Elvis & Imposters, Melbourne (AU), April 17, 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis & Imposters, Melbourne (AU), April 17, 2014

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/382 ... es-expense

Elvis Costello adds Melbourneshow at Adelaide's expense

Elvis Costello has made up for last night’s Adelaide cancellation by adding a show in … Melbourne.

The legendary singer and his Imposters – Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher – will now play at Hamer Hall on April 17 following “public outcry” that Australia’s second largest city was left off his touring schedule.

The Imposters were set to play Thebarton Theatre in Adelaide on April 17, but cancelled the show due to low ticket sales. To rub salt into the wound, Costello said opportunities to visit South Australia in the future would be few and far between. “We are sorry not to be visiting your fair city and state, as the opportunities to do so in the future may not be numerous,” read a statement on Facebook. “So long, it’s been good to know you.”

Costello toured Australia in early 2013, playing a run of winery shows and taking his “Spectacular Spinning Songbook” to theatres in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. “Elvis was in full Beloved Entertainer mode, introducing himself by his Blood & Chocolate -era nom de plume Napoleon Dynamite and welcoming each of the wheel-spinning audience members on stage with game-show host charm,” reported Andrew P Street from the Sydney show.

Costello’s show at the State Theatre in Sydney on April 23 will go ahead as planned, as will festival appearances at Deni Blues & Roots in Deniliquin and Bluesfest in Byron Bay. Thelma Plum will support the Melbourne show. Tickets go on sale on Thursday, February 6, 9am.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
thepopeofpop

Re: Elvis & Imposters, Melbourne (AU), April 17, 2014

Post by thepopeofpop »

What? No cheers of rejoicing from the Melbournites? :)

I don't know how much publicity the Adelaide show received - but the Sydney show was 90% sold out within a few hours - so I'm not sure what went wrong in Adelaide. I don't think the promoter only promoted in Sydney and forget about Adelaide.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Adelaide is a notoriously difficult market to sell tickets in. Artists and promoters will still sometime take the risk if it seems there is a particularly significant fanbase, a cultural kinship or just a keen demand. However, if these factors don't translate into ticket sales, it no longer remains viable to stage concerts there, especially with the added costs of transporting equipment and personnel.

I have no insight into this particular case, but those are the general challenges into promoting a show in Adelaide.
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

I believe Jeremys analysis is correct based on my 5 year residency in Adelaide.

In this particular instance I would say the publicity was par for the course and I note the point raised by the Pope of Pop that it was more than adequate for Sydney.

What may have been a telling factor here was that although EC has not performed in Adelaide for a "proper" theatre concert for some time he was here in Adelaide/South Australia in January 2013 for the Day on the Green Winery festival. So I was pleasantly surprised he was returning so soon. However that fact made the "risks" of a another performance in Adelaide too great ..........in hindsight !
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere
toofargone

Post by toofargone »

Hi all,
I guess this is my belated cheer of rejoicing as a Melbournite! I had moved on from the early disappointment on the initial tour announcements with no Melbourne Show and given that it was only 12m since I had last seen our man, decided against traveling interstate to see him this time. But now the excitement is building again. Just one hitch for me - try as hard as I might, I cannot seem to get the details of the presale password from Ticketmaster or Chugg (I have registered my favourites with both) for the presale Tues. 4th Feb. Wondering if anyone out there could be so kind as to divulge the presale password....................?
- tfg
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

toofargone wrote:Hi all,
I guess this is my belated cheer of rejoicing as a Melbournite! I had moved on from the early disappointment on the initial tour announcements with no Melbourne Show and given that it was only 12m since I had last seen our man, decided against traveling interstate to see him this time. But now the excitement is building again. Just one hitch for me - try as hard as I might, I cannot seem to get the details of the presale password from Ticketmaster or Chugg (I have registered my favourites with both) for the presale Tues. 4th Feb. Wondering if anyone out there could be so kind as to divulge the presale password....................?
- tfg
TFG
Have you tried " Spinning " ( just a guess though ) as that was the pre sale password for the cancelled Adelaide concert. Let me know how you go as I may need same priority access once I have determined if I can go to Melbourne. I cant even get to the link/postion to use such a password at the moment !!
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Son and I are going to this one.

