Elvis Costello Solo Carnegie Hall June 24/25

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis Costello Solo Carnegie Hall June 24/25

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://twitter.com/StevenMandel/status/ ... 9507573760
Steven Mandel wrote:Hey Mom: Heard a song I cowrote with @ElvisCostello tonight AT CARNEGIE HALL!!!
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Amazing show!!! My personal highlights:

Walking My Baby Back Home
Shabby Doll
Ascension Day and You Turned to Me (on guitar!)
Come the Meantimes
Jimmie Standing in the Rain (always a favorite)
Alison (it always amazing to me how Elvis can bring such life to a song he's played so much)
And No Coffee Table

Steven Mandel again:
Highlights from Costello at Carnegie Hall tonight include: Jack Of All Parades, Town Cryer, Poison Moon, Last Boat Leaving, Leas Than Zero!
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Gotta say: A great but rather typical show tonight at Carnegie. Given the occasion I was expecting something a bit more, um special, a serious shakeup of the set list. Here's fingers crossed for tomorrow.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

MY 3000th POST!! 8) 8) 8)
Arbogast wrote:Gotta say: A great but rather typical show tonight at Carnegie. Given the occasion I was expecting something a bit more, um special, a serious shakeup of the set list. Here's fingers crossed for tomorrow.
agreed on EACH and EVERY statement here Arbogast! let's hope for MANY different tomorrow. got to meet TinBrooklyn and Patrick for a drink and talk before show...very nice to know you both. thanks for the DOUBLE Johnnie Black Tony. very gracious. here's the abbrev setlist:

Jack
K Horse
Either
Veronica
Last Boat
Poison M
New Am
Hide Love
Ascension
Everyday (sexsmith)
Walkin
Ghost T
Shabby Doll (AWESOME)
w/ Here I Am (Come and Take Me) AL GREEN
Turned to me
beyond
Love in Mind> NEIL YOUNG
Town Cryer
detectives
Church
alison

shipb
more tears
meantimes
last year (acoustic) VERY disappointing compared to orig
want you
say a prayer
slow drag
man out
jimmie
brother

mood again
almost blue
zero
plu

further review needed tomorrow for the CRYER fragment ANCT and all tally/matrix watchers!
Last edited by bronxapostle on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And No Coffee Table

bronxapostle wrote:w/ Here I Am (Come and Take Me) AL GREEN
This was undoubtedly in honor of Teenie Hodges, who wrote the song with Al Green and died Sunday.

I could have sworn EC had played a snippet of this song before, but I'm not finding it on the wiki site.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
This was undoubtedly in honor of Teenie Hodges, who wrote the song with Al Green and died Sunday.

I could have sworn EC had played a snippet of this song before, but I'm not finding it on the wiki site.

cool...did not know that story. thanks N!!! he did it for a good 90 seconds...a stunning take on SHABBY!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:

cool...did not know that story. thanks N!!! he did it for a good 90 seconds...a stunning take on SHABBY!
Video uploading now. Should be viewable in about 15 minutes.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

the speediest doc in westchester!! :lol: :lol: i guess do the TOWN CRYER tonight too if possible for us OCD song trackers please.
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:
further review needed tomorrow for the CRYER fragment ANCT and all tally/matrix watchers!
Neil Young - Love In Mind

And I've seen love make a fool of a man
He tried to make a loser win
But I got nothing to lose, I can't get back again

Video coming soon.

Neil played this in Carnegie Hall earlier this year:

It's from the 1973 "Time Fades Away" album, which is only available on vinyl:

http://timefadesawaypetition.thrasherswheat.org/
Last edited by docinwestchester on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

A++++++++++ work tonight doc figuring these both out. THANKS!
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

I really enjoyed You Turned to Me. I love hearing anything from North.

I find my favorite part of these shows is when he does the piano ballads. So powerful and emotional. I could sit through an entire show of that!

Overall I thought it was an excellent show, though I too expected more of a departure from the usual set lists. Perhaps tonight??
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i found the "seated" "special guest" portion exceptional tonight...longer than usual as it fit the hall nicely

Walkin
Ghost T
Shabby Doll (AWESOME)
w/ Here I Am (Come and Take Me) AL GREEN
Turned to me
beyond
Love in Mind> NEIL YOUNG
Town Cryer
And No Coffee Table

Elvis Costello Makes Carnegie Hall Debut On Eve of 60th Birthday

by Roger Friedman - June 25, 2014 12:27 am

It’s hard to believe, but rocker-troubadour composer Elvis Costello turns 60 in August. He was once the Angry Young Man of punk rock, making his debut in 1977 with “Alison” and “Watching the Detectives.” He had on air scuffle with “Saturday Night Live,” an unfortunate incident in which he slagged off Ray Charles, and was just a trouble maker. We loved him, and he made wonderful, inventive records.

So 37 years seem to have passed very quickly. And here is Elvis (real name Declan McManus) at Carnegie Hall for the first of two shows. In those years he revealed himself as a passionate musical anthropologist and archivist, whose tastes ran from R&B to country to opera to classical music. He turned what had been a limited voice into a defining instrument that has lasted and grown richer.

The Carnegie Hall gig was solo, no group– no Attractions or Imposters or keyboardist Steve Nieve. It was Costello Unplugged, just accompanying himself on guitar or his own keyboard, for two hours and forty minutes. It was kind of mesmerizing and brilliant. Could the show have been shorter? Sure. But why would you want it to be? Costello is so engaging on stage that between the numerous songs there’s lots of interesting patter, info, and the news that his life now is “awesome.”

Costello weaves his own songs in and out of mini tributes to other musicians. He saluted Teenie Hodges, who just passed away, with a snippet of Al Green’s “Here I Am (Come and Take Me).” The Beatles are given a nod with “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away” during Elvis’s own classic “New Amsterdam.” Bob Dylan is cited with a bit of “Time Out of Mind” before Costello delivers a somber version of his almost never heard “Town Cryer.”

He mixes in hits, even though you know he’d rather not. Last night we got “Everyday I Write the Book,” introduced as a song he “hates” but it was “a minor hit.” It’s a great record and a clever song. “Alison,” “Detectives,” “Veronica” were all there. Three songs came from Costello’s best album, “Imperial Bedroom”– “Cryer,” “Beyond Belief,” “Man out of Time.” He also resurrects his song, less well known songs. (See “Come the Meantimes,” a gem.)

There was a surprise addition, not on the set list I swiped later: “Less than Zero,” a song that was misunderstood in the US in 1977 because people thought it was about Lee Harvey Oswald. It was about British Fascist party leader Oswald Moseley. It caused Costello to be banned from “Saturday Night Live” (long story) for 22 years. Playing it was a nice bit of closure, as the audience sang along, unaware of the trouble it caused.

The show closed with Nick Lowe’s “What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding.” Costello was just on guitar, and you could close your eyes and imagine the pounding drums that usually punctuate this anthem. It was almost 3 hours since he’d begun, and Costello looked like he was just warming up.

I’ve been in this cult since 1977, so I’m sold. It’s been absolutely fascinating watching the evolution of an artist. And he is one of the last (including Sting and a few others) whose musical roots go back through jazz, vaudeville, show tunes, to forge complex new ideas. Let’s enjoy these guys while we can.
docinwestchester

There is a missing segment at 0:26 that I will patch with audio when I have some time. The Here I Am (Come And Take Me) snippet starts at 0:58.

The Love In Mind snippet starts at 0:16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qit2gkRpo6E
For More Tears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Humx7z669bk
You Turned To Me/Beyond Belief
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thankyou for posting links to these EC 1st-timers/rarities.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

It seems Carnegie Hall is not quite use to this kind of show... usher in my section had her hands full running around telling people to please stop dancing and sit down! :roll:

Great show, though I too expected more of a departure from the usual setlists. Loved hearing For More Tears and Man Out of Time.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

To those people who expected a departure from the "usual" setlists, I reckon you'll see that tonight.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:To those people who expected a departure from the "usual" setlists, I reckon you'll see that tonight.

i especially want the FIRST take on LYOMY. i didn't dig the 'acoustic' take. sad to report: inexplicable oddball SONY malfunction leaves me w/o NEW AMSTERDAM/HIDE LOVE AWAY. strange indeed as weirdly NOT there! :shock: i only got through first side of cassette one, so i hope that is the only problem. :cry:
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Re the crazy girl that requested and got "I Want You", oh wait, that was my gf. :P
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

good work Lisa...i LIKED that I WANT YOU a lot (and i seem to find each & every one played live markedly different!) A+
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

I agree with the many excellent points made here--excellent show, though I expected more of a departure...

