Elvis Costello Solo Carnegie Hall June 24/25

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis Costello Solo Carnegie Hall June 24/25

Post by bronxapostle »

Eugene wrote:Hopefully, tonight will be Morristown 2 revisited.
you called it, equally impressive night two of a stint!
Eugene wrote:Once again, Lisa has a "conversation" with Elvis and gets her requested "So Like Candy" played. :lol:

Great show; blew Tuesday away.
don't usually dig call & response folks, but Lisa did GREAT 2x. Tuesday so VERY standard & last night so VASTLY impressive. naturally, leaves me with the desire to get to Delaware tomorrow or New Hampshire Saturday, but sadly seems an impossibility as Wilmington is long sold out and it is my granddaughters third birthday, though the party IS Sunday. hmmmmmmm :?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

and a VERY inspiring goodbye from E last night, though words were most times hard to capture fully at these shows. something along the lines of "i'm gonna write some songs and see you real soon." maybe doc will get it verbatim for us! 8) 8) 8)
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

bronxapostle wrote:
Eugene wrote:Hopefully, tonight will be Morristown 2 revisited.
you called it, equally impressive night two of a stint!
Eugene wrote:Once again, Lisa has a "conversation" with Elvis and gets her requested "So Like Candy" played. :lol:

Great show; blew Tuesday away.
don't usually dig call & response folks, but Lisa did GREAT 2x. Tuesday so VERY standard & last night so VASTLY impressive. naturally, leaves me with the desire to get to Delaware tomorrow or New Hampshire Saturday, but sadly seems an impossibility as Wilmington is long sold out and it is my granddaughters third birthday, though the party IS Sunday. hmmmmmmm :?
You're not wrong, but this is a great example about how quickly expectations can change. I mean, a year ago, who would have considered a set that included "Jack Of All Parades," "Last Boat Leaving," "Poison Moon," "Ghost Train," & "Town Cryer" (among other notable tracks) to be "so VERY standard?"
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Couldn't Call it Unexpected and Voice in the Dark were highlights for me. I wish he had done more tunes on keyboard...but with 38 songs and just under 3 hours, who can complain!

According to Twitter Steve Buscemi and Laurie Anderson were both there last night.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

I think that reference to "gonna write some songs and see you real soon" has to do with the project he's working on with Burt Bachrach, a musical for Broadway.

OR (and this is my real hope), he's FINALLY going to record a new album with the Imposters. It's been 7 years, after all!
Eric1616

Post by Eric1616 »

I'm not a "regular" here, but I follow the gigography somewhat regularly to keep up with news, setlists, etc.

Could someone please help me locate a recording of the second (last night's) Carnegie Hall show? I was third row on the left (directly behind the very drunk woman who was ejected from the Hall mid-way though the show); I made the LOUD request for So Like Candy that got Elvis' attention. Much thanks.

Eric.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

scielle wrote:Couldn't Call it Unexpected and Voice in the Dark were highlights for me. I wish he had done more tunes on keyboard...but with 38 songs and just under 3 hours, who can complain!

According to Twitter Steve Buscemi and Laurie Anderson were both there last night.

I was also told that Stephen Colbert was in attendance.

Dave
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

Loved Couldn't Call It Unexpected....I thought it was great when Elvis got choked up at the end. Pleasant surprise of night 2 was "Toledo"....didn't see that coming.
Good to see him do Riot Act. Great experience for me & a friend coming from Dallas. I had never been to Carnegie Hall.

I hate to say anything negative, but I thought the his sound guy blew it. This is Carnegie Hall, it should have sounded much better. First night we were up on the 3rd tier, so we thought it would be better last night when we had nice floor seats, but it didn't.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Eric1616 wrote:I made the LOUD request for So Like Candy that got Elvis' attention. Much thanks.

Eric.
Who's Lisa?
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

docinwestchester wrote:
Eric1616 wrote:I made the LOUD request for So Like Candy that got Elvis' attention. Much thanks.

Eric.
Who's Lisa?
You met her Tuesday night and in Morristown-the woman by my side.
docinwestchester

Eugene wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:

Eric.
Who's Lisa?
You met her Tuesday night and in Morristown-the woman by my side.
Cool, but then what's Eric talkin' about?
tinbrooklyn

Post by tinbrooklyn »

Hi BA. Thank you again, Patrick has a ticket for Fri in Del if you are interested. Driving down Friday afternoon, you are more than welcome to join us. Patrick is driving and there is plenty of room
Tony
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

oh my Lord...where would i have to meet you??? DON'T TEMPT ME!!! thanks for thinking of me.
tinbrooklyn

Post by tinbrooklyn »

You could meet us in Brooklyn
tinbrooklyn

Post by tinbrooklyn »

You can meet us in Brooklyn
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

VERY tempting, NATURALLY! but, short notice & family responsibilities will have me decline. but, NEXT TIME...i'd love to. thanks Tony & Patrick!!!
tinbrooklyn

Post by tinbrooklyn »

I understand Next time, Patrick and I will include you on road trips.
CD is great, thanks again
Enjoy the party
Tony
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'm gonna be blue not joining you; would be GREAT! i hope you have an awesome show AGAIN! :cry: :cry:
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

http://soundblab.com/reviews/gigs/6097- ... ne-24-2014

Elvis Costello
Carnegie Hall

Reviewed By Kevin Orton

Elvis Costello's debut at New York Citiy's Carnegie Hall was billed as a "solo" show. By solo, it wasn't Elvis sans Imposters or Attractions, but one man alone on stage with 6 guitars and a keyboard. Longtime fan that I am, I didn't quite know what to expect. I have to confess to finding Costello's aim a little more haphazard than true since Blood & Chocolate. While albums like Brutal Youth and When I Was Cruel proved he hadn't quite left the building, all his self-concious genre hopping over the years began to wear thin. My Musical hero had come dangerously close to coming off as a diletante, playing a game of Musical chairs with Attention Deficit Disorder. And while his recent foray with the Roots was his strongest in years, I wasn't expecting him to play much off it. Well, he did. "Come The Meantimes" turned out to be an unlikely audience participation number at one point.

