Elvis solo, Nashville (TN), June 21, 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis solo, Nashville (TN), June 21, 2014

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
migdd

Re: Elvis solo, Nashville (TN), June 21, 2014

Post by migdd »

Bebe is in the audience tonight in Nashville. And she's wearing . . . gasp . . . a hat!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Thanks to Vern for the heads-up.

Oh never mind. It never really happened. Just an internet ruse.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... hoto_reply
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
Elvis Costello cheated on the high notes of "Veronica," but in a most lovely way.
Elvis just countrified "Lip Service" amd kicked Nashville's ass
Short video of "New Amsterdam": http://instagram.com/p/ph3xe8mwTD/#

"Alison": http://instagram.com/p/ph_NSCNcOS/#

Facebook posts say "Cheap Reward," "Poison Moon," and "Party Girl" were played.
And No Coffee Table

Elvis works out "Watching the Detectives" with a digital delay pedal and analog grit.
"Alison" arrives through a distorted L-5 and cracked vocal that portrays a thousand broken hearts.[
Elvis dedicates Richard Thompson's "Tease Me & Lie" to "Mr. And Mrs. Cheney."
(That means "Withered and Died," of course.)
And No Coffee Table

Two short videos of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?" with Larkin Poe:
http://instagram.com/p/piEa8otcFo/#
http://instagram.com/p/piEvbVGecf/#

And now it dawns on me that the countrified "Lip Service" was "Cheap Reward."
And No Coffee Table

http://twitter.com/BebeBuellBand/status ... 9332793345
@ElvisCostello @TheRyman 2night was so good-great 2see him in that venue!We had such wonderful seats, too. Thank you,EC & RM~it was heaven:)
Short "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" video: http://instagram.com/p/piQ8DywO1d/#
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Two short videos of "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?" with Larkin Poe:
http://instagram.com/p/piEa8otcFo/#
http://instagram.com/p/piEvbVGecf/#

And now it dawns on me that the countrified "Lip Service" was "Cheap Reward."
yeah. i was slow on that one too ANCT! having seen each of those tweets, one stating the playing of CHEAP REWARD and the other saying a "countrified" LIP SERVICE...we should have known. but hey, we're NOT Miracle Men! :lol: :lol: wish we'd get a setlist for our tally/matrix posts already!! :cry: :cry:
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I will try, bleary eyed as I am

Usual disclaimers as to order and completeness

Jack
K Horse
Either Side
Veronica
Watch Step
Cheap Reward
Poison Moon
Last Year
Ascension
Meantimes
Walking my Baby
G Train
Beyond
WTD
Church Underground
Alison
Quiet about it

With LP
Pads
Goin Back
Love Field
Long Distance
Withered
Hoover
Cain

Ship
Jimmie/Bro
With LP: PLU

DAVE
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks Dave for your bleary effort. so just the ONE debut for this tour last night; CHEAP? see you Tuesday and hope WITHERED stays in the set. was the LAST YEAR acoustic or electric?
And No Coffee Table

setlist.fm includes a few songs not on Dave's list:

Radio Soul
New Amsterdam
Our Little Angel
My Little Blue Window
A Slow Drag With Josephine

Other than "New Amsterdam" (which is on video), can you confirm these were played, Dave?

And was "Party Girl" not played after all?
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

There was no Radio soul, no party girl

He did do our little angel (with lonely hearts club story)
History Repeats

Also-no Josephine (just jimmy)

And, yes, new Amsterdam/hide your love away
And No Coffee Table

Thanks! What about "My Little Blue Window"?
History Repeats

No blue window
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Wow see I was tired
New am and angel yes, the rest no
Still waiting after 12 years to hear Blue Window, love that song

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Wow see I was tired
New am and angel yes, the rest no
Still waiting after 12 years to hear Blue Window, love that song

Dave
you are still waiting cos you NEVER saw him in NEW JERSEY!!! :lol: :lol:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... sbury_Park
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Great show last night in a fantastic venue. Really liked the Ryman.

A few comments:

Last Year was acoustic, not electric.

Pretty sure I recognized Dr. Spooky and Spooky Girlfriend in the crowd, but too shy to go over and say hi. Why are they not on here anymore? Or BlueChair?

Very impressed with Elvis' guitar chops. Almost risen to classical guitar maestro-level status.

Impressed with Elvis' generosity in playing with Larkin Poe -- allowing them as much stage time as he did. I agree with the others -- they were very talented, not at all diminished by their fetching good looks, but some of it went on a bit too long I thought. Impressive talent nonetheless.