Got row P Stalls once decison to travel had been made. Whilst not front row as we had in Adelaide its still a lot better than nothing.

Just when was the last EC concert cancelled due to poor ticket sales ? A very infrequent occasion I would imagine. Adelaide hang you head in shame !
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Is there anyone here going to this ?

Reason being I purchased my tickets on February 8th and they were according to the booking confirmation due to despatched with 2 working days. So far nothing received in the post. Anybody else experiencing the same. Have sent today a query to the ticket agency "help desk" and await their reply.

After the Adelaide fiasco I am somewhat nervous as you can imagine although at last look the tickets are going reasonably well.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Fingers crossed for you and your son this time, Heats ! :wink:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Fingers crossed for you and your son this time, Heats ! :wink:
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

sulky lad wrote:Fingers crossed for you and your son this time, Heats ! :wink:
Thanks Sulky.
Appears the tickets are lost as they were despatched on the day of purchase and thats over 3 weeks ago. My only alternative now is to collect replacements at the venue on the night.

At least it will ensure that I get there nice and early.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Appears the tickets are lost as they were dispatched on the day of purchase and that's over 3 weeks ago. My only alternative now is to collect replacements at the venue on the night.
:roll:

Not exactly been the luckiest attempt to see EC, has it !! I really hope that the show is spectaculalry good for you Heats ! :D
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

We know of Heats valiant efforts to go to this - is anyone else here going?
aussiedave

Post by aussiedave »

Me and Mark Schnitzius will be there.
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

johnfoyle wrote:We know of Heats valiant efforts to go to this - is anyone else here going?
Apparently a friend of a friend of a friend is now going to this.Through myself he has learnt of the concerts exhistence. He was going to Melbourne for Easter anyway and is now taking in Elvis aswell.
The irony is that the person concerned is from Adelaide but was not aware of the original Adelaide date (cancelled and subsequently replaced by this one) :roll:
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Your friend may be interested to know that Deni Blues and Roots Festival is but a few short hours drive from Melbourne.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Hi Jeremy :P
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Bag packed in preparation for tomorrows interstate trip. :D
Hoping for numerous Wise Up Ghost performances for myself and son; as he has warmed appreciably more towards EC since this record. How many and which ones can we expect ?
Best attempt at set list and review will follow of course once back in Adelaide the following day.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Thelma Plum: https://twitter.com/ThelmaPlum
Pre gig mirror selfie before I head on stage supporting Elvis Costello. @ Hamer Hall http://instagram.com/p/m4uGP1DQoD/
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

A setlist is on setlist.fm but I'm wary of posting it here considering the mistake with the Fremantle setlist posted there earlier this week.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-cos ... 3f352.html
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Azmuda wrote:A setlist is on setlist.fm but I'm wary of posting it here considering the mistake with the Fremantle setlist posted there earlier this week.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-cos ... 3f352.html
A nearly identical setlist appears at noise11.com. (The one difference is it omits "Walk Us Uptown" from the medley with "Watching The Detectives".)

01. Brilliant Mistake
02. Blue Chair
03. 45
04. Man Out Of Time
05. Everyday I Write The Book
06. Watch Your Step
07. Stations Of The Cross
08. Suit Of Lights
09. Ascension Day
10. Come The Meantimes
11. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
12. Blame It On Cain
13. Quiet About It
14. Payday
15. Monkey To Man
16. Watching The Detectives / Walk Us Uptown
Encore 1
17. Shipbuilding
18. Oliver's Army
19. Alison
20. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
21. Sugar Won't Work
22. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
23. Beyond Belief
24. If I Could Believe
Encore 2
25. Pump It Up
26. I Want You
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

I.T. issues. Review to follow.......
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://musicfeeds.com.au/gig/elvis-cost ... ne-170414/

Elvis Costello And The Imposters – Hamer Hall, Melbourne 17/04/14

There was nothing unexpected when Elvis Costello emerged onstage with his back-up band The Imposters. As are his traditional wares these days, he sported a fedora, black-rimmed spectacles and a pinstriped suit, with a guitar latched over his shoulder. Without any hubbub or banter, he launched into his first song, Brilliant Mistake.

Appropriately titled, Brilliant Mistake kicked the affair off with a fizzle, followed by nine more songs that were unfortunately lacklustre, with only a handful receiving a smattering of recognition applause from the crowd – Man Out of Time, Everyday I Write the Book. The songs were taken mostly from his late ’80s to present-day catalogue, and the performance had thus far seemed more an exercise in Costello showing off his expertise in tackling a range of genres than anything else.

Despite the poor start, Costello still had showmanship in spades. It was even on display during the first ten songs, with the icon tilting his hat and smiling at the audience at the end of Man Out Of Time, his arm chopping down to kick back the rhythm section during Watch Your Step, and his folk singer-like posture — guitar-head lifted high, bent at one knee — during Suit Of Lights.

For a man who knows his way around lyrics, even hailed a troubadour, he only made slight chitchat during one stretch early on in the night. Banter about Easter miracles and songs about feast days reached a high when Costello playfully lashed out at a song request — “You were speaking that fucking Australian accent!” — and music taste in Melbourne — “Because you like that Brazilian music in Melbourne” — before launching into Come The Meantimes.

The show found some rocking traction with Deep Dark Truthful Mirror followed by Blame It On Cain. Both songs found a fuller sound missing from a few of the earlier cuts, before Costello took his foot off the accelerator and paid his respects to the late Jesse Winchester with a couple of covers.

Later on it was Watching The Detectives, a ska-infused track from his first record. Kicking things off with the sound of a klaxon, Costello flexed his guitar chops by venturing into an alt-rock guitar solo, distorting his part and looping it over himself like magic. The song garnered the biggest audience response of the evening, as the band walked offstage for some reason.

Costello and the Imposters quickly returned for the second part of the show, which was packed to the brim with hits and few complaints. Shipbuilding followed by Oliver’s Army saw the first set of punters spontaneously jumping out from their seats to dance. Alison got its dues, while (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea was extended with a bluesy, Hendrix-esque guitar solo.

The audience got into it at this point, prodded and lightly encouraged to clap along by Costello. By the end of (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love And Understanding, every seat was empty, with everyone standing and boogying in that dad-and-mum fashion. Unfortunately, Costello didn’t capitalise on the momentum, lagging into two snoozy tunes.

Offstage and quickly back on again, it was time for the real encore. Pump It Up began and for the first time in the two-hour show, age seemed to have taken its toll on Costello, who could barely spit out the verses in time. There was none of the late-’70s Costello swagger, and the tune sounded chintzy in execution. The show ended slow and in underwhelming fashion, a bit too schmaltzy and not upbeat enough.

But so what? When you’re witnessing an act whose career spans almost forty years and thirty albums, the show becomes more and more about how the man is still, and always has been, a legend – even though all those years may be of detriment to the show.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Firstly I can confirm the Noise 11 set list is an accurate record.
Overall I thought it was a fine performance with plenty to satisfy all. For myself there was enough variety in the first half to meet my discerning tastes but importantly the second half, particularly the first encore with its greatest hits blitz, met my debutant son's aspirations and perhaps the majority of the Hamer Hall's more casual fans. Being used to the thrash of the usual four song opening salvo (a la Songbook shows) the first few songs were a welcome change. Elvis themed songs 7, 8 and 9 as his contribution to the Easter Parade. He was generally muted in between songs apart from his tribute to Jessie Winchester which was warmly appreciated by the audience.
Highlights for me were Blame It On Cain (can't remember when I last heard that live) the tracks from Wise Up Ghost, especially the gusto performance of If I Could Believe, and finally Beyond Belief, a favourite of mine, but seemingly always better live than on record.
Lowlights were the over officious stewards who did not tolerate standing/dancing until the very end and the rant of Walk Us Uptown over the feedback of Watching the Detectives which surely merits a stand alone version. I think the concert went on longer than planned based on the advertised times and Steve Nieve being perplexed on a couple of songs. The audience eventually got into the spirit of the evening, demanding more, with Elvis mischievously retorting that they "don't know any more songs". Also it was good for him to finish with 'I Want You' again, as in the past.
A final and most important note -my son enjoyed his first EC experience and interestingly his favourite song of the night was Deep Dark Truthful Mirror which he has never heard before.