Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.aikenpromotions.com/componen ... ign=buffer

An Evening With
Elvis Costello
Solo In Concert,
Bord Gáis Energy Theatre Dublin,
Thursday 16 October 2014.

http://bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/news-ar ... his-autumn

No prices or link for tickets yet. The stalls are the best in this venue. A 2000 seater, sight lines and sound are great all over but for a show like this involving one performer the circles offer a very distant view. I saw Gillian Welsh & David Rawlings there from a the third row - friends in the balcony said it was difficult to get involved with the show from up there. The venue usually hosts touring productions from the West End. I saw the Bolshoi Ballet there so that'll give you an idea of the scale involved.

http://bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/bord_ga ... ating-plan

Bradwellboy

Re: Elvis, solo, Dublin , Oct 16 2014

Post by Bradwellboy »

John

Was hoping Dublin was going to be a Saturday so the wife could go but alas.

So we are off to Edinburgh

Paul
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Next time!
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Damn, shame it ain't last week of the month or it could have been part of a good plan to visit the in-laws during half-term. Hope you have a Gáis time at it.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tickets on sale tomorrow.

http://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18004C ... entKeyword

I got chatting with John Kelly , Elvis's cohort on many a radio show back along, at the Laura Cantrell show here the other day. He told me Elvis had 'phoned him the day before asking about the venue. The other venues considered were Vicar Street & The National Concert Hall. John didn't say so but I'm guessing the kind of payment Elvis is looking for would make the ticket price for those lower capacity venues exorbitant. The c. €60 ticket price for the 2000 seater Grand Canal Theatre ( I hate the venues sponsored name so I'm not using it) just about adds up. John agreed with me that the stalls at the front are the best. He had seen Randy Newman there from a side box and the sound wasn't great.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

If it wasn't for the pesky wife and kids I'd be spending a fortune and going to quite a few nights - Dublin, Edinburgh, Paris and the Belgian and Dutch dates. But the reality will be Paris only unless a commutable Welsh date is announced.

I love that he is doing different theatres as he did in the US.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to the bro on the 'net (while I'm *at work*) I got row c in the stalls, seat 25 - yay! Grab 'em quick!
funkygibbon666

Post by funkygibbon666 »

am flying over from London to Dublin for the gig on the 16th (will be right near john foyle it appears) and toying with the idea of going to Edinburgh for the Saturday gig. Anyone got a spare or know of a decent ticket for sale for Usher Hall?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Great! Dr J , one time regular here, is also in row c. Last time a few of us were at a Dublin show, Sept '02, we all thought the other was noteing the setlist & none of us were & we ended up with no list - we'll consult this time ! :-)
funkygibbon666

Post by funkygibbon666 »

DrJ got me the ticket so I'm guessing we might meet up pre-gig - I look forward to it.
verbal gymnastics

funkygibbon666 wrote:am flying over from London to Dublin for the gig on the 16th (will be right near john foyle it appears) and toying with the idea of going to Edinburgh for the Saturday gig. Anyone got a spare or know of a decent ticket for sale for Usher Hall?
Nicola76 has a spare front row ticket for Edinburgh if that's close enough for you.

Drop her a PM.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

DrJ got me the ticket so I'm guessing we might meet up pre-gig - I look forward to it.
Well that's 3 shows that'll definitely get recordings done - good news for us all Funky !
funkygibbon666

Post by funkygibbon666 »

I'm considering going to Bexhill and Kew too. Will probably hover here looking for a spare for Bexhill too. I've been v disorganised ticket wise for this jaunt
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

So far only doing Paris and Bexhill , we'll see what else comes up in June/July :wink:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Print ads are starting to appear in newspapers here -

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

While getting a ticket (for Mark Lanegan in Dublin in Jan .'15) today at a Ticketmaster counter I asked the man to look up availability for Elvis at this show. The good news is that they only have tickets left for the Upper Circle. All the indications have been that this show is selling well . If it wasn't there would have any number of promo activities - retweet offers, print interviews , radio/tv interviews etc.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Having a sandwich & water at a coffee shop near tonight's venue. It's drizzly & warm out as the endless summer continues.
Today dragged but here I am minutes away from the first of two evenings of Elvis - yay!
verbal gymnastics

I've just been reading the Stuttgart review- let's hope his voice holds up...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

johnfoyle wrote:Having a sandwich & water at a coffee shop near tonight's venue. It's drizzly & warm out as the endless summer continues.
Today dragged but here I am minutes away from the first of two evenings of Elvis - yay!
wishing you two stellar evenings...hope you get your favorites and many surprises too! ENJOY EVERY SANDWICH!! i mean song... :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis was in great voice tonight in Dublin. Along with regulars from recent shows we got choice items like When I Was Cruel No. 2 ( first time since 2006) and Deportees ( dedicated to Christy Moore). Starting at 8.15 he was on until 10.20 or so. The packed venue seemed to enjoy themselves.

