Chalkie Davies documentary from 2015 , featuring Elvis, repeated on BBC , July 2018

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Chalkie Davies documentary from 2015 , featuring Elvis, repeated on BBC , July 2018

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm making plans to visit London on Saturday March 22nd to see a exhibition of Chalkie Davies' photos. Maybe a few of us would like to meet-up at it ? Any thoughts?

http://www.snapgalleries.com/exhibition ... k-at-snap/

Chalkie Davies Goes Click (at Snap)

15th March to 26th April 2014

First gallery exhibition for photographer Chalkie Davies
Last edited by johnfoyle on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sulky lad

Re: London meet-up, Sat. March 22nd '14 ?

Post by sulky lad »

I'd love to come but it looks doubtful that the railway will be intact following the freak storms at Dawlish and I wouldn't be able to consume my small half pint of shandy if I were to drive up ! It's pretty bad here in places in Devon, the stream which flows around 2 sides of our land has burst it's banks 3 times now but not encroached on us ---yet !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Sorry to hear that Sulky. I feel kind of bad in updating this then with the great news that Chalkie has told me, via f/book, that he'll be there on the 22nd . He'd previously told me that he'd give me a tour of the exhibit if I came over so I presume that offer still stands. I told him I'd round up a gang etc. so look lively you lot !
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Such sad news about Dawlish. We had a holiday there a few years back and walked along the sea wall a few times.

Not sure if I'd go to the exhibition but I will try and make the meet up. If it goes ahead
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Unfortunately I am going to have to miss the London meet up for the first time. It's Mrs VG's birthday so there is no chance whatsoever.

Have a good one.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

No good for me either I'm afraid. Already got work and other things on that weekend. :( Shame because it would have been interesting. Hopefully next time.
For all those that can make it...."have a good 'un".
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

sulky lad wrote:I'd love to come but it looks doubtful that the railway will be intact following the freak storms at Dawlish and I wouldn't be able to consume my small half pint of shandy if I were to drive up ! It's pretty bad here in places in Devon, the stream which flows around 2 sides of our land has burst it's banks 3 times now but not encroached on us ---yet !
I hope this is not indicative of what you are facing, Sulky Lad. Makes my 28 plus inches of snow the last few days seem rather puny. Hope you are okay.

http://holidaysincornwall.com/news-stro ... lyn-video/
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm embarrassed now - 28 inches of snow !!!- England would be shut for a year if that happened . We've not suffered at all compared to our near neighbours in the Somerset levels where years of neglect have resulted in river beds silting up and regularly overflowing and a Government and Environment Agency who have only responded in the last couple of weeks when Home Counties properties and voters have been threatened by a similar amount of flooding but have studiously ignored the problem when it only involved small communties of farmers and rural populations. Never mind, the Royal deities that are William and Harry have been taking a chance for some photo-opportunities to heft sandbags in a chain near Windosr (although I felt sorry for the poor sod in line next to William who had to carefully hand his sandbag in case the Royal line was compromised by the onset of a hernia.)
How do you cope with 28 inches of snow - and what happens when it all thaws ? That'll teach you to move to Florida in winter !!! :wink:
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Sulky- nothing to be embarrassed about. Do hope you continue to stay dry but I feel for many of your neighbors. Those pictures are dramatic. What is it with Tory governments- and I include Hatcher in Canada with that bunch, and their seeming inability to recognize the harm their environmental policies cause? I laughed as well at the sight of William and Harry and their 'photo op' to help save Windsor. I equate Florida with going away to die so it is not on my agenda hopefully for many, many decades. London is where I would like to retire if I can ever convince my wife. Though having just finished a fourth day of shoveling- I feel 'dead'. A good bout of sunshine just might do some good for these tired muscles and bones. And every time I turn the TV on now i am taunted by the sight of pitchers and catchers frolicking in the warmth of Arizona or Florida. Now I could send you some of the excess snow if you would like. I can no longer see the street from my ground floor windows as the piles have grown and in some parts they reach the base top of my front porch having now cleaned the weight of the excess snow off the porch roof. I think I am going to build an igloo today in the front yard. :wink: Stay safe and dry.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Stealing the topic a little I guess. Can't imagine that much snow outside of Arctic conditions. Today has been warm and dry and like the Devon I remember from my childhood. The ground is still saturated though and that makes the growing of early crops a lot later this year , unless I take up rice instead of root vegetables !
Thanks for your comments, stay warm and dry at least !
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

John, is this still happening as it turns out that I am able to make this date ?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Yes. I'm going to the photo show in the morning & hope to meet up with people in the afternoon. Chalkie has to confirm yet but he hopes to be able to show people around. A group of Specials fans also plan to be there that day.The more the merrier!

The location , from the Snap Gallery site -

Visit us at the gallery in Central London

We are based in a beautiful space in Piccadilly Arcade, a well known luxury destination situated on the South side of Piccadilly, opposite the Royal Academy of Arts and Burlington Arcade. Piccadilly Arcade connects Jermyn Street with Piccadilly and is one of the primary links between Mayfair and St James.The London gallery is open five days a week.

12 Piccadilly Arcade
London
SW1Y 6NH
England

Tuesday to Friday 11.00am - 6.00pm

Saturday 11.00am - 5.00pm

Sunday, Monday Closed

Bank holidays Closed
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

I hope to be able to join you for this. I may have a teenager in tow. The gallery is a very short walk from my office, so may also drop into the exhibition the previous week when not so busy.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Great!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chalkie tells me via f/book

The Gallery is open 11-6 and I had been telling people I will be there 3-6 so if you guys come at 2pm I would be there around 2.15-2.30 and could spend time with you before the others come at 3pm.
Man out of Time

Just to say that the gallery is not very big. The photo (below) shows the full width of the gallery. It is not very deep either. There may be more gallery space in the basement, but on the ground floor I would be surprised if they can hang more than 20 photos. If a lot of us turn up at once, it will get quite cosy quite quickly. Just saying.....
Snap Galleries, 12 Piccadilly Arcade
Snap Galleries, 12 Piccadilly Arcade
Snap 1.jpg (25.32 KiB) Viewed 30145 times
MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The photos in the show can be seen here

http://www.snapgalleries.com/?page=view ... emid=30068

The photos will , of course, look better in print on the wall in the gallery. One of the photos of Elvis in this sequence seems to have been wrongly subtitled. Chalkie talks about the session outside the Hoover Factory in 1978 but we see a photo from the one for The Face in 1983.
johnfoyle

Re: London meet-up, Sat. March 22nd '14

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks to Stephen McCathie for the photos .

Chalkie was generous with his time and his willingness to put up with us. Over the last few years he has been regularly in touch with me via f/book, initially in response to queries and then asking me about things etc. Given his achievements and all that I'd expected a extrovert , larger than life character. Instead we got to meet a shy, self effacing man. One to one he was relatively chatty but was hesitant when he was addressing all of us. He has had heck of a week since the exhibition opened, meeting lots of people that he hasn't seen in years. He reeled of a list of the people he'd met, including having lunch on Friday with Jake Riviera.

He said he'd only been in the UK about three times in the last thirty years. This small, two room, thirty three image exhibition is very much a warm up for a major show in the National Museum, Cardiff next year. He told us that only came about after a jokey remark in a blog a few years ago, something about him being unappreciated in his native Wales. He hadn't realised how large the premises in Cardiff is and seemed daunted at the prospects of filling it. The images for it will be so big that it takes a week to print just two of them so it will take months to have everything ready.

Towards the end of our group discussion I brought up the topic of Elvis's current activities. I said that I supposed the Broadway show with Bacharach must be his primary project. Chalkie just nodded and said 'Go on'. Myself and MOOT then related what snippets Elvis has said about it in recent interviews. Chalkie just nodded and said something about how Elvis always has a lot going on. I had made a comment a few months ago , via f/book, about the Rome festival. Chalkie brought it up yesterday & seemed to think it was still a ongoing thing, saying Elvis had talked to him about it. We mentioned that it had vanished from the schedules which surprised him. It was clear he wasn't going to say anymore.

