T-Bone / Dylan project: Lost On The River

Pretty self-explanatory
hatman

Re: T-Bone / Dylan project: Lost On The River

Post by hatman »

docinwestchester wrote:
hatman wrote: Side note: I could teach these guys a thing or two about hats. :)
But can you write and record a song in an airplane bathroom?

Yes with my hat on! :)

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5616/153 ... 2600b7.jpg
Last edited by hatman on Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yes, that airplane story was a bit bizarre.

Similarly , the recreation of Bob's motorcycle ride through the back roads of Woodstock in 1967 kept making me think of the opening of Lawrence Of Arabia.!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:Yes, that airplane story was a bit bizarre.
Elvis is a bit of a show-off when it comes to songwriting. But his skills are remarkable. Writing the vocals to "Puppet" on his iPad the night before recording, writing "The Last Year Of My Youth" on a day's notice, etc. Steve Mandel and Quest were blown away by EC:

The way his musical faucet works is unlike any human being I’ve seen. A song like “The Puppet Has Cut His Strings,” about his father who passed away, we worked on the music to that and “Sugar Won’t Work” the last day that we recorded. And I was kinda concerned, because there was no lyrics, no vocals, and Elvis was going to take the record to Don Was the next day. I thought, He’s not going to finish these new songs in time. And I came back to work at eleven-thirty in the morning, and Steve Mandel, our engineer said: “Dude, you are not gonna fucking believe it. He knocked out the songs in, like, three hours. He just sat there listening to the songs and these lyrics came pouring out.”

http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/questlov ... tello.html
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I haven't seen the doc yet, but look forward to seeing it. Giddens is a talent, no doubt, but there seems to be a bit of a know-it-all component there. I'd say turn it down a notch, but that's just me. That kind of stuff gets on my nerves. Of course, dealing with three young dudes must have been tough. They probably were acting like bratty adolescents. A nightmare for any woman in that situation where the men % heavily outweighs the girl %. I work in IT, so I know how it feels.

Hatman rules!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

'Attractions frontman...' - still, a full page, lead in, reasoned review in the new Hot Press ( Dublin)
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i must weigh in one time now that my LP arrived yesterday. FANTASTIC! i thought i might enjoy it a bit, but i NEVER thought THIS much! from the first song, it is obvious that with T Bone's leadership, this group KNEW what to do. nearly every song is an out and out GEM and the playing always superb and sublime production! without feeling like mimicry or failed attempts, the sound jumping off the wax does indeed hearken back to the magic created by Bob and The Band all those years ago. and so very impressed that i am well pleased with EC playing the role of a bandmate here on this project. to have our friend singing back-up, splendidly of course, and strumming away upon guitar is what we know he does solidly always. but to have him at the bass, the organ, the mellotron and his other instruments played here is quite the blast. to say i await Volume 2 much more intently as well as seeing this band LIVE in person is now greatly an understatement. dare i say it: LOST ON THE RIVER: LP OF THE YEAR! :wink: :wink:
jardine

Post by jardine »

short reply ba: ditto
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Agree. My concern when I first heard about the album is that I'd quickly grow tired of the non-EC songs, but it turns out I love the whole thing.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

jardine wrote:short reply ba: ditto
And No Coffee Table wrote:Agree. My concern when I first heard about the album is that I'd quickly grow tired of the non-EC songs, but it turns out I love the whole thing.
awesome to be in such good company about the validity of this project. stunning how i think we ALL were fearful of our hero being a player with, i can somehow surmise, artists which many of us were NOT previously enamored. nonetheless, the style with which he does all his work has made this yet again another feather in his cap. imagine, us all embracing EC as "just another player in a BAND" after all these years? 8)
jardine

Post by jardine »

love, too, how much e.c. himself seems to be enjoying the whole thing--that great thing w. ec's hidee ho joking that it has to be only one minute and 40 seconds, and then let's go and away they go. t-bone's barely audible comments in that brief vid are just lovely and relaxed
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

"Nothing to It" is currently my favorite track. It initially sounds like a pop tune, then gets a bit psychedelic. Jim James!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm really enjoying this album EXCEPT for Rhianna Giddens "Hidee Hidee Ho #16" .

It reminds me of Minnie the Moocher which is another song I immensely dislike.

And ba - album of the year is Kin by Larkin Poe.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
docinwestchester

What are your takes on the Showtime movie? For me, seeing what went on behind the scenes only added to my appreciation of the album.
jardine

Post by jardine »

don't get showtime, but I really like all of the showtime clips of individual songs I saw, and the glimpse of t-bone in ec.'s hidee vid. Although they are varying quality, i like the animated vids for various songs that were done as well. I"m hoping that the showtime program and the animated videos will be coupled with that live vid being shot at that performance (duh, sorry, can't remember where it was held) and sold at locale supermarkets before Xmas, please (with suitable bonus outtakes from all quarters as well, thanks very much). all these added for me as well--a really good atmosphere overall.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Have we all seen this clip? I'm usually a bit late with these things!

Great performance - Six Months In Kansas City:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/N_qS7LkgHjs
docinwestchester

Neil. wrote:Have we all seen this clip? I'm usually a bit late with these things!

Great performance - Six Months In Kansas City:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/N_qS7LkgHjs
We have, but it's so damn good it's worth repeating. In the Showtime movie, the "boys" - Marcus, Jim, Taylor - make a little fun of Elvis because his songs have so many chords:

jardine

Post by jardine »

blureu

Post by blureu »

Upcoming appearance on CBS Saturday Morning 12/13.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (219.19 KiB) Viewed 34694 times
blureu

Post by blureu »

Further info on the World Cafe performance on 12/3. Hopefully someone can record off the radio like in the old days.

The New Basement Tapes is a project, produced by T Bone Burnett, that combines Bob Dylan 1967 Basement Tapes era lyrics with new music. The composers, including Elvis Costello, Jim James, Rhiannon Giddens, Taylor Goldsmith and Marcus Mumford, are all here to perform their compositions. Be sure to catch the broadcast! This session will not be available for online streaming.
And No Coffee Table

http://www.mixonline.com/news/profiles/ ... pes/423105

The New Basement Tapes
Ensemble Settles in to Record ‘Lost on the River’

12/01/2014 7:15 PM Eastern
Author: Barbara Schultz

T Bone Burnett’s talents as a music producer are many, but Rhiannon Giddens of Carolina Chocolate Drops sums things up in a way when she says, “He has such good instincts.”

When Burnett received a sort of gift from Bob Dylan—a packet of lyrics and fragments, handwritten during the Basement Tapes era (around 1967)—the producer knew instinctively how to turn those long-neglected words into songs. He brought together an ensemble of singer/songwriters with strong, albeit different, connections to American folk music, and invited them to flesh out the words and set them to music. The album they made, Lost on the River, is a collection that equally honors Dylan’s writing, and the individual talents of the interpreters.

Answering Burnett’s call, five artists locked out Capitol Studios: Elvis Costello, My Morning Jacket frontman Jim James, Mumford & Sons’ Marcus Mumford, Taylor Goldsmith of L.A. band Dawes, and Giddens, whose attachment to Dylan’s music is indirect, but deep.

“In the Chocolate Drops, I was always more focused on the source recordings [behind Dylan’s writing]—the old stuff. I deliberately didn’t do a lot of research on the Basement Tapes before the sessions. I wanted to offer a blank slate as one perspective among the five.”

Burnett and his engineer, Michael Piersante, saw the importance of making the group as comfortable as possible in the studio. They redecorated Capitol B, where much of the writing happened, with rented sofas and armchairs, homey lighting, and an upright Steinway from Piersante’s house.

Giddens says the artists came into the studio with “… a couple of different approaches. Elvis and Jim and Taylor came with songs fleshed out, and Marcus and I came more with ideas. It was a beautiful thing, and I can’t stress enough that both approaches were really valuable and important in songwriting. There were a lot of different ways to start writing a song.”

Recording the songs required an equal degree of flexibility. While the setup in Capitol was generally arranged so that writing would happen in the B room, and tracking would go down in Studio A, sometimes a song just wanted to be captured from a comfy chair.

“I put a couple of mics up—like an old Neumann CMV 563 lollipop mic over the couch—to capture the whole writing area, and then spot mics around—five mics total,” Piersante says. “There were several songs where the artists would say, ‘We’re rehearsing this tune, and we’re really comfortable here and it sounds good to us, so let’s just record it.’ So, we’d just record people sitting there in a circle. We also had the B control room available to us, so we’d patch through there. And we tied the two studios together, so they could share each other’s recordings.”

