Extreme Honey debuting on Vinyl , Feb. '15

Pretty self-explanatory
Ymaginatif

Extreme Honey debuting on Vinyl , Feb. '15

Post by Ymaginatif »

Looks like 'Music On Vinyl' is answering our prayers: in a week's time (7 July 2014) 'The Juliet Letters' is coming out on 180gm vinyl!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Juliet-Letters- ... ters+Vinyl

It's going to be a single disc?! Looks like they'll have to squeeze this one a bit?!
Last edited by Ymaginatif on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
cwr

Re: Juliet Letters on Vinyl release

Post by cwr »

I've owned the original vinyl edition for a long time now, but I'm still happy this will be available for people since that one is pretty scarce now, I'd assume.

STILL: I wonder if they'll ever get around to Kojak Variety and PFM. They clearly have the ability to put out KV, since they are doing all the other WB releases, so what's the hold-up?

(PFM, maybe that one has different licensing issues? And maybe it'll be more likely once EC & Burt's Broadway musical is finished?)
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

CWR, is the original LP version also a single disc? It's over an hour long, which is a bit much for vinyl I think ...

'Music On Vinyl' seems to be going through these WB era albums at a slow but steady rate. No guarantees of course, but I hope they get to Kojak Variety in due course ...

'Painted From Memory' would be absolutely splendid to own on vinyl too! And Deep Dead Blue would make a marvelous mini album!
cwr

Post by cwr »

Yeah, it was a single LP.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I gave my copy from '93 a spin this evening -

The surface noise on this is atrocious. It's a prime example of the tail end of the first vinyl era, really thin, barely a step up from a flexi disc, most likely made with recycled Bros albums. It looks like I'll have to get the new heavyweight edition.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

johnfoyle wrote:I gave my copy from '93 a spin this evening -

The surface noise on this is atrocious. It's a prime example of the tail end of the first vinyl era, really thin, barely a step up from a flexi disc, most likely made with recycled Bros albums. It looks like I'll have to get the new heavyweight edition.

i got to give mine a spin too now King. you are correct about the "tail-end" of the vinyl original heyday, lots we're made with little care! i don't recall it being horrible (other than that sound when too much music is crammed onto the LP) but, i'll let you know my 2014 opinion. i probably have not spun it in twenty years. :lol: :lol:
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

bronxapostle wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:I gave my copy from '93 a spin this evening -

i got to give mine a spin too now King. you are correct about the "tail-end" of the vinyl original heyday, lots we're made with little care! i don't recall it being horrible (other than that sound when too much music is crammed onto the LP) but, i'll let you know my 2014 opinion. i probably have not spun it in twenty years. :lol: :lol:
Hopefully the new edition will sound better - though still crammed on one disc. That seems a bit of a pity ...

I never picked up the original - but I bought the even more tail-end 'All This Useless Beauty' back in 1996. I was quite happy with the quality of that one back in the day, although it was fairly thin compared to what we get now. The front cover looked beautiful LP size. But they lost all of the booklet artwork, which was a bit of a pity. Would have been a nice gatefold ... But it wasn't ...
It's a fairly safe bet that 'All This Useless Beauty' will be 'Music On Vinyl''s next issue?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'd rush to buy PFM and ATUB on nice thick vinyl. My ATUB did indeed sound thin on the 1996 vinyl release and hasn't improved over the years !
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'd rush to buy PFM and ATUB on nice thick vinyl. My ATUB did indeed sound thin on the 1996 vinyl release and hasn't improved over the years !
Ymaginatif

Re: Juliet Letters / All This Useless Beauty on Vinyl releas

Post by Ymaginatif »

Looks like they've got 'All This Useless Beauty' lined up next, later this month:

http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/elv ... 8T7rvldVSU

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/B00LF0GLV6?tag=adapas-21

the saga continues ...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sure hope Kojak is next for this if WB exclusively releases. naturally, PAINTED FROM MEMORY is VERY MUCH anticipated as well. 8)
Last edited by bronxapostle on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

As I've noted elsewhere the vinyl edition of ATUB does it's artwork far more justice than the cd editions. The 'picture frame' effect (affect? - can't remember which is correct!) of the front is more direct without the 'jewel box' trim of the cd editions -

Even better is how the back looks. While the cds are crowded out with graphics -

- the 12" vinyl has a gloriously blank ( bar code aside) look -

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

johnfoyle wrote: Image
This pic reminds me: has anyone else ever noticed the optical allusion caused by the positioning of Steve's face that gives him a Cyrano de Bergerac nose?
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Azmuda wrote:
johnfoyle wrote: Image
This pic reminds me: has anyone else ever noticed the optical allusion caused by the positioning of Steve's face that gives him a Cyrano de Bergerac nose?
:lol: now that you mention it! yes!