But he certainly delved into his back catalogue. With irreverent aplomb. He introduced one song with, “I’m going to play you a song now that I really hate. I wrote it in 10 minutes, and then it was a hit.” He then did a lonesome, gut wrenching finger picked version of "Every Day I Write The Book" which bore no semblence to it's it's perkier Punch The Clock counterpart. Positively stunning.

More than any other album, Imperial Bedroom figured prominantly with brilliant acoustic versions of "Man Out Of Time", "Beyond Belief", "Town Crier" and a harrowing "Shabby Doll". A lonesome "Almost Blue" was played on organ/keyboard along with a haunting "Shipbuilding".

While the likes of "Alison" and "Veronica" are to be expected, I was completely caught off guard when he launched into a rare, My Aim Is True outtake, "Poison Moon". A priceless moment for any serious Costello fan. "Less Than Zero" was also a pleasant surprise along with "King Horse". Other highlights included "New Amsterdam" where he playfully segued into the Beatles "Hide Your Love Away" before hitting the last vese, as if to perversly hightlight any similarity.

If his dissonant, dark take on 'Watching Detectives" wasn't blistering enough, it was topped by a positively savage, "I Want You". National Ransom's "Church Underground" was another welcome slice of Musical Noir.

Another thing this solo show highlighted was what a truely gifted guitarist Costello is. I must say I kind of took him for granted in this arena. While he's no Hendrix or Beck, one could see what a seriously versitile rhythm player he is.

In between songs, Costello's banter was witty and warm, offering up family stories and anecdotes. One song, "Jimmy Standing In The Rain" was about his grandfather, who struggled as a musician during the Depression after much success prior. At one point during this number, he stepped off mic and was heard clear as a bell. What struck me other than the brilliant acoustics of the venue was that the unamplified "mix" in the house was far less muddier than the mic mix. Which is surprising for Carnegie Hall. Costello played a few unfamiliar and new numbers like "Condescention Day" and "Four More Tears" and frankly, you had to struggle to hear the lyrics. But among the newer numbers, "Last Day Of My Youth" was a true standout.

A rousing, "Peace Love & Understanding" ended the evening, and despite him playing for 2 hours and 45 minutes, you still wanted more. Now, I've seen Costello before and even once with the Attractions at the Beacon Theatre. And let me tell you, that Beacon show was pretty damn good. This topped them all. Throughout Costello was in spry, artful form, performing as if a weight had been lifted off him. A truly masterful showman. Binging it all down to a whisper from a scream. An intimate, raucous and inspiring evening.
docinwestchester

Complete night 1 video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... T-fnCJIRQY

Night 2 to follow soon.
docinwestchester

Eugene wrote:Less than a week away...shameless bump. Can't even imagine how many different songs the two nights might bring.
Based on the grid:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Solo_Tour

different songs
11 duplicates
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
Eugene wrote:Less than a week away...shameless bump. Can't even imagine how many different songs the two nights might bring.
Based on the grid:

different songs
11 duplicates

how's that doc??? i know the grid doesn't count "fragments" like i do...yet, my numbers are further apart than just 'fragments' would allow for as i had 35 played for night one. and then yes, only 11 duplicates of the 41 on my paperwork for night two. hence, 35 + 30 different gets it to 65 for the two nights (again, yes, by my counting all snippets played...but NINETEEN is way far away statistically.) check again, please. i'm transferring analog night two FIRST right now. my night one has many blips throughout, so i have not yet decided if i will do it at all.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

docinwestchester wrote:Complete night 1 video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... T-fnCJIRQY

Night 2 to follow soon.
I can't wait.

I love your videos. You have a much steadier hand than I.
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:
Based on the grid:

different songs
11 duplicates

how's that doc??? i know the grid doesn't count "fragments" like i do...yet, my numbers are further apart than just 'fragments' would allow for as i had 35 played for night one. and then yes, only 11 duplicates of the 41 on my paperwork for night two. hence, 35 + 30 different gets it to 65 for the two nights (again, yes, by my counting all snippets played...but NINETEEN is way far away statistically.) check again, please. i'm transferring analog night two FIRST right now. my night one has many blips throughout, so i have not yet decided if i will do it at all.
According to the grid, night 1 had 30 songs, night 2 had 38 songs, which equals 68 for both nights.

46 unique songs + 11 duplicates (x2) = 68 songs both nights.

This excludes fragments, as you noted.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
According to the grid, night 1 had 30 songs, night 2 had 38 songs, which equals 68 for both nights.

46 unique songs + 11 duplicates (x2) = 68 songs both nights.

This excludes fragments, as you noted.
doc...glad i KNOW you are a better surgeon than a mathematician.

your mistake here is NOT counting the ELEVEN once at least! i have not said it clearly...hope below helps.

this would be the equation you would use with those numbers:

30 + (38-11) implying that of the 38 played on night two, we would have to subtract 11 as they are included in the initial 30. got it???
so, using THOSE numbers...it still comes to 57!! in fact, now that i had a moment, i went and counted the grid for just the two last entries (CARNEGIE)...totals FIFTY SEVEN!!!