Elvis & the Roots, Port Chester (NY), March 12, 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis & the Roots, Port Chester (NY), March 12, 2014

Post by And No Coffee Table »

SoulForHire wrote:It's great to see him do the intro to I Want You like he did at the Brooklyn Bowl. I wonder what about playing with the Roots causes him to play the intro?
It's probably Questlove's idea. He announced his plan to "put my spin on a 20-minute version of 'I Want You'" prior to their first show.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

From Rollingstone.com's Hottest Live Photos:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictu ... 4-20140102

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
SoulForHire wrote:It's great to see him do the intro to I Want You like he did at the Brooklyn Bowl. I wonder what about playing with the Roots causes him to play the intro?
It's probably Questlove's idea. He announced his plan to "put my spin on a 20-minute version of 'I Want You'" prior to their first show.
This quote from Quest caught my eye:

I’ve got four separate song lists, and I guess by October or November we’ll start doing heavy rehearsals for our dream show.

Will he break out one of those 3 other song lists for the Vegas shows?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

supplydavid wrote:I did not make the Brooklyn show but travelled from Florida for this and was disappointed . Sound was poor upstairs and the audience particularly in the VIP seats not interested, at least one of the couples needed to get a room. I think Steve was in the upper VIP seats to the right of the stage . I went downstairs for the later songs and it was much better. Still would be great to get an audio of it however to keep the collection intact.

The venue was great however.
The YouTube videoclips do not disappoint: "I Want You" and "Wise Up Ghost" are great.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I've been surprised to see folks registering disappointment about this show. I thought it was great. I suspect those who were at the stage lip in Brooklyn may have found seats in the loge a comedown, but I missed that one and found Wednesday really enjoyable. It started off slow for me; the "remix" of Come the Meantimes didn't work, I thought EC's voice was a little rough at first. Plus I had a guy next to me texting or something with his damn phone light shining in my face. Thankfully, he left after 4 songs. After that the show really took off. Marisoul was great. It was a kick to watch the various members of the Roots do their thing. Most of the performances were really tight, and seemed tighter than videos I've seen of the prior gig.

Also want to mention I really like that Elvis didn't wear the hat. It bugs me sometimes when artists start wearing hats to cover baldness, just let it hang out, man! I was surprised to see that EC really doesn't look any different than he did in 2004-05. The way he has had those fedoras glued to his pate, I figured there must be no hairs left on top. But he looked the same as before! And with a hard edged sound like this, or the Imposters, it just looked more appropriate.

Dave
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Maybe now that the sun's out Elvis is hoping the sunshine will help his hair grow!

If there are more shows (a tour perhaps) then I think we'll see different songs.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Photo gallery at Relix.com. 11 images including this of the closing lineup:
SH_Elvis_Roots_600px_DSC07446_548_365_s.jpg
SH_Elvis_Roots_600px_DSC07446_548_365_s.jpg (188.83 KiB) Viewed 18604 times
MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:I've been surprised to see folks registering disappointment about this show. I thought it was great. I suspect those who were at the stage lip in Brooklyn may have found seats in the loge a comedown, but I missed that one and found Wednesday really enjoyable. It started off slow for me; the "remix" of Come the Meantimes didn't work, I thought EC's voice was a little rough at first. Plus I had a guy next to me texting or something with his damn phone light shining in my face. Thankfully, he left after 4 songs. After that the show really took off. Marisoul was great. It was a kick to watch the various members of the Roots do their thing. Most of the performances were really tight, and seemed tighter than videos I've seen of the prior gig.

Also want to mention I really like that Elvis didn't wear the hat. It bugs me sometimes when artists start wearing hats to cover baldness, just let it hang out, man! I was surprised to see that EC really doesn't look any different than he did in 2004-05. The way he has had those fedoras glued to his pate, I figured there must be no hairs left on top. But he looked the same as before! And with a hard edged sound like this, or the Imposters, it just looked more appropriate.

Dave
no elitist here Dave. first row loge is usually preferential than against the stage for me anyway. certainly the show was great, i merely said Brooklyn GREATER! i guess i was slightly disappointed that they did NOT delve deeper. also, i was VERY impressed with nearly EVERY song having a markedly different "feel" to it than six months ago when they played the songs closer to the LP takes. i agree whole heartedly with your "HAT" comments too. i thought he might have balded completely since 2009! and one more time, thanks for YOUR assistance in my "FREE" seat upgrade. DO NOT BUY EXTRA TICKETS NEXT TIME! best, benny
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

supplydavid wrote:I did not make the Brooklyn show but travelled from Florida for this and was disappointed . Sound was poor upstairs and the audience particularly in the VIP seats not interested, at least one of the couples needed to get a room. I think Steve was in the upper VIP seats to the right of the stage . I went downstairs for the later songs and it was much better. Still would be great to get an audio of it however to keep the collection intact.