In Studio A, Piersante rigged a more conventional, old-school setup, with stations for different instruments and a dedicated vocal chain for each singer, all captured to one Studer A827 tape machine.

“I use a lot of vintage stuff, and we did bring in a whole stack of vintage Neve preamps,” Piersante says. “Everybody went through those. We added character where we could, because with all of those singers on the floor, singing in front of two drummers, a piano and a bass amp, we couldn’t use anything like a condenser mic—it would capture too much bleed. So, we ended up using a lot of [Shure] SM57s and 58s for vocals. I also had LA2s, a Fairchild, a Distressor; we used things like that on the singers, and then straight to tape.

“Also keep in mind, I had to set up fairly simply because we were limited to 24 tracks. So we put the two drum kits toward the back of the room, angled toward each other. We had Jay Bellerose’s kit and another kit that might be played by Marcus or by Taylor’s brother Griffin or Carla Azar—a roving cast of musicians. That second one was a Leedy kit with calfskin heads—a really cool, vibey set; Al Schmitt actually leant me his [AKG] D12, to use on kick, which was really cool of him to let me try.”

Otherwise, the auxiliary kit was miked with a 57 on snare, 67 on floor tom, and a Coles 4038 overhead. Bellerose’s kit had a vintage Beyer M380 on kick, a Beyer 160 tom mic (“little ribbon mics that take a lot of heat,” Piersante says), a Shure 57 on the snare and a Neumann CMV 563 overhead.

“I also had a drums mic between the two kits,” Piersante says. “That turned into a room mic for everyone who was singing, and that added some interesting character. Actually, in this kind of a situation, everybody’s mic was a room mic for the other guys, so we didn’t have any shortage of the awesome Capitol room sound.”

Giddens played her fiddle in a booth, but most everything else was on the floor of the main room, and there was a lot of maneuvering, as the musicians would change from guitar to piano or Mellotron, or from keyboards to drums or bass, for example. Piersante’s instrument-miking remained fixed (usually a combination of ribbons—RCAs on guitars and Wes Dooley models on pianos—with the Shure dynamics), but vocal mics would follow the singers.

“If it was Elvis’s song, he would sing lead and the others would sing background,” Piersante explains. “The next song, Elvis might go over and play piano instead of guitar on Taylor’s song, and every time we did a new song, we had to run out and follow the person with their mic to keep their vocal chain intact. They were constantly moving around from instrument to instrument.

“It was like a fun live rehearsal room kind of recording session,” he continues. “But you had to find a way to avoid worrying about the fact that these are all amazing artists working on Bob Dylan songs, and you’re trying to get a lot of songs recorded as well as possible in a very short period of time. If you could put all that aside, it was fun just trying to keep up.”
And No Coffee Table

http://989wclz.com/2014/12/02/the-new-basement-tapes/
This Friday on your way home from work, CLZ afternoon host Randi Kirshbaum will be talking with Jay Bellerose, the drummer for “The New Basement Tapes”

Jay is an L.A. studio musician originally from Old Orchard Beach, and T. Bone Burnett tapped him to play drums on the “New Basement Tapes” sessions.

Randi will talk to Jay about what it was like to collaborate with Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford, Jim James (My Morning Jacket), Taylor Goldsmith (Dawes), and Rhiannon Giddens, to create songs out of Bob Dylan lyrics that have been lost for 47 years.

Listen to 98-9 WCLZ this Friday at about 5:15pm. Listen Live: http://player.liquidcompass.net/WCLZFM
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Jay Bellerose is as fine a drummer as any alive.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

On special in HMV, Newcastle , when I was there yesterday, way cheaper than what I paid in London a few weeks ago. Promotion or clear out?
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

I too surprisingly really like my Deluxe CD of LOTR ...

Can someone please share EC doing 'Diamond Ring' from 'lost songs the basement tapes continued' video not yet seen in UK???

Thanks.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
wardo68

Post by wardo68 »

I didn't expect to like this album. Read my review and find out if I did!

http://everybodysdummy.blogspot.com/201 ... river.html