Post by johnfoyle »

Dave posts to f/book -

According to Pollstar:
Elvis Costello
05/02/2014 - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis plays Dubai, United Arab Emirates, May 2 2014

Post by sweetest punch »

Diana is playing also in Dubai in May: http://www.dianakrallfans.com/phpBB3/vi ... &sk=t&sd=a
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Diana is playing the same venue on the same date.
Seems like Elvis is opening for her.
And Diana is playing Oman on April 30.
Will Elvis be there too?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/ ... jazz-event

Costello and Krall to play new Dubai jazz event

Elvis Costello and Diana Krall are headlining a new jazz festival in Dubai. The married couple will perform separately as part of the two-day Blended event, held at Dubai Media City Amphitheatre on May 1 and 2. Both will perform on May 2, while the British soul singer Joss Stone and the Australian roots artist Xavier Rudd will headline on May 1. Tickets begin from Dh350 and are on sale today from Virgin Megastores.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Preview at Zawya.com

http://www.zawya.com/story/Elvis_Costel ... 14_200205/

Elvis Costello, Diana Krall at Dubai music fest
Wednesday, Feb 19, 2014

Dubai: Music fans, there’s another new festival in town. Just in case last weekend’s RedFest DXB wasn’t enough, Done Events have come up with Blended, a two-night festival to take place this May 1 to 2.

With performances from Joss Stone on the first night and Elvis Costello and wife Diana Krall on night two (with further names to be added to the line-up, we’re told), this one’s for the grown-ups.

Like RedFest, Blended will take place at Dubai Media City Amphitheatre, in an all-seated event focused on blues, roots, jazz, soul and folk music.

MOOT
krm

Post by krm »

Man out of Time

TIckets and preview at Virgin Media Store.ae

"Living in the Middle East if you crave Culture & Quality Live Music, BLENDED is the event for you! Blended brings together – a mix of Blues, Roots, Jazz, Soul & Folk and features internationally acclaimed global artists.

Co-headlining day one is Australian musical legend Xavier Rudd who with an array of guitars, didgeridoos and percussion, Xavier has been credited with re-introducing Australians to indigenous music, mixing blues, reggae and folk whilst introducing the rest of the world to an entirely new sound.

Xavier is joined by UK soul sensation Joss Stone, famed for her gravelly but lustrous vocals. Joss, who had a record deal in place at the tender age of just fifteen, from which platinum selling albums including The Soul Sessions and Body Mind and Soul, 2 BRITs and a Grammy Award quickly followed.

Day two brings together two artists who, despite being married for many years, have never before performed on stage together; Elvis Costello, who was credited for being instrumental in the first wave of British Punk and New Wave movement & his wife, Legendary Canadian Jazz Pianist, Diana Krall, who has sold over 15 million albums worldwide, with Billboard magazine naming her the second Jazz artist of the 2000–09 decade, establishing her as one of the best-selling jazz artists of her time.

Blended to Create Harmonious Effect "
two artists who, despite being married for many years, have never before performed on stage together
unless you count the occasions when they have, more than a dozen of which are listed on the wiki. The most recent occasion was the 2013 Bridge School Benefit.

MOOT
Man out of Time

Preview at Time Out Dubai

By Rob Garratt
Time Out Dubai, 20 February 2014

"Elvis Costello and Diana Krall to headline new Dubai festival

Joss Stone and Xavier Rudd also on the bill for new ‘grown-up’ two-day event Blended

Legendary UK singer-songwriter Elvis Costello and jazzy Canadian singer Diana Krall will top the bill at a brand new music festival landing in Dubai.

UK soul singer Joss Stone and Australian guitarist Xavier Rudd will also headline the inaugural Blended, which takes place over two nights at Dubai Media City.

With a consciously mature music policy, the event pledges a focus on blues, roots, jazz, soul and folk, with more acts to be announced shortly.

As is stands Joss Stone, best known for retro revivalist breakout LP The Soul Sessions (2003), will headline the opening night on Thursday May 1, with Xavier Rudd, who is credited with mixing Australian indigenous music with blues and folk, also on the bill.

Then the legend that is Elvis Costello, a relic of the UK’s New Wave scene of the ’70s who survived with his credibility intact, will headline the second night on Friday May 2, alongside acclaimed, 15 million album selling singer and pianist Diana Krall.

Hoping to attract a more mature crowd than other recent events at the venue, promoters also promise ‘up-scale’ food and drinks options, plus seating - or ‘picnic’ tickets for those who like to slum it on the floor.

Thomas Ovesen COO of promoters Done Events said: ‘We know that a large number of people across the region crave culture and quality live music. Blended has been developed to meet this gap in the market, and launches a completely new live music concept in the Middle East.’

More than 18,000 people attended RedFest DXB at the same venue last weekend (February 13-14), which was headlined by Tinie Tempah, Jessie J and The Lumineers, amongst others.

Blended will take place on Thursday May 1 from 6pm and on Friday May 2 from 4pm. Further artists will be announced in due course.

Tickets priced from Dhs350 are on sale from 10am on Thursday February 20 from http://www.timeouttickets.com"

"Relic" indeed!

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

So,er, anyone here going to this ?!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

not me...but, i'd LOVE a ticket stub!! :lol: :lol:
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

Diana is playing a couple of shows in Oman this week, with Elvis there to cheer her on:
Jason Grimes ‏@gr8fuljasonpldz
@DianaKrall rocked the Royal Opera House Muscat, Oman tonight with @ElvisCostello in the crowd! pic.twitter.com/ZuI4dlN6XJ
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

A few very short videos

"I'm falling in love with you"?: http://telly.com/1J8LCGO
Almost Blue: http://instagram.com/p/nglbIVFyeg/
Alison / Oliver's Army: http://instagram.com/p/ngLUUbhg6o/

Other unsurprising songs mentioned on Twitter: "Red Shoes," "Veronica," Watching the Detectives," and "Peace, Love and Understanding."

A photo caption seems to quote Elvis telling the audience: "I don't know which songs of mine you know, so I'll just play them all."
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I think the first one is a bit of Dylan's "Wallflower".

Dave
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

FAVEHOUR wrote:I think the first one is a bit of Dylan's "Wallflower".
I think you're right, and this review agrees.

Elvis Costello and Diana Krall churn out crowd-pleasers at Dubai’s Blended festival
By Lucy Barnard
May 3, 2014 Updated: May 3, 2014 16:16:00

As a married couple who hail from Britain and Canada but live in New York, it was perhaps fitting that Elvis Costello and Diana Krall chose expatriate-tastic Dubai as the venue for their first major gig together, held on Friday at Dubai Media City Amphitheatre.

After a decade of a high-profile marriage in which the pair write and record together, they topped the bill at the new Blended festival as a long-awaited musical union.

Costello was up first, wowing the crowds with acoustic versions of his extensive back catalogue dating to his heyday as an angry young man of 1970s punk.

The 59-year-old maestro churned out the hits – starting with a pared-down version of his 1977 (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes and blending into the 1979 crowd-pleaser Accidents Will Happen.

“I don’t know which songs to play, so I’m just going to play them all,” Costello told the crowd before launching into Veronica, a tune he wrote with Paul McCartney in 1989, and then a stunning rendition of his 1981 classic Good Year for the Roses.

“I’d like to introduce you to my special guest – it’s me,” Costello joked, referring to the fact that his set consisted of just him and four guitars.

Costello’s unique and powerful voice filled the sultry Dubai night as he segued seamlessly from the 1981 hit New Amsterdam into a cover of The Beatles' You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away. From there it was a cover of the 1930s jazz standard Walkin' My Baby Back Home, a song he said he likes to sing when far away from home, and then his own 1999 song She.

Although lacking a backing band, Costello brought along a handful of effects pedals, which he used to create loops, setting up a wall of noise over which he sang his 1977 reggae song Watching the Detectives – complete with his own police loud speaker with his name on it.

Costello completed his set with the climactic (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love and Understanding.

Next up, Krall’s set, with Steinway piano and a talented jazz-backing band, was no less lacking in hits. Starting with the 1964 bossa nova Summer Samba and then the 1933 classic Let’s Fall in Love, Krall and her band showed the Dubai crowd that they could get the party going just as much as hubby.

Where Costello relied on his distinctive voice and a string of big hits to carry his set, Krall was all about technical brilliance, each note timed to blend perfectly with her breathy, mellow voice.

Krall slowed things down with a melodious rendition of Julie London’s 1955 hit Cry Me A River and the 1926 jazz standard 'Deed I Do, followed by a sultry-smooth version of Burt Bacharach’s The Look of Love.

“It’s a family show tonight,” Krall told the delighted audience as she dedicated another jazz standard, Exactly Like You, to the couple’s seven-year-old twin sons Dexter and Frank, who were at school in New York.

Adding that she had spent her first visit to Dubai skiing and shoe shopping all afternoon, Krall went on to perform a solo cover of Bob Dylan’s Simple Twist of Fate, which showed that, just like her husband, Krall could wow the crowd on account of her singing and playing alone.

Crescendoing with a string of popular hits from all eras, Krall simmered with Irvine Berlin’s Cheek to Cheek before ending with a triumphant version of Fly Me to the Moon.

But, in true showbiz style, Elvis had not left the building. As a finale, Costello and Krall performed the 1981 Costello hit Almost Blue, followed by a duet of Dylan’s Wallflower. It was disappointing that Costello messed up the timing on both; what should have been a stirring finish fell a little flat.

“Do you want to go again?” Krall asked a red-faced Costello.

Let’s hope they do.
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

FAVEHOUR wrote:I think the first one is a bit of Dylan's "Wallflower".

Dave
A longer clip of EC 'Wallflower' from last year -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehEVrUCimiU

AND OF COURSE - Docinwestchester -

http://vimeo.com/77921883
InvisibleMan

Post by InvisibleMan »

And No Coffee Table wrote: It was disappointing that Costello messed up the timing on both; what should have been a stirring finish fell a little flat.
io strombazzo!

Ombre nel sole
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Those Facebook photos are up on wiki -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _17_bd.jpg
Man out of Time

Small gallery of concert photos on the Time Out Dubai website here:

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/gallery/520 ... at-blended

and a short write-up which says:

"The Lowdown
Event: Blended
When: Thursday 1-Friday 2
Where: Dubai Media City Ampitheatre

There were too many highlights to list – Aloe Blacc begging for a dollar, Elvis Costello’s assured cool and peerless songbook, Diana Krall’s tear-jerking cover of Bob Dylan’s ‘Simple Twist of Fate’, Maverick Sabre’s stripped-back acoustic rap, Xavier Rudd’s hypnotic rootsy deepness and Joss Stone’s immutable lungs... a huge success, it’s great to hear Blended will return in 2015."

MOOT
Man out of Time

Two short video clips on Instagram:

(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
She

Credit to Geordiebird_dxb, probably not a native of Dubai.

MOOT