from a couple months ago, even at places that usually stock Uncut.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

The Gentleman wrote:Think we'll see this stocked in the US? I Didn't have any luck finding their Tom Waits special issue from a couple months ago, even at places that usually stock Uncut.
You can order a print or digital version online - Waits one is available, though the Elvis one doesn't seem to be there yet:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/magazine/ultimat ... -tom-waits
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/20 ... sale-today

Elvis in Classic Rock, Nov 2014

'Buyer’s Guide — Elvis Costello: Over five decades the singer-songwriter has amassed a jewel-box catalogue of music unbounded by genres.'

Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

The Gentleman wrote:Think we'll see this stocked in the US? I Didn't have any luck finding their Tom Waits special issue from a couple months ago, even at places that usually stock Uncut.
Maybe all us folks this side of "the pond" could start a cross-Atlantic trade between Ultimate Music magazines and Costello Simpson figures ! :wink: :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/stavrossky/status/5 ... 8309883904

Colin Devon ‏tweets
Really disappointed that classic rock's "Essential" Elvis Costello doesn't even mention Mighty Like A Rose..

sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Essential, Spike ?!!!! Unusual way to spell Get Happy or am I missing something ? :wink:
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Groogh! Agree, Sulky - there are lots of wonderful things on 'Spike', but it's not an indispensable classic - for me there are more than two of those:

This Year's Model
Blood and Chocolate
Brutal Youth
Get Happy!!
Trust

...in no particular order (though GH is the hardest to get in to cos of its hard-to-digest multi-song barrage, so I wouldn't recommend it as an entry point into Elvis - not that that's an issue in these days of MP3 downloads!)

National Ransom, of the later albums, nearly makes it into the classic list! And so many are just shy of that, in the essential list. So amazing that he's still able to pull it off - bring on the next album!
migdd

Post by migdd »

No mention of Get Happy!!! ??????? :shock:
cwr

Post by cwr »

Has anyone seen copies of this for sale anywhere in the US yet?
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Despite whinging a bit about the price earlier in the debate. I really enjoyed this. Good to see the old interviews.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

cwr wrote:Has anyone seen copies of this for sale anywhere in the US yet?
If you're talking about the ultimate music guide, you can order a copy online, or download a digital edition:

http://www.uncut.co.uk/magazine/ultimat ... s-costello
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

cwr wrote:Has anyone seen copies of this for sale anywhere in the US yet?
Nope. But my local B&N finally got copies of the Tom Waits special issue, so I imagine they'll be carrying the EC one too in the next few weeks.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's a collection of all the ads for this. While it may not have anything we don't already know I think these ads show what makes the magazine worthwhile - a tidy collection of information & nice clear printing of the photographs.

A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

I bought this today at the local Hasting's store. It was the last one on the shelf, which kind of surprised me at $14.00 per copy...that is, I didn't think there were that many hard core fans around here.

I will be looking at this mag for years...
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

I'm enjoying all the lp reviews -- 26 brand new reviews (by 17 different writers) -- every lp from MAIT through WUG.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Thanks for bumping. I forgot all about this. Just ordered online:

http://nme.backstreetmerch.com/artist/u ... usic-guide

$22 after shipping charges. Can't wait to dig in!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

"Here's a collection of all the ads for this. While it may not have anything we don't already know I think these ads show what makes the magazine worthwhile - a tidy collection of information & nice clear printing of the photographs." John Foyle

Have to agree on the photos- they are bright, vibrant and track his evolution as a person and fashion plate over the decades with an historian's eye.

The new reviews are nothing special but they do a good job of reminding one why certain albums work spectacularly, others are hit and miss and at least one is a dud. They are not written with the eye and ear of a fanatic but that of a 'fan' with a critical eye and ear. I appreciate that. MLAR still gets little love from me. One comes away from flipping the pages with a renewed appreciation for the entire oeuvre-the drive, talent and unique vision that has gone into creating this body of music and that zealously seeks to 'polish' it for posterity.

My local B&N had at least 16 copies. Quite easy to find.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Just received my copy via a friend in England. Had a very quick peep last night before I settle down to a more leisurely read over the next few days.

A couple of random comments on some song rankings I noticed which I found “interesting”.
Tokyo Storm Warning = 5 stars for a song that really grates for me, and Jimmy Standing in the Rain = a paltry 3 stars only for goodness sake !

But I guess Beauty (Useless !!! :wink: ) is in the eye of the beholder/reviewer.
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere