Elvis solo, Manchester (England), July 14, 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
Bradwellboy

Re: Elvis solo, Manchester (England), July 14, 2014

Post by Bradwellboy »

On way up to the Pool tomorrow morning and off to see Neil Young tomorrow night as a warm up for the great man.

TB will try and make the pub prior to the gig

Paul & Mike G24 & G 25
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Mortified I can't be there , have a great gig chaps and chappesses and make sure you face West Colin TB !
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://twitter.com/DaveDogFacedBoy/stat ... 9055318016
Fucking Storming Elvis Costello gig in Manchester. 2 1/2 hours.Dr Luthers Assistant! Town Cryer!
"Dr. Luther's Assistant" was last played in 1977.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

And No Coffee Table wrote:http://twitter.com/DaveDogFacedBoy/stat ... 9055318016
Fucking Storming Elvis Costello gig in Manchester. 2 1/2 hours.Dr Luthers Assistant! Town Cryer!
Took that long for us all to lower our resistence.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:Mortified I can't be there , have a great gig chaps and chappesses and make sure you face West Colin TB !

said SULKY in the SWANSEA thread:

I've always had a thing about Dr Luther but that's partly because of the way he slurs his vocals. A slow version of Clowntime Is Over would be epic for me or Anything VG hasn't heard :lol: . Only joking !

And No Coffee Table wrote:http://twitter.com/DaveDogFacedBoy/stat ... 9055318016

oh no...POOR SULKY!!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :(
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm Sulking in bed now - makes me wish I still lived in Birmingham :shock:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

So- as he now plays Dr Luther, after my comment, who now thinks he doesn't know what's going on here on this forum! And why did he wait until I wasn't in attendance to perform it. After 100 + times of seeing him in concert , I think he should come to my house and play Dr Luther , Riot Act and All The Rage for me and VG only
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

He's on his way round. :lol:

I've also asked for Neat Neat Neat!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

okay guys...here's my three, from the olden days: CRAWLING TO THE U.S.A., LOVE FOR TENDER and PARTY PARTY!!!
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

BA, please tell me you're being sarcastic....
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Got this late last night -

Hiya John
I would have put this direct onto the Elvis fans site but Ive locked myself out!!
Stunning Elvis show tonight, he did indeed play Dr Luthers Assistant plus for first time on this tour Mouth Almighty and Opportunity.
I reckon he played roughly 37 songs in 2 and a half hours.
He also mentioned he had written 30 songs with Burt Bacharach since November.
Blown away by tonights performance, roll on Wednesday at Kew gardens!!
Cheers
Colin
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Bradwellboy

Post by Bradwellboy »

Hey that was no heckler , that was me.

Birmingham, Cork and now Manchester EC has done My Three Sons after I give him a shout.

What a night the man was in super form , smiling chatty stories jokes awesome.

Me and my mate mike met Colin (Top Balcony) last seen with a few others in the Slug and Lettuce in the Pool and Andrew from Barnsley last seen at Sheffield City Hall , we had a pint and a chat prior in the pub.

So as EC changes guitars and sits I give him a call (I never HECKLE) and he says what was that (just like Birmingham 2009?) and I say 3 sons Declan. Yeah that's a good one just do a couple of songs and then that. I thought all hope was lost when he got up changed guitar and came to the mike. WHoppeeeee he says what was that song.... my cue....a the end as the applause dies down at the top of my voice I call Thank You twice and he acknowledges by nodding twice.

Highlight of the night was Ghost Town which was preceded by EC telling us a tale of when he was a youngster and used to go around the clubs with his dad carrying his trumpet for him. One night in Blackpool his Dad said he could do a song on guitar with the band and it was obvious the old lags in the band didn't like the idea of a young whippersnapper joining then so when EC asked the organ player to give him a note to tune his guitar to he duly obliged knowing the organ would be out of tune until it warmed up. So come the live song EC's guitar was hopelessly out of tune so he did what any young aspiring guitarist would do in such circumstances he turned his volume control down to zero and mimed and looked as though he was playing Like Hendrix with a few confident winks to the audience. A great tale. He attempted to tell the Americans that tale but then wondered how he could explain Blackpool to an American. It was like Las Vegas without the sunshine, or the gambling back in those days. Come to think of it how do you explain Blackpool to anyone who isn't from the North he said.

