My Favorite Album Podcast - Pete Thomas, Steve Nieve, etc.

Pretty self-explanatory
Jeremy Dylan

My Favorite Album Podcast - Pete Thomas, Steve Nieve, etc.

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

As some of you may know, I started a podcast called My Favorite Album at the beginning of this year. Each episode I have a guest musician on and we breakdown their favorite record and it's impact on their own music.

I got together with both Pete Thomas and Steve Nieve at their hotel while they were in town with Elvis and we recorded two great episodes of the show.

Pete, who chose Are You Experienced by the Jimi Hendrix experience, had actually done a great deal of prep and made extensive notes before our session, which resulted in an epic 75 minute recording session which was impossible to cut down to a single half hour episode. So the result is my first two-parter, the first of which went up this morning: http://mrjeremydylan.tumblr.com/post/84 ... n-the-jimi

I knew Hendrix drummer Mitch Mitchell was a strong influence on Pete's drumming, but until this chat, I had no idea how much and how directly Mitchell's influence had permeated through his work with Elvis. Pete points out many examples throughout the episode - with the most significant one to come in the second part of the episode.

Have a listen if you get a chance and let me know what you think.
Dr. Luther

Re: My Favorite Album Podcast - Pete Thomas, Steve Nieve, et

Post by Dr. Luther »

Wonderful. That was a real treat.

Two of my favorite musicians of all time, Pete Thomas and Mitch Mitchell.
Each is criminally under-acknowledged.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Excellent excellent excellent. Perfect for helping get through an unproductive Friday afternoon. :)
veronicacostello

Post by veronicacostello »

Can we get a "Like" button on here or sumpin?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Interesting and informative. Funny how the Coltrane cadre gets fused into so many young minds. I would have picked Mr. Moon as the influence before hearing this. You kept him engaged throughout. Well done.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

I think you'll enjoy the second part, which has some more great anecdotes and the reveal of his most direct Hendrix-to-Elvis drum homage.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

And here is part 2 of 2 with Pete: http://mrjeremydylan.com/post/858598173 ... n-the-jimi

We delve into the back half of the album and get Pete's stories on I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea, Earthbound and playing Foxey Lady with the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Part One was extreme fun. Looking forward to part two. Excellent work, Sir.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

This is great, Jeremy! Lovely to hear Pete at length - he's such a good-humoured chap. And I've always loved that fill he does in 'Home is Anywhere' - now I know where he got it from! Did you say you've done one with Steve, too?
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Thanks Neil. Pete is certainly a fun guy to gab with.

And yes, there's an episode with Steve in the can which will probably go out in about a month.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Fantastic - really looking forward to it! A month is gonna seem like a long time. Thanks again for sorting these out.
Jeremy Dylan

Re: My Favorite Album Podcast - Pete Thomas, Steve Nieve, etc.

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

My latest episode features a former Confederate - all around legend (in all senses of the word) and a real Heartbreaker, Mr Benmont Tench. We dive very deep on the Stones classic 'Beggars Banquet'.

http://mrjeremydylan.com/post/139013975 ... nch-on-the

I have two episodes coming up that will definitely be of interest to EC fans. The first, with Wise Up Ghost producer Steve Mandel, is on the way next week.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Great chat , a huge range of topics covered , including a brief , knowing reference to Armed Forces - Benmont Tench is so articulate.
Jack of All Parades

First, shame on me Jeremy for forgetting about your interview program. That will be rectified as I have subscribed. Mr. Tench has such a visceral attachment to music and his sheer love and admiration for this record is palpable. And you do the best thing- you for the most part get out of the way and just let him talk and talk he can. Wonderful record, wonderful memories for me of a record I too treasure as I found this record around the same time as he did, wonderful engagement with a guest and a wonderful way to hopefully engage a new generation with some meaningful, playful and lasting musical art. And then to find out you engaged Mr. Isbell and that that was about a Stones record, too. I am over the moon. Now on to your show about Southeastern. Live Oak is one of two songs from the last five years that I feel will be played two hundred years from now on whatever sound conveyance machine is favored at that time; it is that timeless. I also enjoyed Mr. Tench's hat. I would also welcome the chance to take both of you on as to the pros of a Parson's version over a Jagger/Richard's version without the option of 'taring and feathering and riding you out of town on a rail'.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Jack of All Parades

Jeremy- look who 'cleaned up' the other evening. His acceptance speech was as clean, elegant, heartfelt and graceful as any of his wonderful songs.

https://youtu.be/PyUpfe3AuVQ
ice nine

Post by ice nine »

I have become a fan. Enjoyed the Pete Thomas episode and next up is the Kacey Musgraves episode.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think that you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt
- M. Twain
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Jack, thanks for all those kind words on the show and for listening so attentively. I will tell Benmont you dug his hat, which I thought made him look very much like a classic LA gumshoe.

And I hope you enjoyed the Kacey ep Ice Nine.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

My latest episode of the show is one I believe will be of interest to the population around these parts. I spent about an hour chatting with Wise Up Ghost producer Steve Mandel about Blood and Chocolate, King of America, the process of making 'Wise Up Ghost' and the history of Elvis's collaborations with the Roots on Late Night.

Steve is a very personable and low key dude with great taste and a pleasure to have on the show. And his (as yet unreleased) Squeeze tribute album featuring members of the Roots backing Elvis, Difford and Tilbrook, Todd Rungren and numerous other luminaries is absolute dynamite.

http://mrjeremydylan.com/post/140375739 ... l-on-elvis