And Pete Thomas has the halo of a saint, while somebody has been throwing tomatoes at Bruce Thomas (but has been missing badly). 8)
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Now that I have a few of these in the Music On Vinyl series (not just E.C.), I must say that while the vinyl quality seems to be fine, the artwork is usually a bit disappointing. It always looks a bit 'blown up': ever so slightly blurred. Particularly the fonts lose their sharpness. Also, the colour settings can be a bit off, so that ALL This Useless Beauty looks very dark and Might Like A Rose looks greenish. The sleeve is always varnished, so it looks shiny and new, but the underlying artwork is most often not up to scratch.

I spoke to somebody from Music On Vinyl about this, and they admitted that they have to make do with what the record label gives them. So, while THEY take the utmost care to produce a high quality vinyl version, the record label might give them a) poor quality or incomplete (as with Might Like A rose) artwork, or b) inferior quality sound.
All together, not the prestige you'd hope for ...

Nevertheless - I'm still hoping for Kojak Variety and Painted From Memory to come out ... fool that I am :)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Kojak Variety vinyl is available for pre-order: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kojak-Variety-1 ... s+costello
Last edited by sweetest punch on Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
cwr

Post by cwr »

YES!

Now, Painted From Memory will be the only Costello album that's MIA on vinyl. No idea if Music On Vinyl has a shot at that one. Since it was a Mercury/Polygram release, what part of UMG would it be released on now?
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

sweetest punch wrote:The Kojak Variety vinyl is available for pre-order: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kojak-Variety-1 ... s+costello
To be released on my birthday? Nice touch! :)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Great as that is it'll be interesting to see what the finish on the sleeve of KV will be like. Their editions of Brutal Youth and Mighty Like A Rose both featured artwork blown up from the cd artwork. The MLAR one was awful, a really bleached effect. Most likely they had little choice. Steve Averill, who designed the sleeves, told me that most of the original artwork from sleeves he designed in the 80s & 90 s ( incl. U2) was dumped. Even the Rhino reissue on cd of KV featured ever so slightly brightened versions of it's artwork.

I e-mailed Steve Averill about KV debuting on vinyl, featuring the sleeve he designed . He replied -

I do remember at the time we produced vinyl sized artwork for Kojak Variety as it was a promotional piece at the time so it looked pretty good. However I’m sure the artwork is long since gone and they’ll do it from a CD again unless they have a copy of that print on file. You can nearly always tell as they have to rescan the already printed screen patter and have to knock it slightly out of focus to avoid a moire pattern showing too clearly. It wasn't too bad when going from vinyl to CD as was often the case but now we’re going the opposite direction the quality suffers.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

cwr

Post by cwr »

Can anyone vouch for the MOV edition being superior to the older vinyl of TJL?

Currently only $23.20 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KBEXZ8E/ref ... E3PFLLGPD6
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

I don't have the older edition, but I'm sure the MOV edition is on thicker vinyl and will feel richer. Certainly, in the case of All This Useless Beauty (where I can compare), the new edition is a much better choice for playing.

The MOV edition has some small issues with the artwork not being entirely 'on' (see above emails, the artwork is a bit fuzzy and seems 'blown up'), but I can live with that.
sweetest punch

Re: Juliet Letters / All This Useless Beauty on Vinyl release

Post by sweetest punch »

Extreme Honey will be released on 180 g 2 LP vinyl on February 9, 2015:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Extreme-Honey-1 ... s+Costello
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sulky lad

Re: Juliet Letters / All This Useless Beauty on Vinyl release

Post by sulky lad »

I suppose this is a series of chronological releases ( except for Trust on MoFi but how many are they going to press ? 50 copies would probably cover it :oops: