What are Elvis's favourite venues?

Pretty self-explanatory
Harry Worth

What are Elvis's favourite venues?

Post by Harry Worth »

My Elvis watching over the years has usually been when he plays Liverpool or Manchester. I was at the recent (Manchester) Bridgewater Hall gig, somewhere he has played some excellent gigs before (though I must admit the John Harle in 1996 one was er, difficult!). I think one of the factors in him playing such a great show was that he really likes the venue.

I found a quote from a Liverpool Echo interview on this thread http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... f=2&t=8232
“The Capital of Culture year was great, but a lot of that community activity wasn’t highlighted. Liverpool has always been a place that’s packed with music. A lot of the places I used to know have closed now, or changed what they do. My favourite place to play was always the Royal Court, then you had old Renshaw Hall, the Neptune Theatre. As I walk down Lime Street I can see the facades of the places that used to hold live music nights.
I remember some great gigs he did at the Royal Court, including my favourite ever in December 1982 with a horn section and . He played there 14 times in all it says on the EC wiki.

So, where else do you think Elvis loves playing?
Hawksmoor

Re: What are Elvis's favourite venues?

Post by Hawksmoor »

I agree about the Royal Court, I've seen EC several times there (including the gig you mentioned!) and he's always seemed to be having a great time. I'd like to think it is a bit of a 'special' venue for him (even in its re-built format) - he does have roots in Liverpool of course, and still seems to have a fair amount of family and friends in the area. But it's also a venue where I saw a lot of fondly-remembered concerts in my youth, so I guess I have personal/nostalgic reasons for thinking that it might be a special place for EC too!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

As for venues in Liverpool, how about the gig with Alain Toussaint at The Picket in 2007. One of the top two gigs I've ever seen in my life and I've always been a bit saddened that whenever Elvis had played in Liverpool he hasn't chosen to do 2 nights, one at somewhere like the Royal Court to pay the bills and one at the Picket for sheer pleasure !
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Given EC's love of old theatres, I'm always surprised he plays the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester. I saw him with the Imposters there and it took ages for the audeince to get going. Liverpool is always good whether the Royal Court or the Phil.
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Incidentally, trivia fans, that picture of Harry Worth's window trick was actually filmed in Manchester. It is now Starbucks near the Royal Exchange Theatre!
hatman

Post by hatman »

The Ryman Auditorium is a big time favorite.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

In UK, apart from venues mentioned Elvis seems to have played a lot at Bristol Colston Hall, Birmingham Symphony Hall Royal Albert Hall, Festival Hall in London and Newcastle City Hall.

As for US .. The Ryman, Beacon, Cain's Ballroom are all long time favourites as well as regular performances at The Bridge School events. Count Basie Theatre, Wolf Trap ? Austin seems to be the main music town in Texas...then there's Chicago, Atlanta..too many to say.
ramalama

Post by ramalama »

He is a frequent performer at the Bridge School concerts, but Shoreline is an awful outdoor venue. He has seemed to enjoy the Great American Music Hall in SF when he has played the Austin DeLone benefits. I remember one time that the venue influenced the set list: at the Fillmore, he responded to a shout out for Ship of Fools, saying it was fitting that he perform it given the history of the building.