Town crier, 2 selections from North, and an extended seated portion, and great throwbacks to Neil Young and Al Green all wonderful.

If anyone needs, I have an extra for tonight, parquet, Row E...(you can pm me).

Looking forward to a varied setlist from song #1, tonite

Enjoy
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

Great show....Town Cryer, Shabby Doll, Veronica, Man Out of Time were my highlights.

It'll be interesting to see how he mixes it up tonight. Can't wait!
docinwestchester

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/arts/ ... .html?_r=0

Elvis Costello Treats Carnegie Hall to a Solo Show
By JON PARELES JUNE 25, 2014

If Elvis Costello had dived any deeper into his catalog for his solo concert on Tuesday, opening a two-night stand at Carnegie Hall, he would have needed scuba gear. It wasn’t the kind of solo show by an established rocker that treats a bunch of old favorites as guitar-strumming singalongs for longtime fans. The hall was often silent as Mr. Costello offered something else: a continuing, challenging, intimate engagement with his songs, old and new.

At Carnegie Hall, the ovations that tend to greet familiar opening chords were scarce and muted. Mr. Costello played plenty of songs that were originally tucked within his 21st-century albums, unapologetically stacking them up alongside material from his 1970s and 1980s radio heyday. When he got around to his more widely circulated songs, he reworked them ruthlessly: stripping away pop enticements like intros and instrumental hooks, magnifying dynamic ups and downs, illuminating each lyric anew.

At one point, Mr. Costello announced, “I’m going to play you a song now that I really hate. I wrote it in 10 minutes and then it was a hit.” It was “Everyday I Write the Book,” and it was a world away from the perky 1983 single. Solo, set just to folky fingerpicking, its forlorn yearning was unmistakable. “Shabby Doll,” a tale of back-and-forth humiliation, lost its old rock sneer for gnarled chords and hints of jazz syncopation, turning it into something more complex and compassionate.

Although Mr. Costello was playing alone, each song was precisely arranged. He used six guitars — including acoustic and electric, hollow-body and solid-body — and occasionally switched to electric piano. Attuned to the moment rather than to the permanence of recording, he shifted toward extremes: turning the verses of “Man Out of Time” into acoustic meditations and the choruses into desperate plaints, or pushing the peaks of “I Want You” toward all-out distortion and dissonance.

Early on, Mr. Costello promised a night of songs about “love and deceit” and “tragedy and exile.” All of them, particularly the first three, are well represented among his logophile lyrics, whether he’s straightforwardly depicting a situation, as in “Either Side of the Same Town,” or conjuring a character with a skein of images, as in “Church Underground.” But he also offered fond, though unsparingly observed, glimpses of his family history in songs about his grandparents — “Veronica,” “Last Boat Leaving” and “Jimmie Standing in the Rain” — and a reminiscence about playing guitar with his father.

The encores included two mournful, bitter songs about the toll of war and violence: “Shipbuilding” and “For More Tears,” both accompanied by sparse, hymnlike keyboard chords. Mr. Costello also had a sardonic tune with God as its cynical narrator, “Come the Meantimes,” from “Wise Up Ghost,” his 2013 collaboration with the Roots. The solo version traded the funk of the album track for agitated, quick-strummed guitar, and Mr. Costello got the audience shouting along — not to his past, but to his present.

The concert spanned Mr. Costello’s career, from the first of his songs he said he heard on the radio — “Poison Moon,” recorded as a demo before his 1977 debut album, “My Aim Is True” — to a brand-new one, “The Last Year of My Youth,” about breaking free from worries about age. (Mr. Costello turns 60 in August.) He introduced that song on June 4 on “Late Night with David Letterman” and reintroduced it, with a completely rewritten melody, on Tuesday night. Like the rest of his catalog at Carnegie Hall, it thrived on being a work in progress.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I feel that I should defend "The Last Year of My Youth" from last night.

I thought it was a little "catchier" musically than the Letterman version. Plus I can't be sure, but. i think he tightened up the lyrics a little.

I definitely had a stronger opinion of the song last night. I apparently wasn't alone since many others stood up in applause.