As you can see I was right up front , third row. That , alas, meant I was subject to the evening's one big minus - terrible sound. Well, for the first six rows or so - the bloke next to me came back from the Gents and said it was magical how much better the sound got as he walked up the aisle. For most of the show all I was hearing was the echo of the speakers from the back of the hall. The quieter numbers weren't too bad. A truly magical off- mic performance of Alison at the edge of the stage somewhat compensated for the rest of the evening.

I noted songs until , alas again, the pen stopped working. Yes, it was that kind of evening. Besides the crap sound, I was seated next to a fat bloke with industrial level BO. I'm so glad I'm going to Belfast tomorrow - there's no way it could be as bad as tonight. I didn't take any photos because the stage lights were too bright for my camera and the venue staff were fanatical in flashing lights at anyone who tried.

In short, great show by Elvis but in , for me, trying circumstance.

Here's a setlist , accurate until no. 14 and then reconstructed from memory and looking at the setlist

1. 45
2. Either Side Of The Same Town
3. Veronica
4. Poison Moon
5. Deportees
6. Accidents Will Happen
7. Ascension Day
8. Come The Mean Times
9. Condemned Man
10. I'll Wear It Proudly
11. Every Day I Write The Book
12. Walking My Baby Back Home
13. Ghost Train
14. When I Was Cruel No. 2
15. She
16. Watching The Detectives
17. April 5th
18. Shipbuilding
19. Oliver's Army
20. 'new song ' - maybe Lost In The River
21. Good Year For The Roses
22. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
23. Alison
24. The Last Year Of My Youth
25. (Whats So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love & Understanding.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

"industrial level BO" :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the good laugh this morning.

To bad the sound wasn't better for your concert, but seems like you managed to have a good time.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos by Dr J

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/elv ... dublin/651

Elvis Costello - Dublin

The seemingly evergreen Elvis Costello bounds on-stage, slightly lurched forward and faux-startled as if he just wandered into the guard’s spotlight during a prison break. His six guitars lined up behind him like willing accomplices, each one awaiting their chance to impress the leader. Tonight Declan McManus takes his solo show “home” and song after song reinforces the oft held – and justified – notions of legend status he acquired over his 35 year career.

Having altered his considerable set list on each night of the tour so far, Costello has the deftness to read the crowd and amend his set at will. He literally stands there, pointing, gauging, anticipating the crowd’s reactions and plucks songs from his repertoire accordingly. ‘45’, ‘Either Side of the Same Town’ and ‘Veronica’ are played to a somewhat muted crowd, polite, middle-aged applause after each. Only when ‘Ascension Day’ is played do the crowd really come to life and the requests come thick and fast. Each shout is met with a smile or a nod from Costello but this is par for the course for him; meeting a late volley of requests with a gentle riposte; “Yeah, those songs are good too”.

For the most part, his guitar playing is exemplary. He struts back and forth, easily mastering what appear to be every chord and derivative in the music universe. Vocally he is as good as he has been in years and with each wide and restrained vowel there is a little dry croak which suits his delivery perfectly. ‘She’ is playfully introduced by it’s supposed original lyrics “dragged into the desert and plucked for all eternity by the vultures of fate” while ‘Ghost Train’ and ‘Watching the Detectives’ bring the first part of the set to a close.

When he returns, as he will do again before bringing the night to a close, he chit chats and entertains the crowd’s eager interaction. Earlier complaints from one dismembered voice about the sound quality have abated and now it’s all about appreciation. Again, he stands there for slightly more than a second before visibly having a ‘right, I know what to do’ moment of determination, queue ‘Oliver’s Army’. This, clearly, is based on crowd reactions and is a testament not just to his impressive songbook, but to his ability to adapt. That’s not to say that anything tanked, more a reminder that musicians of Costello’s calibre have in their armoury something special. Leonard Cohen has it, Springsteen has it, McCartney has it and Elvis Costello has it. A lifetime of performing distilled into perfect moments. ‘Jimmy Standing in the Rain’ has all the poignancy you would expect from a man singing about his grandfather and ‘Allison’ and ‘(What’s so Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding bring a remarkable night to a close. “I have 400 songs about love and deceit”, he tells us, and it’s unlikely that anybody in the Bord Gais Theatre tonight would mind hearing each and every one of them.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.