Elvis (solo), Amsterdam (Netherlands), October 22, 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis (solo), Amsterdam (Netherlands), October 22, 2014

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis (solo), Amsterdam (Netherlands), October 22, 2014

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

i'm going.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm going too.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

migdd

Post by migdd »

If the posted setlist is indeed accurate (and I have my doubts), sets seem to becoming less adventurous as the tour progresses. Still, wish I could have attended a date on this tour when it was still stateside.
Last edited by migdd on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos from Facebook -

Ron

Post by Ron »

migdd wrote:If the posted setlist is indeed accurate (and I have my doubts), sets seem to becoming less adventurous as the tour progresses. Still, wish I could have attended a date on this tour when it was still stateside.
The setlist is correct. Despite the lack of adventure and the absence of Steve Nieve I still had a great time. Personal favs: Poison Moon, Comediants, Ghost train, Detectives and, of course, PLU. :D
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

The lack of adventure in the setlists was the point I was making. I'm glad someone agrees with me!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://lflmagazine.nl/concertrecensies/ ... ello-carre

Elvis Costello in Carré

Carré verkoopt hij zo uit, maar hoe komt het dat Elvis Costello toch altijd een artiest is gebleven voor de echte liefhebber en dat hij nooit is toegetreden tot de ‘royalty’ van de muziek? Is het zijn scherpe stem, die een ‘acquired taste’ vergt? Waren het al zijn muzikale stijlwisselingen, van punk naar country, van Burt Bacharach tot The Roots en een duet met Elmo en Koekiemonster? Was het zijn vermeende houterigheid? Aan de kwaliteit en kwantiteit van zijn werk zal het niet liggen, bleek ook op deze oktoberavond in Amsterdam.

De stem van Costello gaat nu al zestig jaar mee en functioneert vrijwel de gehele avond heel behoorlijk. Tijdens She (oorspronkelijk van Charles Aznavour, Costello’s versie staat op de soundtrack van Notting Hill) zit Costello er wel wat naast, verder staan zowel zijn karakteristieke gekrijs als het subtielere werk als een huis. En dat terwijl hij de gehele avond kauwgum lijkt te kauwen.

Costello speelt deze keer solo. Vanavond zelfs geen Steve Nieve of Larkin Poe. “Mijn speciale gast, dat ben ik zelf,” vertelt hij. Op het podium staan zeven gitaren, die allemaal aan de beurt komen. Hij bespeelt ze in minstens zeven stijlen, van weinig subtiele slaggitaar tot warm gepluk. Tijdens Watching The Detectives lijkt hij te solliciteren op een vacature bij Crazy Horse (aan het einde zelfs bij Einstürzende Neubauten). En we zien Elvis Costello op zijn aller-subtielst als hij zonder microfoon, met akoestische gitaar en schijnbaar met gemak Alison ten gehore brengt in een muisstil Carré. Het is er de zaal voor, maar je moet het maar kunnen.

Engagement

Op de achterkant van een van de gitaren zit een sticker: Rebuild New Orleans, Not Iraq! Niet alleen een geste naar de stad waar zo veel van de muziek die hem beïnvloedde vandaan kwam, misschien ook een knipoog naar zijn gastrol in de onvolprezen Amerikaanse tv-serie The Treme, maar vooral ook een teken van het engagement dat met grote regelmaat in zijn werk is terug te vinden. Bijvoorbeeld in Shipbuilding, zowel ingetogen als keihard protest tegen de Falklandoorlog en nog regelmatig actueel, dat vanavond wordt gebracht vanachter een elektronische piano.

Costello in blauw pak, zwart vest, paars shirt en met een Panamahoed (wat zich daaronder nog bevindt, laat zich slechts raden) blijkt weer een charmant causeur te zijn. Zelden iemand gezien die zo ontspannen met het publiek praat. Goed, sommige van die praatjes zijn wat minder spontaan dan je zou denken en waren bijvoorbeeld net zo te horen in Brussel (dat daar ‘The City Of Love’ werd genoemd, nu viel die eer te beurt aan Amsterdam, volgende week Bazel). Tijdens When I Was Cruel #2 horen we spontaan een stukje Dancing Queen van ABBA, ook net als in Brussel. Maar de Belgen hoorden vast niet hoe hij zich bij een opname van TopPop met Nile Rodgers achter de coulissen zat te vergapen aan de Dolly Dots of hoe bij zijn eerste optreden in Carré de hele eerste rij werd leeg gehouden voor Bob Dylan, die nooit kwam opdagen. En dan dat optreden hier in 1984, waar maar geen einde aan kwam.

Verzadiging

Ook vanavond een Heintje-Davids-afscheid. Maar liefst tien toegiften, een derde van het hele concert. Er valt dan nog genoeg te genieten, maar je moet wel erg veel van die stem houden om nu toch niet een punt van verzadiging te bereiken. Een groot aantal van de aanwezigen heeft daar duidelijk geen last van. Met een warm I Want You en een knallend (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? komt er dan toch een einde aan een innemend concert.

-------------------
Google translation: https://translate.google.be/translate?s ... t=&act=url

Elvis Costello in Carré

Carré as he sells out, but how is it that Elvis Costello always an artist remained for the enthusiast and that he never joined the royalty of the music? Is it his sharp voice, an 'acquired taste' needs? Were all his musical style changes, from punk to country, from Burt Bacharach to The Roots and a duet with Elmo and Cookie Monster? Was it his alleged woodenness? The quality and quantity of his work will not lie, also revealed On this October evening in Amsterdam.

The voice of Costello goes along for sixty years now and operates almost the entire night pretty decent. While She (originally by Charles Aznavour, Costello's version is on the soundtrack of Notting Hill) Costello is there something besides further assist both its distinctive squealing as subtle work as a house. And while he seems to chew. Throughout the evening gum

Costello plays this time solo. Tonight even Steve Nieve or Larkin Poe. "My special guest, that is myself," he says. On stage seven guitars, all of which are on the way. He plays them in at least seven styles of little subtle rhythm guitar to warm-picking. While Watching The Detectives he seems to apply for a job at Crazy Horse (at the end even with Einstürzende Neubauten). And we see Elvis Costello at his most subtle of all-when he plays music without a microphone, with acoustic guitar and seemingly with ease Alison in a quiet Carré. It is the hall, but you need it to.

engagement

On the back of one of the guitars is a sticker: Rebuild New Orleans, Not Iraq! Not just a gesture to the city where so much of the music that influenced him came from, perhaps a nod to his guest role in the acclaimed American TV series The Treme, but also a sign of the commitment with great regularity in his work is to be found. For example, in Shipbuilding, both understated and hard protest against the Falklands War, and regularly up to date, which is placed behind an electronic piano tonight.

Costello in blue suit, black vest, purple shirt and a Panama hat (which is located below it, can be just a guess) appears to be. Charming conversationalist again Rarely seen someone so relaxed talking to the audience. Well, some of those tales are less spontaneous than you might think and for example, were equally heard in Brussels (which was 'The City Of Love' was called, now that honor was to Amsterdam, Basel next week). In When I Was Cruel # 2 we hear a piece spontaneously Dancing Queen by ABBA, even as in Brussels. But the Belgians heard probably not how he and a recording of TopPop with Nile Rodgers sat marvel at the Dolly Dots or behind the scenes how the entire first row was kept vacant for Bob Dylan, who never showed up at his first appearance in Carré . And that gig here in 1984, but where no end.

saturation

Also tonight Heintje Davids-bye. As many as ten encores, one third of the entire concert. There is still plenty to enjoy, but you have to keep a lot of that voice now does not arrive. A saturation point A large number of the attendees gave a clear no problems. With a warm I Want You and a sparkling (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? is there still an end to a captivating concert.

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.parool.nl/parool/nl/23/MUZIE ... -had.dhtml

Costello haalde vocaal uit alsof hij een complete band had
3 stars (out of 5)

Het is lang zoeken naar een artiest die net zo actief en vooral net zo veelzijdig is als Elvis Costello. Bijna elk genre probeerde hij, de lijst van zangers en muzikanten met wie hij werkte, onder wie de echt heel groten, is eindeloos lang. Op het podium merk je van dat alles weinig. Denk bijvoorbeeld maar niet dat The Roots, de Amerikaanse hiphopgroep waarmee hij het vorig jaar verschenen album Wise up ghost opnam, tijd heeft om uitgebreid met hem te toeren.

Optreden doet de Engelse singer-songwriter van Ierse komaf vooral in zijn eentje. An evening with Elvis Costello meldden de affiches en kaartjes voor zijn optreden in Carré. En een avond met Elvis Costello was het. Al die gitaren die klaar stonden op het podium, vooral vintage akoestische modellen, werden allemaal door hemzelf bespeeld. En wil zich bij solo-optredens van Costello in de loop van de avond nog wel eens een toetsenist op het podium melden, dit keer kroop hij aan het einde van het concert zelf achter de piano.

Ruim twee uur duurde het concert, en het was voor wie geen onvoorwaardelijk Costellofan is, soms best even doorbijten. Pas in het tweede uur werd het echt wat. Dat was niet doordat de zanger toen eindelijk op gang kwam, het was doordat hij toen eindelijk eens gas terugnam. Akoestische concerten zijn meestal intieme concerten. Maar Costello stond in het eerste deel van het concert vocaal uit te halen alsof hij een complete band achter zich had staan.

En dat terwijl zijn stem, nasaal en scherp, er toch al een is waar je van moet houden. Gitaarspelen deed hij dat eerste deel ook weinig subtiel; alleen maar slaggitaar, keihard. Toen hij als twintiger zijn entree maakte in de popmuziek, speelde hij de rol van gifkikker met verve, maar als man van gevorderde leeftijd (60) is hij minder overtuigend.

Heel wat meer indruk maakte Costello toen hij, gezeten op een stoeltje, overschakelde op wat rustiger repertoire. Walkin' my baby back home, een liedje uit de jaren dertig, was de opening van een serie songs waarin Costello's stem eindelijk eens wat warmer en vriendelijker klonk. Ook wel lekker dat daarbij dat geram op de gitaar plaatsmaakte voor fingerpicking. Het was ook het moment waarop in Costello de verhalenverteller loskwam.

Prachtige anekdotes had hij. Over zijn opa en vader die ook muzikanten waren: 'Ik zet het familiebedrijf voort.' Over een eerder optreden in Carré waarbij de hele eerste rij was vrijgehouden voor Bob Dylan met zijn gevolg, toevallig ook in de stad. Natuurlijk kwamen ze niet opdagen. En over die keer dat hij samen met Chic in Toppop zat en hij en Nile Rogers zich vanuit de coulissen vergaapten aan de Dolly Dots: 'Nog altijd als ik Nile tegenkom, hebben we het erover.'

In het laatste deel van het optreden was het tijd voor het bekendere werk uit zijn letterlijk honderden songs tellende catalogus. Geen concert van Elvis Costello is compleet zonder Allison. Een wonderschoon nummer, maar wat kan de zanger er na al die jaren nog mee? Een goede vondst was dat hij de ballad zonder enige versterking zong en speelde. Tot op de bovenste rij was moeiteloos te volgen wat hij deed: ja, het heeft best een aardige akoestiek, dat Carré.

-----------------------
Google translation: https://translate.google.be/translate?s ... t=&act=url

Costello took vocal as if he had a full band
3 stars (out of 5)

It's long search for an artist who is as active and especially as versatile as Elvis Costello. Almost every genre he tried, the list of singers and musicians with whom he worked, including the really big ones, is endless. On stage, you notice all that much. For example, Do not think The Roots, American hip-hop group with which he recorded last year's album Wise up ghost, has time to tour extensively with him.