Great time overall. Nashville Broadway scene is a bit rowdy and drunk for my taste but we did see a pretty damn good house band playing at The Wheel just before heading over to the Ryman. George Jones, Merle Haggard songs.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville ... an-6-21-14

Elvis Costello w/Larkin Poe at the Ryman, 6/21/14

The Spin has seen Elvis Costello perform as many things over the years: the seething, syllable-spitting frontman of a tightly wound unit called The Attractions, one sweltering night in 1984 at Vanderbilt's Memorial Gym; the expansive focal point of a country-rock outfit called The Confederates, consisting of former Elvis 1.0 sidemen and early producer Nick Lowe, again at Memorial in 1986; an amusingly seedy game-show host playing songs off an enormous spinning wheel some 25 years later on the stage of the Ryman. But over the course of nearly a dozen shows in 30 years, there are two things we've never seen Costello be: solo for the length of a concert, and disengaged.

Scratch one of those off the list.

All those earlier guises (or variations thereof) put in appearances Saturday night as Costello ransacked one of rock's most voluminous catalogs at the Ryman, a stage that ought to award him a plaque at this juncture. Granted, solo shows are rarely our favorite way to see an artist, and not just because they're missing the tension, sparks of inspiration and musical color that result from other players. Over the years we've seen them bring out the worst in performers, from rote recitation of past glories to shameless wallows in audience adoration.

But if Costello's 29-song stand amounted to a one-man Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, drawing upon material as far back as pre-dating 1977's My Aim Is True and as freshly composed as last week, it was hardly a docent's tour. Rather than fall back on the usual and-then-I-wrote-"Less Than Zero" formula for such occasions — and frankly, we'd settle for that, too — he turned the night into a musical reclamation project, eschewing obvious hits for less-familiar stunners culled from across his career.

That meant, as a gangster-hatted Costello took the stage, if you heard a song from the stellar proto-Americana King of America album, you wouldn't get an expected favorite like "Brilliant Mistake" or "American Without Tears." Instead, he set the tone for the night with the lesser-known but riveting "Jack of All Parades," brandishing its chorus "To be the love of one true heart / Or the jack of all parades" like a statement of long-tail career purpose. Similarly, when he followed with a selection from 1979's beloved Get Happy, he didn't reach for "I Can't Stand up for Falling Down," "Temptation" or other concert staples: He dusted off one of that joyously overstuffed record's finest deep cuts, the Motown rave-up "King Horse," evoking the Attractions' busy arrangement with a fanfare of percussive strumming.

The effect was that when he indeed played the hits — a "Veronica" that remained urgent even with the singer cannily protecting his upper register, a "Watch Your Step" dripping with held-back menace — they sounded excitingly unfamiliar and new in context. Conversely, newer songs such as "Come the Meantime" (from last year's Wise up Ghost collaboration with The Roots), "Church Underground" (from the Nashville-recorded National Ransom) and "Ascension Day" (from the Allen Toussaint project The River in Reverse) took on a drama that sharpened their already barbed hooks. They also stood out in a way that's often difficult among one of Costello's periodic bombardments of 15 songs in a batch — these relatively little-known cuts provoked huge crowd responses.

That was due as much to Costello's force of personality and razor-sharp delivery as the strong material. Admitting that his getup made him look a little like a Boardwalk Empire extra, he asserted that the night's theme would not be "love and deceit," as planned, but rather "life in exile." In a jovial mood, more relaxed and conversational than in his hosting duties on the Spectacle interview show, he charted his path from big-band singer's son to relatively recent father of twin sons. Perhaps the funniest line of the night was his fondly exasperated aside about his kids' immersion in The LEGO Movie. ("I can tell you one thing, though: Everything's fucking awesome.")

Yet he came across not so much as the "man out of time" from one of his best songs but a man willing to stake his work against any test time cares to administer. That was clear from the juxtaposition of two fine songs from his pre-stardom Honky Tonk Demos days — the early "Lip Service" warm-up "Cheap Reward" and the elegantly bilious ballad "Poison Moon" — with a live performance of the tune he unveiled recently subbing for Lana del Ray on David Letterman. Titled "The Last Year of My Youth" and pointedly written as Costello's 60th birthday nears, it's an urbane, curdled ballad made all the more edgily wistful by the singer's jabbing electric accompaniment. Hearing Costello's oldest and newest work that close together was like skipping from the first volume of Edward St. Aubyn's Patrick Melrose novels to the last — the gathering of bitter experience may be evident, but the lacerating wit and unsparing eye were there all along.

Miraculously, the show only got better from there. Adjusting his hat to a rakish angle, Costello settled into a chair as his own special guest at center stage, then reminisced about the follies and failures of his early gigs before launching into the late-’70s B-side "Ghost Train." (For those keeping track of such things: That's two songs from the odds-and-sods collection Taking Liberties, zero off This Year's Model.) The set proper closed with a pindrop-hushed "Alison" and a piercing reading of the late Jesse Winchester's "Quiet About It," before Costello emerged for the first encore with Megan and Rebecca Lovell from opening act Larkin Poe. As openers, the Atlanta-based sisters delivered a promising set of swampy Southern Gothic folk highlighted by sinuous rhythms, Megan's razorwire leads on resonator guitar, and their otherworldly harmonies.

With Costello, however, the siblings coalesced into a unit that occasionally sounded something like a front-porch string band offset by celestial Beach Boys vocals and stinging David Lindley-esque slide work. That was as gorgeous as it sounds on covers of The Byrds' "Goin' Back" (sung in honor of its recently deceased co-writer, the great Gerry Goffin), Richard Thompson's "Withered and Died" and Little Feat's "Long Distance Love"; it was prettier still on Costello's own "Love Field" (an ambient beaut rescued from the messy Goodbye Cruel World LP) and "Hoover Factory," as arrestingly spacy and weird as ever.

The resulting ovation brought Costello back for one more encore: at the keyboard for "Shipbuilding," as dreamily devastating an indictment of war as economic recovery as it was in the days of the Falkland Islands, then finally closing with "What's So Funny 'Bout Peace Love and Understanding." His fervently unironic reading of Nick Lowe's parodic plunge into hippie-dippie earnestness remains as affecting as ever, but the concert hit its emotional peak just moments before, after an engrossing long monologue about the economic woes that put Costello's grandfather out of work as talkies came into fashion. That led into a spellbinding reading of one of his best songs of recent years, the Thompson-like "Jimmie Standing in the Rain," a snapshot of hard times that's almost cinematic in its imagery of desolation. At the song's climax, the singer stepped away from the mic, swaggered to the apron with his guitar silent, and began to sing the old Depression-era plaint "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?" Hitting the last high note like an air-raid siren, he lifted an accusatory finger to the crowd and let the question reverberate as the room erupted. Even solo, Elvis Costello is a force of 10.

Set List: Elvis Costello at the Ryman, 6/21/14

1. Jack of All Parades
2. King Horse
3. Either Side of the Same Town
4. Veronica
5. Watch Your Step
6. Cheap Reward
7. Poison Moon
8. New Amsterdam / You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
9. Ascension Day
10. The Last Year of My Youth
11. Come the Meantimes
12. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
13. Ghost Train
14. Beyond Belief
15. Watching the Detectives
16. Church Underground
17. Our Little Angel
18. Alison
19. Quiet About it

Encore 1 (w/Larkin Poe):
20. Pads, Paws and Claws
21. Goin' Back
22. Love Field
23. Long Distance Love
24. Hoover Factory
25. Withered And Died
26. Blame It on Cain

Encore 2:
27. Shipbuilding
28. Jimmie Standing in the Rain / Brother Can You Spare a Dime?
29. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding (w/Larkin Poe)

charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=496080

... Lovely 'Goin' back' part of this torrent ...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Another review that has surfaced from the Daily Reveille dated October 3, 2014. The author is Natalie Caruso aka Madison Square:

"Show Review: Elvis Costello at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Sat. June 21, 2014.

In light of my recent edition of KLSU’s Magical Mystery Tour where I showcased English singer-songwriter Elvis Costello, I chose to review the one of his concerts I attended on June 21. The show was at the infamous Ryman Auditorium in the heart of Nashville, Tennessee. (Imagine the cowboy boots you see on game day times 10.)

I actually met and took a picture with Elvis, but, sadly, it was the wrong Elvis. As you can imagine there's a few Elvis Presleys walking around Nashville. ;)

The acoustics of the theater (est. 1892 as the Union Gospel Tabernacle), although quite large, compliment the singer-songwriter style. Throughout, Costello’s rough yet refined voice (HOW does he do that?!) resonated in the space, even when he pulled away from the microphone for an entire song.

The show was an acoustic set—just Costello and a myriad of guitars. This arrangement allows him to improvise and toy with the melodies. During songs like “Ghost Train” and “Watching the Detectives” I missed the full arrangement from the beloved Attractions band, but tear-inducing ballads like “Alison” and “Veronica” were served well.

The show had a 19-song set list and two encores of 10 more songs. Isn’t that every fan’s dream? He brought the warm-up band (a local sister act named Larkin Poe) back out to include female voices and a slide guitar, which was played more as an orchestration rather than a classic country instrument.

He performed many covers, including a medley of his own “New Amsterdam” and the Beatles’ “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away.” Costello’s shouts of “Hey!” in the song were enough to raise the hair on your arms.

If you’re a concert junkie like me, you may have experienced most of your shows standing and grooving. As much as I wanted that to be the case here, the crowd was older and the seats were tight. In that way, the show was much more an appreciation of the music. The theater was extremely quiet throughout the show, which made it difficult at times to sing along. It was as if the Ryman Auditorium was once again a church and here the audience was paying reverence to, as I like to call Costello, the “King of Alternative Pop.” Their love for the artist was expressed in the standing ovations after almost every song.

Elvis Costello puts on a hell of a show. This night reaffirmed his place in my mind as one of the most brilliant and breath-taking artists of our time. After the show, we skipped down the Nashville strip like it was the Yellow Brick Road, singing Costello’s music at the (almost) top of our lungs."

The Daily Reveille is the newspaper of Louisiana State University.

MOOT