Extreme Honey debuting on Vinyl , Feb. '15

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Juliet Letters / All This Useless Beauty on Vinyl release

Post by johnfoyle »

It'll be good to see Extreme Honey in the 12" format - as Steve Averill told me elsewhere , designing it involved a interesting process -

That’s a funny tale. Elvis provided me with a load of images. I did the layout for it. I applied, like, one image, two images together; we needed this multi-layered image. He came into the office one day and he, literally, sat with me for, probably, about three hours. We moved very single image around on the screen, try that over here, try that over here etc. Eventually he turned to me and he said, laughing, ‘we got back exactly to where we were in the beginning. OK, you were right, I trust you’. That was the point where he realised that I hadn’t put it together randomly. I was actually working out the balance. The corners are kind of like a jigsaw. It’s like the sleeve for U2’s Achtung Baby. The joke on this was kind of The Ever Changing Faces of Elvis Costello. In a sense the only common feature is the glasses, in most cases.

Given the multiplicity of sources for the images it has to be assumed this will be a blow up from the cd sleeve. Hopefully the do best they can with it .
cwr

Re: Extreme Honey debuting on Vinyl , Feb. '15

Post by cwr »

The cropping of Bruce Thomas will be even clearer on the 12" sleeve
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Got my copy today. This is the 3rd MOV release I've ordered (since I already own the original vinyl editions of Spike, MLAR, TJL and ATUB-- is there a strong argument to be made for upgrading any of these to the MOV editions?), and while it does sound good, the cover art does, indeed, suffer from the same poor quality scanning that I've seen people complaining about.

It looks fine enough from a distance, but up close it's not too sharp. It seems like, with a little digging, the original elements could have been located, but the fact that a poor-selling contractual obligation best of like Extreme Honey is being released on 2LPs at all is unlikely enough.

The Attractions photo with Bruce pointedly cropped out didn't even make it to the back cover....
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I wish there was still a publication like ICE magazine which would give some insight about the nature of new releases and reissues. I'd be curious to know the ins and outs of the various vinyl editions that have come out, and what EC's level of involvement is. Does he take an active role in any of this process, or does he just sign off on them like he seemingly did with a lot of the Hip-O stuff?

I guess these are basically UK editions of the MOFI releases, although who will be in charge of Taking Liberties, since that is a title that MOFI apparently passed on? (I had emailed MOFI about the possibility of a TL edition and the response was that there were no plans for them to put out TL.)

Also, interesting that they'd go with a UK vinyl release of TL instead of 10BM&10HYF. I assume the odds are long on them ever putting out a new edition of OOOI, but it's still fairly easy to find an original copy of that on vinyl anyway...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

sweetest punch wrote:New vinyl editions on Amazon UK:
Armed Forces: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Armed-Forces-VI ... s+costello
According to Universal, Armed Forces comes with a 7" single

http://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/Armed-Fo ... WS90000000
cwr

Post by cwr »

It's still kind of stunning to me that it's 2015 and there is no sign of a Painted From Memory vinyl release. I never would have guessed that Extreme Honey would be out in a 2LP set before his album with Burt, which seems like it was destined to be played on a turntable with a 12" sleeve....
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

cwr wrote:It's still kind of stunning to me that it's 2015 and there is no sign of a Painted From Memory vinyl release. I never would have guessed that Extreme Honey would be out in a 2LP set before his album with Burt, which seems like it was destined to be played on a turntable with a 12" sleeve....
VERY much agree!!!! :cry:
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Music On Vinyl will release Deap Dead Blue on vinyl on Nov 27, 2015: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Dead-Blue- ... s+costello
cwr

Post by cwr »

WOW.

I guess at this point it's looking like we'll get a 180g release of Cruel Smile before we see Painted From Memory on vinyl, huh?

Not really a complaint. I'll buy it! I wish it were the beginning of a series of Meltdown 1995 releases, of course...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Music On Vinyl is releasing all the Warner albums.
I strongly doubt that they will issue any of the Universal albums or any other than the official released Warner albums.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Does this mean there is even a SLIGHT chance that they could release a vinyl edition of The Gwendolyn Letters?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

There's always a SLIGHT chance...

...there's a SLIGHT chance he'll invite me up on stage on Thursday to interview him instead of Nick Hornby... :evil: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

sweetest punch wrote:Music On Vinyl will release Deap Dead Blue on vinyl on Nov 27, 2015: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Dead-Blue- ... s+costello
Waw! I like this very much - an album that is made for vinyl!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Interesting - it's an album made for the dark recesses of one of my EC CD draws - just in front of Il Songo and a The Juliet Letters and, to a degree, River in Reverse.

I'm not generally a fan of EC's collaborative works.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
cwr

Post by cwr »

Now that Music On Vinyl has released Extreme Honey and Deep Dead Blue on Vinyl, doesn't it seem like there is a very real possibility that they could put out a double LP set of the Costello & Nieve 5-EP box?
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

cwr wrote:Now that Music On Vinyl has released Extreme Honey and Deep Dead Blue on Vinyl, doesn't it seem like there is a very real possibility that they could put out a double LP set of the Costello & Nieve 5-EP box?
That would be cool - how about five 10" records?!

(their website allows you to send in suggestions ...)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Reminder - Deep Dark Blue now out on vinyl -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017 ... ailpages00
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

johnfoyle wrote:Reminder - Deep Dark Blue now out on vinyl -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017 ... ailpages00
I picked it up - a nice straightforward vinyl release. A beautiful recording to spin. I'm glad they didn't gloss the sleeve (as the label seems to be prone to - extra gloss to hide the fact that they have low-resolution artwork), but this one comes in 'organic' cardboard, a bit like the original. Looks lovely.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Good to hear, thanks