T-Bone / Dylan project: Lost On The River

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: T-Bone / Dylan project: Lost On The River

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Rhiannon Giddens posted this to f/book earlier this year -

27 March

Who knew Elvis Costello's voice and mine would blend so well? Had a blast on the New Basement Tapes project! Sad to leave but it's time to rejoin the family and the Chocolate Drops in Burlington Vermont. Fly out tomorrow!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://pmc-speakers.com/news/bob-dylans ... t-pmc-bb5s

Bob Dylan's Lyrics Brought Alive By Elvis Costello & T-Bone Burnett With PMC BB5s

Thursday, July 17, 2014

PMC loudspeakers played a key role in the recording of Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes, from the tracking sessions through to the album's first media playback at Metropolis Studios, London, in mid-July.

Lost On The River is a collaboration between several internationally respected musicians, who have written music to create new songs to accompany recently discovered, unfinished lyrics crafted by Bob Dylan during his productive 1967 sessions in Woodstock, New York with the future members of The Band: the recordings that became known as 'The Basement Tapes'. Contributors to the new album include Elvis Costello, Marcus Mumford, folk/country musicians Rhiannon Giddens and Taylor Goldsmith, and My Morning Jacket's Jim James. The album was coordinated and produced by multiple Grammy-winning artist, film music consultant and long-time user of PMC speakers T Bone Burnett, known for his work on the hit soundtracks to Until The End Of The World, Oh Brother Where Art Thou?, Walk The Line, and Inside Llewyn Davis, as well as his songwriting contributions to the soundtracks of The Hunger Games and Crazy Heart.

The first playback of the finished album to the international press and media took place in mid-July in the live room at London's Metropolis Studios, along with a question and answer session with T Bone Burnett and Elvis Costello. As befits the important role they played as the audio reference during the album's recording, PMC loudspeakers, in this case the company's flagship BB5 XBD Actives, were used to play the songs for the assembled journalists.

Lost On The River: The New Basement Tapes and an associated documentary film directed by Sam Jones, Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes Continued, are currently set for a late Autumn release.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Some photos from the Mumford fansite: http://mumsonfans.com/showtime-air-lost ... -november/ ,taken from the Showtime website: http://showtimeallaccess.tumblr.com/pos ... vating-new

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://auspop.blogspot.com/2014/08/new- ... le_14.html

This site says the album will be out November 14 in Australia.
hatman

Post by hatman »

Side note: EC wears much nicer hats off stage. For example the wider brim light color fur felt above which has a more vintage like form.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Hat commentary. Hat reviews. hatman rules!
hatman

Post by hatman »

Thanks! Also just noticed the hat he is wearing with TBone (see photo above). That one is even better. Notice very little taper from the front. This one has a more 30s look to it. Looks to be of high quality too(might be by Optimo Hats of Chicago).

http://optimo.com/

Sorry for the thread drift.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

1. Down On The Bottom
2. Married To My Hack
3. Kansas City
4. Spanish Mary
5. Liberty Street
6. Nothing To It
7. Golden Tom – Silver Judas
8. When I Get My Hands On You
9. Duncan and Jimmy
10. Florida Key
11. Hidee Hidee Ho #11
12. Lost On The River #12
13. Stranger
14. Card Shark
15. Quick Like A Flash
16. Hidee Hidee Ho #16
17. Diamond Ring
18. The Whistle Is Blowing
19. Six Months In Kansas City (Liberty Street)
20. Lost On The River #20
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20140819

This link will let you sample a track.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Blog piece on the project from today's NY Times along with a teaser to one of the songs "Nothing to It' as posted on Vevo yesterday:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... kGUkgyoNdA
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'll be waiting for the bog standard single disc version of this. A friend who's heard some of Elvis's tracks says it's up there with Elvis's best. The presence , however, of artists I haven't felt the need to explore further makes me un-inclined to seek the whole thing any quicker than I need too. If I'm offered a promo copy like I was the Roots one I won't say no .

What with packages costing as much as c. $250 maybe Elvis will suggest we spend our money on the forthcoming 16 cd Chuck Berry box set from Bear Family!
cwr

Post by cwr »

Man, I'd really be inclined to buy a Costello deluxe package-- even an overpriced one-- if it ever offered something that I really wanted.

Thankfully, I suppose, it always seems like the extra stuff isn't worth it. I got excited when I saw the link to pre-order the "box set", thinking that maybe they had decided to put all 40 tracks out in a "deluxe" edition, but I don't really need a "fan poster" or prints of Dylan's handwritten lyrics.

I will still end up buying it on vinyl and CD, just to keep my collections more or less "complete"...

I am enjoying the first song, can't wait to hear more of them...
And No Coffee Table

iTunes includes the track lengths.