Roll on Kew and Bexhill.

And the wife may have to nail me down in October to stop me flying back from Bombay for the RAH!!!!!!!!

Thank You EC
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Do you think the lady in the Manchester Evening News meant "bespectacled man?" rather than "bespeckled? " Isn't that a word to describe a hen?

Great show in Manchester. After the first encore, and Olive's Army, my wife reached for her coat and bag. She has a lot to learn! An hour later he was still on stage!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Arbogast wrote:BA, please tell me you're being sarcastic....
in what regard...naming three songs i LOVE and would dig seeing LIVE???? NOPE, not a drop of sarcasm.
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

DR LUTHER’S ASSISTANT !!!!!
Also played – incomplete and in no particular order (sorry)
Poison Moon
Last Year of my Youth
Opportunity
Jack of all Parades
Watching the Detectives
Ghost Train
Radio Soul
Jimmy Standing in the Rain / Buddy
Ascension Day
Everyday I write the Book
Walking My Baby Back Home
Untitled (new song with Burt B)
For More Tears
B Movie
Veronica
Come the Meantimes
Redshoes (request)
Oliver’s Army
My Three Sons (request – see above take a bow BWB)
New Amsterdam / Hide your love
Shipbuilding
Town Crier
Mouth Almighty
Alison
PLU

Great to meet up with Colin, Misha, Paul, Mike and Andrew ahead of the show. Very kind of Mike to allow me to volunteer him to drive me back to Scouseland, luckily his generosity wasn’t required.

‘Fraid I’ve no critical faculty when EC takes the stage, I always think he’s fantastic. And last night was no exception. It was ace that he played Bradwell’s request – My Three Sons is a real favourite of mine. Huge thrill to hear the rarities: Poison Moon, Radio Soul, B Movie (first outing since 1981?) Mouth Almighty, Ghost Train and of course DLA. But thought the standout performance for me was Shipbuilding. During the applause I found myself wondering whether this is in fact his finest song.

Brilliant and unforgettable.

Colin Top Balcony
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Well thanks, everybody !!!
I may well leave home with a knotted handkerchief on a stick containing just clean pants and a Marantz flash recorder and my best dog at my side for the rest of my life ! :cry:
funkygibbon666

Post by funkygibbon666 »

Well worth the 3 hour drive up the M40/M42/M6 Toll/M56!

After seeing the rather truncated and unimaginative Swansea setlist I hoped we wouldn't be short changed. I needn't have worried. 2 1\2 hours just flew by with the encores being longer than the main set. Dr Luther's Assistant had me grinning like a nutter. Even old chestnuts like Veronica and Olivers Army sounded fresh. He seemed genuinely thrilled by the response to the new, rare and old and responded with a great set. "I almost forgot that one" he murmured after 'Opportunity" and was a real kick to hear Poison Moon & Radio Soul - some yelled for 'Radio Radio' earlier - "I haven't got the hologram of the band tonight"

Never been to Bridgewater Hall before, felt a bit clinical but what great sound and welk behaved enthusiastic audience

For only the second time I did the stage door thing and got EC to sign a US vinyl of This Years Model for my pal's birthday. She will be flipping delighted.

Cursory listen to recording of the night reveals a good capture, DIME etc later this week, am off to see The Pythons tonight!
Top balcony

Post by Top balcony »

funkygibbon666 wrote: DIME etc later this week,
You've just made an old man very happy!

Colin Top Balcony
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

funkygibbon666 wrote:

Cursory listen to recording of the night reveals a good capture, DIME etc later this week, am off to see The Pythons tonight!
Oh, thank God! Reading this setlist and thinking there was no recording was killing me!

Thanks, Funky!

Dave
krm

Post by krm »

Top balcony wrote:

Colin Top Balcony
that makes two happy old men :-)
funkygibbon666

Post by funkygibbon666 »

Top balcony wrote:

Colin Top Balcony
Ah Colin, didn't see your post but I was v close by (Row B -15)
Butts

Post by Butts »

Incredible show, add Five Minutes, Suit Of Lights and Less Than Zero to the above setlist.