Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis solo, Belfast (Northern Ireland), Oct 17, 2014

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostello.com/homepage#/dance-card

Oct 17, 2014
Waterfront Hall
Belfast, Northern Ireland

Tickets on sale 02/04/14: http://www.waterfront.co.uk/whatson/per ... x?id=42759
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis solo, Belfast (Northern Ireland), Oct 17, 2014

Post by bronxapostle »

WOW! this solo tour is up to 22 dates now, trumping November 2103 by three at least curently. can you say 250 different songs played? :wink: your statistician ba will be on the case come late September! i'll get to practice in June with the ten show tour (though i hope he adds one or two that i can drive to a bit closer to me!) King & brother Foyle, VG, sulky and all my friends abroad...be sure to enjoy ALL you can! and find me ticket stubs please! :lol: :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A Friday evening in Belfast - that'll do nicely!
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Excellent news. Actually prefer solo shows to band shows. I'll be there as I have for all his Belfast shows since 1978
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

One seat in row 7 of block A booked.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis in the booklet to go with the festival on in Belfast while he's in town -

I've been offered a front row seat so now have a spare one for row 7 of block A . I may drag a friend along but if anyone here wants it just say so.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A friend has asked me to use a spare front row ticket so I now have one seat in row 7 of block A to spare - anyone interested ?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

KING! i'm interested in an IRISH ticket STUB!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: enjoy the show
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'll watch out for one BA!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Stunning show. 31 songs , immaculate sound, nuanced sequencing , good company in the audience - just when I think Elvis can't surprise me anymore he goes and does it. A highlight was Shot With His Own Gun - wildly inventive piano work. More when I get back to Dublin...and stop circling the moon!
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Good show. I'm sure John will post the set list, the core of which was similar to others on the tour, bit some from memory:

Jack of all parades to open
I want you to close
Cheap reward
Wave a white flag
Watch your step
Ascension day
Church underground
My dark life after WTD
Watch your step
A sequence of Olivers army, Sleep of the just, Kinder Murder (the latter two seemingly connected, as both feature the "family pride" lyric debated here a while back)
I'm in the mood
Accidents will happen
Alison
Last year of my youth
Lost in the river
Matthew and Mary
Comedians
She
Walking my baby home
Green shirt
Shipbuilding
PLU
Shot with his own gun
Jimmy standing...
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Also...

Everybody's crying mercy
Ghost train
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

John Foyle posted to Facebook:

Start 8.10
1. Jack Of All Parades
2. 45
3. Green Shirt
4. Cheap Reward
5. Watch Your Step
6. Ascension Day
7. Accidents Will Happen
8. Church Underground
9. The Comedians
10. Walking My Baby Back Home
11. Ghost Train
12. Wave A White Flag
13. She
14. Married To My Hack
15. Watching The Detectives
16. My Dark Life
17. Shipbuilding
18. Everybody's Crying Mercy
19. Alison
20. In The Mood Again
21. Shot With His Own Gun
22. Matthew Met Mary
23. Oliver's Army
24. Sleep Of The Just
25. Kinder Murder
26. (What's So Funny 'bout) Peace , Love And Understanding
27. Jimmy Standing In The Rain
28. Lost On The River
29. Last Year Of My Youth
30. Pump It Up
31. I Want You
Finish 10.32

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Just home & still buzzzing !

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I managed to tape this before a nearby security man finished checking his 'phone & hovered over us for the rest of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unjog8U ... e=youtu.be

Church Underground
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/enter ... 73324.html

Review: Solo Elvis Costello shows that his aim is still true

Despite having one of the world's niftier rock 'n' roll combos in the Imposters, Elvis Costello likes to do a turn on his own now and then.

Belfast has always been one of the more welcoming venues for his solo jaunts, being partial to a good old knees-up and an act not afraid to swap bon mots with the wags in the crowd.

Here Costello can both wallow in his great entertainer persona, while allowing the songs, as Eric Cantona might have put it "to live and to breathe".

And what tunes they are. It takes a confident songwriter to open with a couple of relatively obscure album tracks and hook an audience immediately, but for the knowledgeable fan it was a treat to hear Jack Of All Parades or a punked up version of Green Shirt.

The voice was a little rough at times but he has developed a guitar style that, with the help of a range of effects pedals, he can wrench some extraordinary sounds, most dramatically on Watching The Detectives.

But it wasn't all film noir intensity. Costello dispensed family-based anecdotes with practised ease, his late trumpet-playing father never far from his mind.

From him he received a musical education which has made him a master of the 20th century pop idiom.

A stunning Shipbuilding had a 'here we go again' wistfulness, and there was new material on offer, including a song which he claimed to have finished "in the taxi on the way from the airport".

It was great too.

(Four stars)

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Having reflected on this show over the weekend, I want to share some broad observations.

Overall it was a good show for many reasons - its a great venue and was nearly filled (unlike previous appearances), some 1,600 tickets sold I was told afterwards. EC seemed very relaxed and in good humour and seemed happy to play for longer than perhaps he'd planned to do. The song selection was interesting - stuck to the basic core of other shows on this tour to date but the additions and rarities were welcome.

For me the first 8 or 9 were excellent, Jack of all Parades a great unexpected opener, Cheap Reward much stronger than the original demo and clearer echoes of the melody from the countrified Stranger in the House, Watch your Step in an outstanding version, and The Comedians in the Orbison version both great.

The seated section was a little under-whelming for me, and I really didn't like the electrified My Dark Life which seemed to last forever. The keyboard section was good and Shot with his own gun went down well. My personal highlight was the Oliver's Army/Sleep of the Just/Kinder Murder sequence as EC indicated the latter were related (or "part two") to the previous - presumably the military character in each. The first two have a Northern Ireland connection, but I'd never made that with the third. And, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, the "family pride" phrase appears in the latter two, which cemented the connection.

Alison off-mic was superb, sung and played beautifully and with great conviction for such an oft performed song, but the moment was spoilt a little for by EC exhorting the crowd to sing along.

The Dylan songs were a bit so-so, as was Last year of my youth which sounded like a work in progress, and then a crowd-pleasing romp to the close.

On a more negative note - whilst the sound system was excellent the balance between voice and guitar wasn't always good (guitar way too loud). EC is afflicted I believe by those damnable in-ear monitor thingies - they seem to distract him and contribute to some wayward pitch and intonation in his vocal (when he dispensed with them for Alison he was right bang in tune again). He was also a little slow sometimes when concentrating on a guitar figure to remember he had a vocal to sing, dashing for the mic at the last section and hence strangling the opening words. All these little blips took something away from the overall show - and show it is, the anecdotes seem well-rehearsed.

Overall, a good show. I much prefer him solo these days.
funkygibbon666

Post by funkygibbon666 »

My capture of the show up at the 12 to a Dime place - share and enjoy

Myself and a car full of other gig attending herberts discussed the Irish shows amongst many other things on our way back from Belfast. You can listen to it here - http://theafterword.co.uk/content/podca ... ip-carcast
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

funkygibbon666 wrote:My capture of the show up at the 12 to a Dime place - share and enjoy

Myself and a car full of other gig attending herberts discussed the Irish shows amongst many other things on our way back from Belfast. You can listen to it here - http://theafterword.co.uk/content/podca ... ip-carcast
Thanks for the recording. I enjoyed the carcast as well!