Standard edition track listing:

1. Down On The Bottom 4:28
2. Married To My Hack 1:57
3. Kansas City 4:04
4. Spanish Mary 5:31
5. Liberty Street 2:44
6. Nothing To It 3:31
7. When I Get My Hands On You 3:10
8. Duncan And Jimmy 4:09
9. Lost On The River #12 3:41
10. Florida Key 3:19
11. Hidee Hidee Ho #11 4:44
12. Stranger 4:21
13. Card Shark 2:35
14. Six Months In Kansas City (Liberty Street) 3:36
15. Lost On The River #20 3:47

And here's the deluxe version again with track lengths:

1. Down On The Bottom 4:28
2. Married To My Hack 1:57
3. Kansas City 4:04
4. Spanish Mary 5:31
6. Nothing To It 3:31
7. Golden Tom – Silver Judas 2:39
8. When I Get My Hands On You 3:10
9. Duncan And Jimmy 4:09
10. Florida Key 3:19
12. Lost On The River #12 3:41
13. Stranger 4:21
14. Card Shark 2:35
15. Quick Like A Flash 3:17
16. Hidee Hidee Ho #16 3:51
17. Diamond Ring 2:53
18. The Whistle Is Blowing 5:16
19. Six Months In Kansas City (Liberty Street) 3:36
20. Lost On The River #20 3:47

If my math is right, the deluxe version is 73 minutes and 33 seconds. (Remember when we thought the album would be short with only 11 tracks?)
And No Coffee Table

And here's the deluxe track listing yet again, this time with the name of the singer/composer added where known.

1. Down On The Bottom 4:28 Jim James
2. Married To My Hack 1:57 Elvis Costello
3. Kansas City 4:04 Marcus Mumford
4. Spanish Mary 5:31 Rhiannon Giddens
6. Nothing To It 3:31 Jim James
7. Golden Tom – Silver Judas 2:39
8. When I Get My Hands On You 3:10
9. Duncan And Jimmy 4:09 Rhiannon Giddens
10. Florida Key 3:19 Elvis Costello
12. Lost On The River #12 3:41
13. Stranger 4:21
14. Card Shark 2:35
15. Quick Like A Flash 3:17
16. Hidee Hidee Ho #16 3:51
17. Diamond Ring 2:53 Elvis Costello
18. The Whistle Is Blowing 5:16
19. Six Months In Kansas City (Liberty Street) 3:36
20. Lost On The River #20 3:47 Elvis Costello

It's possible Elvis sings the other Lost On The River (#12), but that would mean Elvis sings two songs in a row on the standard edition.

Taylor Goldsmith must sing something, but the poor guy hasn't been associated with a specific track in the reports we have so far.
Jack of All Parades

Possible album cover exposed here- I like the sepia aspects:

http://www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com/artw ... -revealed/
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

The title "Married To My Hack" baffled & intrigued me, so I looked up the definition of "hack." The word has even more meanings than I had anticipated, but few of them made much sense in this context (then again, this is Dylan so you can't always take things too literally). But I did learn it's a term for a guard (particularly a prison guard), so that struck me as very plausible. It can also refer to an old tired horse, which could possibly (a long shot, I know) tie it to the long-known but never heard Basement Tapes song " You Own A Racehorse" (which has been copyrighted by Dylan's people, so we can be confident it's genuine).
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

Also intriguing are the three separate (but seemingly related) titles: "Kansas City," "Liberty Street," & "Six Months in Kansas City (Liberty Street)."

Wonder if the first two only existed as lyrical fragments that were then finished by The Group (as we heard about in one instance, I recall). Perhaps the last one is an attempt to blend the two unfinished sets of lyrics together? There is in fact a Liberty Street in Kansas City, which would either be a happy coincidence or suggest the two songs had a pre-existing relationship.
And No Coffee Table

The Lost on the River Wikipedia article includes song-by-song writing credits, but I suspect they may be fake, because no source is given and Taylor Goldsmith is credited with writing "Florida Key" and "Diamond Ring," which have been credited to EC in other reports.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

And No Coffee Table wrote:The Lost on the River Wikipedia article includes song-by-song writing credits, but I suspect they may be fake, because no source is given and Taylor Goldsmith is credited with writing "Florida Key" and "Diamond Ring," which have been credited to EC in other reports.

You might be right. But it's also possible the Costello versions of the tracks you mention are simply being held over for Volume Two.

IF (big if) the credits are accurate-- and assuming the musicians are only singing lead on the tracks that they have a songwriting credit-- it would mean the EC songs on this set are: "Married To My Hack," "Golden Tom-Silver Judas," "Lost On The River #12," "Hidee Hidee Ho #16," & "Six Weeks In Kansas City (Liberty Street)."

Would someone really make the effort of faking the songwriting credits? At best they would be punking the 3 or 4 people out there that REALLY care about this sort of thing. Then again, I've seen stranger things.
And No Coffee Table

The Gentleman wrote:You might be right. But it's also possible the Costello versions of the tracks you mention are simply being held over for Volume Two.
Could be!

The Wikipedia contributor claims to have received the writing credits directly from the record company. He/she is also very insistent that "The New Basement Tapes" is the name of the group.
jardine

Post by jardine »

On the first few listens, i like the sound of this track. hope it bodes well
Jack of All Parades

This discussion of Jim James's reworking of the lyric to the first leaked song "Nothing To It" was informative. Man, I enjoy his tenor:

http://www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com/excl ... ck-em-now/
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:You might be right. But it's also possible the Costello versions of the tracks you mention are simply being held over for Volume Two.
Could be!

The Wikipedia contributor claims to have received the writing credits directly from the record company. He/she is also very insistent that "The New Basement Tapes" is the name of the group.
Amazon also lists that as the band name, oddly enough.