Does occur, the English singer-songwriter of Irish descent mostly on his own. An evening with Elvis Costello reported the posters and tickets for his performance in Carré. And an evening with Elvis Costello was. All those guitars that were finished on the podium, especially vintage acoustic models were all played by himself. And wants sometimes report a keyboardist on stage with solo performances by Costello in the course of the evening, this time he crawled to the end of the concert itself at the piano.

Lasted more than two hours the concert, and it was for whom no unconditional Costellofan is sometimes best to bite. Only in the second hour it was really something. That was not because the singer came when finally underway, it was because he finally took back then gas. Acoustic concerts are usually intimate concerts. But Costello was in the first part of the concert vocal pick if he had stood. A full band behind him from

And while his voice, nasal and sharp, there already is one where you need to keep. Playing the guitar he did that first part is little subtle; only rhythm guitar, rock hard. When he made ​​his entrance twenties in popular music, he played the role of poison dart frog with verve, but as a man of advanced age (60) he is less convincing.

A lot more impressive was Costello when he sat on a chair, switched to quieter repertoire. Walkin 'my baby back home, a song from the thirties, was the opening of a series of songs that Costello's voice finally sounded warmer and friendlier. Also called good leaving that bashing on the guitar gave way to finger picking. It was also the time when Costello came loose in the storyteller.

Beautiful anecdotes he had. About his grandfather and father were also musicians, "I continued the family business." An earlier appearance in Carré where the entire first row was reserved for Bob Dylan with his entourage, also happens to be in town. Of course they did not show. And about the time he was with Chic in Toppop and he and Nile Rogers himself marveled from the wings to the Dolly Dots "Still when I run Nile, we are talking about it."

In the last part of the action, the time for the more famous work are literally hundreds of songs catalog. Was No concert is complete without Elvis Costello Allison. A wonderful song, but what can the singer after all these years still with it? A good find was that he sang the ballad without any amplification and played. Up on the top row was effortless to follow what he did: yes, it has a fairly good acoustics, which Carré.

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Elvis visits the "Rijksmuseum" in Amsterdam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLui2_cUO0Y
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

These "popular" papers cover the presence of Elvis in the Netherlands:
http://www.telegraaf.nl/prive/23243239/ ... eum__.html
http://www.paparazzio.nl/elvis-costello ... -amsterdam
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.podiuminfo.nl/review/3417/El ... 0_-_Carre/

Verslag: Elvis Costello - 22/10 - Carre

De inmiddels 60-jarige Elvis Costello is de jongste niet meer maar weet anno nu nog steeds stampvolle zalen te trekken. Zijn soloconcert in Carré is namelijk zó uitverkocht dat het theater maar een wachtlijst moest invoeren. Wanneer de lichten uit gaan, begint de avond met een luid gejoel van een zaal vol met fans die inmiddels flink met de grote ster mee verjaard zijn.

Een belangrijk aspect dat Costello deze avond typeert, is zijn bijzonder leuke gevoel voor humor. Wanneer de spotlights aangaan, rent hij vrolijk het podium op, duikt nog even snel weg achter de piano die klaarstaat op het podium, springt weer overeind, neemt zijn hoedje af en zet hem weer op en rent tot slot naar een van zijn vele gitaren waarna hij met pit het nummer ‘45’ inzet.

Gedurende deze show brengt de Britse singer-songwriter de crème de la crème van zijn oeuvre ten gehore, al blijft het soms angstvallig stil in de zaal. Na het eindigen van ‘Either Side of the Same Town’ draait hij zich om voor het nemen van een slokje water en zegt aan de hand van deze stilte: “I thought you were gone!”. Zijn show vol zit met grappige anekdotes over zijn wilde jeugd en vele andere verhalen, én tevens met covers van artiesten die hem hebben geïnspireerd. Zo brengt hij het nummer ‘Lost On the River’ van Bob Dylan ten gehore en volgt niet lang hierna ook het welbekende nummer ‘She’ van Charles Aznavour die hij op een prachtige, gevoelige manier weet te vertolken waarna een oorverdovend applaus en gegil de zaal vult.

Er kan met zekerheid gezegd worden dat Elvis Costello een echte entertainer is en een ijzersterke one-man show neer weet te zetten die soms vol verrassingen zit. Dit bewijst zich tijdens het nummer ‘Watching the Detectives’ waarbij hij halverwege een minuten lang durende gitaarsolo ten gehore brengt en er op een gegeven moment zelfs vanuit het niets een megafoon bij pakt en er doorheen begint te loeien met de sirene. Na deze aparte, memorabele performance neemt Costello afstand van de microfoon, plugt hij zijn gitaar uit en zegt hij vanwege de prachtige akoestiek van de zaal het nummer ‘Alison’ zonder enige versterking te willen spelen. Hiermee krijgt hij de gehele zaal muisstil. Het publiek gaat na afloop uit zijn dak en geeft de man een dik verdiende staande ovatie die aardig lang aanhoudt totdat hij zijn eerste toegift inzet.

Waar hij tot nu toe enkel nog op zijn gitaar speelde en iedereen zich nou al af begon te vragen waar die piano voor was (want het was toch solo in concert?), kruipt Costello voor een aantal nummers achter dit instrument. Zijn ruim 2,5 uur durende show is tot slot zelfs nog voorzien van een tweede toegift. De ster eindigt met de ballad ‘I Want You’ en vervolgens met de knaller ‘Peace, Love and Understanding’ waarmee hij zijn fans een avond heeft gegeven die zij niet snel meer zullen vergeten.

--------------
Google translation: https://translate.google.be/translate?s ... edit-text=

Report: Elvis Costello - 22/10 - Carre

The now 60-year-old Elvis Costello is the youngest do not know, but nowadays still attract. Crowded halls His solo concert in Carré is in fact sold so that the theater but had to enter. Waiting list When the lights go out, the evening begins with a loud booing of a room full of fans that have been down with the big star with barred.

An important aspect that characterizes Costello this evening, its very nice sense of humor. When the spotlight entering, he runs happily on stage, dives have a quick way behind the piano that is ready on the stage, jumps up, takes his hat off and put it back on and runs finally to one of his many guitars after He pit with the song "45" bet.

During this show brings the British singer-songwriter, the crème de la crème of his work played back, though sometimes it remains studiously quiet in the hall. After the end of 'Either Side of the Same Town "he turns around to take a sip of water and say on the basis of this silence:" I thought you were gone ". His show is full of funny anecdotes about his wild youth and many other stories, and also with covers of artists who have inspired him. He brings the song "Lost On The River" by Bob Dylan rendering and long not follow hereafter the well-known song 'She' by Charles Aznavour whom he knows to interpret after a deafening applause and screams the audience on a beautiful, sensitive manner fills.

It can be said with certainty that Elvis Costello is a real entertainer and a strong one-man show knows how to take sometimes is full of surprises down. This proves himself during the song 'Watching the Detectives' which he lengthy guitar solo performer; halfway through a minute, and at one point even from scratch with a megaphone up and through it begins to howl with the siren. After this special, memorable performance Costello takes away from the microphone, he plugs his guitar and he says he wants to play it. 'Alison' without any amplification because of the wonderful acoustics of the hall This he gets the whole room silent. The crowd goes afterwards from his roof and gives the man a deserved standing ovation that kind lasts until he stakes his first encore.

Where he has played only his guitar and everyone now already started asking where the piano was wondering (because it was still solo in concert?) Crawls Costello for some numbers behind this instrument. Its more than 2.5 hour show is finally even with a second encore. The star ends with the ballad "I Want You" and then with the stunner 'Peace, Love and Understanding "which he has given that they will not soon forget. More his fans an evening

Photo slide show: http://www.podiuminfo.nl/image/62350/El ... _Costello/
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

DIME (including 'Matthew met Mary ...):

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=508411
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Jan Vollaard published in NRC Handelsblad on October 23, 2014:

" Elvis Costello verslikt zich

Elvis Costello solo is als een dierbare plaat met een kras. Zijn liedjes zijn vertrouwd en goed en hij brengt ze met schwung, maar na verloop van tijd beginnen zijn tekortkomingen te irriteren. Zuiver zingen is niet het sterkste punt van de voormalige punkrocker, die zich regelmatig verslikt in zijn muzikale ambities.

De meeste van zijn songs zijn gemaakt om in ensembleverband gespeeld te worden. Nu de zestigjarige geen vaste band meer heeft en hij zich op recente platen omringt met prestigieuze partners als Burt Bacharach, The Roots en zijn vrouw Diana Krall, gaat hij als solist op tournee. Alleen met gitaar of piano speelt hij zijn nummers ruwer en kaler dan de originelen, met de bekende overslaande stem die nu moeite heeft met hoge noten.

Wanneer hij zich waagt aan Charles Aznavours She of zijn eigen ballad Shipbuilding, is het resultaat enorm vals. Het publiek pikt het omdat hij Elvis Costello ís, de innemende en hardwerkende performer die gisteren in Carré ruim twee uur op het podium stond. Alle facetten uit zijn bijna veertigjarige carrière kwamen voorbij, van de oude punksongs tot een swing-intermezzo waarin hij zichzelf als ‘special guest’ opvoerde.

Hilarisch was zijn verhaal over de Dolly Dots, die hij ooit bij een Nederlands tv-programma tegenkwam en die hij samen met Nile Rodgers vanuit de coulissen had bewonderd om hun kleurrijke niksigheid. Ook de autobiografische verhalen over zijn vader en grootvader raakten veel meer doel dan zijn muzikale prestaties. Onverminderd sterke nummers als Oliver’s army en Watching the detectives schreeuwden om een rockband die er body aan had kunnen geven. Costello is nu eenmaal geen Nick Lowe of Kris Kristofferson, die juist aan kracht winnen als ze hun muziek tot op het bot uitkleden.
----
Pop
Gehoord 22/10 Carré Amsterdam.
Elvis Costello
●●○○○ "

Or in "English" via Googletranslate:

"Elvis Costello chokes

Elvis Costello solo is like a precious album with a scratch. His songs are familiar and well and he brings them with panache, but over time begin to irritate his shortcomings. Pure singing is not the strongest point of the former punk rocker who regularly chokes on his musical ambitions.

Most of his songs are made to be played in ensembles. Now the band has no fixed sixty and he surrounds himself with recent records with prestigious partners such as Burt Bacharach , The Roots and his wife, Diana Krall , he toured as a soloist. Only with guitar or piano, he plays his songs rougher and balder than the originals, with the familiar voice breaking now has difficulty with high notes.

When he dares to Charles Aznavour's She or his own ballad Shipbuilding , the result is enormous false. The audience picks up because he ís Elvis Costello, the affable and hardworking performer yesterday Carré was over two hours on stage. All facets of his career nearly forty passed, the old punk songs to a swing interlude in which he introduced himself as a 'special guest' .

Hilarious was his story about Dolly Dots, he once met at a Dutch television program and he along with Nile Rodgers had admired from the wings for their colorful niksigheid. The autobiographical stories about his father and grandfather were much more objective than his musical accomplishments. Without strong numbers as Oliver's army and Watching the detectives yelling at a rock band that could give body to it. Costello is not like Nick Lowe or Kris Kristofferson , who become even more prominent as they undress their music to the bone."

MOOT