Chalkie Davies documentary from 2015 , featuring Elvis, repeated on BBC , July 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Chalkie Davies photo exhibition, Wales, May 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Chalkie Davies has shared some images related to a forthcoming documentary about him. The programme is on BBC 2 Wales on Friday 5th June at 9:00 PM.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05xd4yv

Chalkie comments - This is brilliant, I look like I'm facing the execution squad, total deer in the headlights vibe. Its the first photo of Elvis and myself in nearly 40 years of friendship. Best of all, they call me Charlie White.

Chalkie comments - The same moment by Sarah From The Tate...
johnfoyle

Re: Chalkie Davies photo exhibition, Wales, May - Sept 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Some of Elvis's contribution to the documentary -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02stzrh

migdd

Post by migdd »

Great hair! :wink: Lose the hat, EC.
JONPD

Re: Chalkie Davies photo exhibition, Wales, May 2015

Post by JONPD »

johnfoyle wrote:Chalkie Davies has shared some images related to a forthcoming documentary about him. The programme is on BBC 2 Wales on Friday 5th June at 9:00 PM.

It was a good programme. John Foyle and myself can be seen viewing the exhibition about 24 minutes in just before one of the Elvis segments. Blink and you miss it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I gave in & did the Tunnelbear thing. A fine, worthy tribute. Nothing stunningly new to me since I've been lucky enough to be involved in aspects of Chalkie's show for a while. I like this -

As JONPD says , he & are in it! There we are at the launch , through a glass darkly, on the right

erey

Post by erey »

Chalkie said something in this documentary about there being a chance that this exhibition might travel. JohnF -- do you know any more about that, that you're at liberty to share?

I have to echo John's sentiment that this documentary is worth seeking out, even if you need to do a little IP-address sleight-of-hand to stream it from the BBC website.

A couple of favorite images of mine from this documentary that have appeared nowhere else that I've seen:

1.) EC with his son, circa 1983. I have to assume that Chalkie did this one for EC as his friend and never intended it for publication. I liked the whole segment on Chalkie's use of the (famous, in some quarter) 20x24 Polaroid Land camera which produced this photograph.

2.) A shirtless Ian Dury. I can't imagine why this one wouldn't have made the cut for publication when it was taken, but then again I can't imagine it not being all over the internet if it had been published before. It's just a really striking portrait.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chalkie said something in this documentary about there being a chance that this exhibition might travel. JohnF -- do you know any more about that, that you're at liberty to share?

Chalkie hopes the exhibition will travel. He told me of various London gallerys that wanted to debut it but he preferred to go with the venue in his birthplace. It would be easy to transfer . The photos and the various added features - wifi guide, screens with guides etc - just need a few well lit rooms. And a sound system to play the Augustus Pablo tunes that are on permanent rotation. It all depends on the visitor numbers it generates thorough out the summer. They've been good so it here's hoping!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chalkie was too exhausted to get back to Cardiff from New York last week to show Elvis around the exhibition. He has, however, been sharing on his facebook page comments Elvis sent him after seeing the show.

"The Specials photo was especially impressive. Seeing at that scale, I had greater appreciation of Jerry's genius in briefly uniting such disparate characters and how beautifully you captured them, not one of seven less than their most vivid selves". Elvis Costello, June 25th 2015

Photo by David Pearce

"One last thing, I think it genius to have the interactive screens, allowing you to see the context of some of theses shots along with gossip, silly headlines and gig ads. It makes your achievements all the more extraordinary." Elvis Costello, June 25th 2015

Photo by David Bayliss
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The documentary will be on BBC 4 on Sunday August 9th at 22.40

johnfoyle

Re: Elvis in Chalkie Davies documentary , BBC TV 4, August 9th 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

On in half an hour!

Culture section of today's Sunday Times

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

A smaller version of Chalkie's retrospective opened in Colwyn Bay yesterday at the Oriel Colwyn Gallery . The show runs till October 31st.

http://orielcolwyn.org/
Man out of Time

Re: Chalkie Davies exhibition to open in Bath, early in 2017

Post by Man out of Time »

Chalkie's exhibition (The NME years) will be opening at the Victoria Gallery in Bath (Avon), early in 2017 (according to a post on his account on Facebook).

Good news for Chalkie and for those of us who didn't get to see it in Wales.

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: Chalkie Davies exhibition in Victoria Gallery in Bath (Avon), early in 2017

For those interested in seeing this excellent exhibition, it will run in Bath from February 26th until May 10th 2017.

No publicity on the venue's website yet, so you heard it here first...

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Chalkie Davies exhibition in Victoria Gallery Bath (Avon), February 26th until May 10th 2017.

Post by johnfoyle »

The exhibition in Bath never happened but Chalkie's photos will be in a touring exhibition in the U.K. in November/December 2017

https://www.offbeatlounge.co.uk/artofpunk

Fishfinger king

Re: Chalkie Davies photos in a touring exhibition in the U.K. in November/December 2017

Post by Fishfinger king »

The Norwich one is where I bought my car and get it serviced.
Let's hope there's special offers for customers!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
johnfoyle

Re: Chalkie Davies photos in a touring exhibition in the U.K. in November/December 2017

Post by johnfoyle »

This starts next week. Drop along and see Chalkie.
Man out of Time

The BBC have shown the documentary - Chalkie Davies: Rock Photographer, again. It is available on the BBC iPlayer (for those who can access it) here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... otographer

Only available for the next 29 days, so get in quick.

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: Chalkie Davies documentary from 2015 , featuring Elvis, repeated on BBC, November 2019

The BBC are showing the documentary - Chalkie Davies: Rock Photographer, again tomorrow morning at 03:20am.

If that time is not convenient it will be available on the BBC iPlayer (for those who can access it) here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05xd4yv

MOOT