The heat in the gallery was a bit over powering, no allowance seeming to have been made for a sunny day. It was approaching three o'clock and Chalkie was expecting a group of Specials fans at that time so we thanked him for his time, he signed my copy of his book and that was that.

Here's the card for Chalkie's show next year in Wales-

And the price list for the ongoing Snap Galleries show -

Chalkie's dedication in my copy of his 1981 book of photographs 'Pointed Portraits'. Chalkie said a new, updated edition will be out in time for next years show.

sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Sorry I did intend showing up Saturday but I have been off sick from work with a bad back. Happily back at work now.

Hope to see a few of you at Kew
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Sorry to hear that. Seeya at Kew!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://soundcloud.com/resonance-fm/14- ... 320kbps-12

Radio interview with Chalkie . He commented on his f/book page that he would have included Psycho by Elvis but it wasn't on itunes , the only source , it seems, used for the show.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chalkie Davies posts today to f/book -

With less than six months to go, I thought I'd share my choice of book cover for my upcoming Retrospective at the National Museum of Wales in Cardiff. The show runs from May till September. The book will be available at the same time, it contains 50 photographs, together with anecdotes, utterances, and remembrances of times and days gone by. The cover was designed by my dear friend, the late, great, Barney Bubbles, it features another old chum on the front. The show, which has taken me three years to produce, is dedicated to the memory of Barney, my parents, and all the others lost in the Battle for Rock and Roll.

This card was given out at Chalkie's exhibition in London last March

There's nothing on the museum's website yet about the show. Put 'Chalkie' into the search engine there and you get a link to this sound link , clearly in development http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/4352/
Man out of Time

Re: Chalkie Davies photo exhibition, Wales, May 2015

Preview at VisitWales.com:

"Rock photo exhibition in Cardiff for 2015
National Museum

A new exhibition of images of famous rock artists from the 70s and 80s, by photographer Chalkie Davies will visit the National Museum Cardiff in a major exhibition next Summer.

"Chalkie Davies Photographer: The NME Years" will run from 3 May to 31 August 2015, and will feature photographic portraits of some of the biggest names in pop and rock, including David Bowie, The Specials, Thin Lizzy, David Bowie and Debbie Harry.

Originally from the town of Sully near Cardiff, Chalkie Davies who now lives in New York joined the NME as Staff Photographer in 1975. He worked there until 1979, where he shot numerous covers and features, as well as touring with Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello and Thin Lizzy for whom he shot the sleeve of Live and Dangerous.

Always wanting to be a studio photographer, he gave up touring in 1980 and moved permanently into the studio, specializing in black and white portraiture. He shot dozens of record covers for many artists including The Specials, The Pretenders, The Who, Pete Townshend, Elvis Costello, David Bowie, David Gilmour and Robert Plant.

Entry to National Museum Cardiff is free, thanks to the support of the Welsh Government."

EC plays St David's Hall, Cardiff on 25 June, so I would expect him to drop by Chalkie's exhibition on that day, or the morning after.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chalkie tells me the exhibition is now due to open on May 9th 2015, not May 3rd as previously planned.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/news/?article_id=885

(extract)

A new photography exhibition comes to Cardiff in 2015, Chalkie Davies - The NME Years (9 May – 6 September 2015) will be an exhibition of images of famous rock artists from the 70s and 80s by photographer Chalkie Davies.

Originally from the town of Sully near Cardiff, Chalkie Davies who now lives in New York joined the NME as Staff Photographer in 1975. He worked there until 1979, where he shot numerous covers and features, as well as touring with Paul McCartney, Elvis Costello and Thin Lizzy for whom he shot the sleeve of Live and Dangerous.

The book , by the way, will not be available in time for the exhibition. Chalkie & the organisers couldn't reach an agreement regarding aspects of the cover etc. Chalkie now hopes that the show will generate publicity and transfer to London & maybe then attract a publisher for the book.