The venue was great however.
meant to ask...Steve Nieve was spotted? anybody else view him? where was he seated? thanks, ba
docinwestchester

For those of us lucky enough to see both shows, this is a no brainer. Yes Dave, we were elbows-on-stage, a very small stage to boot, which made for amazing impact by proximity. The atmosphere was celebratory...new album to be released on iTunes at midnight...a free copy of the deluxe CD for all attending...an FM broadcast to be aired the next day. We could all see the VIP party that was going on prior to the start of the show in the small open space adjacent to the stage. The acoustics were excellent. The audience was respectful and well behaved...no idiot yahoos.

Port Chester had a totally different vibe. The nearly identical setlist was disappointing for me. This great group of musicians has a tremendous opportunity to more deeply explore EC's catalogue. Let's hope they will do so in the future. I thought they sounded less well rehearsed. Listen to Shabby Doll and I think you would agree that it sounded a bit...um...shabby. The overall sound from the PA was not great; definitely inferior acoustics. The audience was full of yahoos...mostly it seemed in the floor section, but they were annoying to me upstairs.

Overall, Port Chester was enjoyable. But it cannot hold the proverbial candle compared to Brooklyn.
hatman

Post by hatman »

The hats will return! :)
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Yes, Hatman, I think you're right....but maybe not till the solo tour!

Hey, I don't want anyone to think I was accusing anyone of being elitist who got to see both shows! I was trying to say what you went over, Doc, that the impact and excitement of that Brooklyn event couldn't be matched by Wednesday night's set. Impossible. And you are all correct about the yahoos in the crowd...I had one of them sitting next to me for the first four songs. And yes the sound was a bit muddy where I sat. But I thought the PERFORMANCE was great. It's only the second time they have played onstage together. Should we really expect them to rearrange the set already? They did replace one tune with another, and they threw in the PLU bit and Alison. I agree about Shabby Doll, it was dull...but that song has been dull for me since 1983. The first few songs were not cutting it for me, maybe cause of the idiot with the cell phone. But from Sugar Won't Work forward, I thought they were excellent. And there are little evolutions in the arrangements. EC's vocals seemed a little more assured this time, like he knew the words better. They put echo on some songs to good effect. Wise Up Ghost got very spacey as a result, and he didn't pick up the bullhorn...yay! They also used the echo to help with the vocal overlap on each "will you walk us upTOWWWN" before the next line...why they don't have some of the Roots sing that word and carry it over while Elvis goes forward, I don't know, but at least the echo allowed EC to take a breath before the next line, so it didn't sound so rushed. I Want You and Chelsea were TIGHT. Even the old standards, Pump and Alison, were nicely done, Alison played with a bit more punch and just a little faster than usual. (I know, boring old Alison...but I bet Questlove really wanted to play it.)

Not trying to argue with anybody, just want to express a positive opinion about the performance itself. It was great to see Elvis play with a totally different band, a different sound, eight songs from the new record. Call me an EC apologist if you must.

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

no apology needed Dave. i was not offended by either post of yours. naturally, seeing IT for the first time will always be special, doc and i in September...and you this week. thanks for mentioning the muddy acoustics. considering FIRST ROW LOGE, i was struggling to hear the vocals early on. similarly, i THINK my cassette suffers. doc how did it sound (is it sounding?? LOL) to you? of course they could have added a surprise or two to the set...but, they ARE a NEW band! and naturally, Q certainly wanted to play ALISON understandably. if i was on stage with him, i would want that too. dicks in the crowd not withstanding...it was a fine show and i would go next week if they returned AFTER Las Vegas! tonight & tomorrow will have us "old geezers" looking intently at the setlist. Vegas is sure to get an EC ROOTS debut: MY NEW HAUNT or something oblique perhaps. thanks for sharing your opinions gents and NEVER any malice in MY statements unless improperly portrayed with the type-written word over the internet sans vocal inflection.
Last edited by bronxapostle on Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
docinwestchester

Lots of good points there Dave. The Brooklyn night was special, mostly for the non-musical intangibles, so I'm probably biased.
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:doc how did it sound (is it sounding?? LOL) to you?
Not great, unfortunately. You'll hear for yourself soon.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Thanks guys...and I bet there WILL be some different numbers in Vegas, too. Wish I could go!

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:doc how did it sound (is it sounding?? LOL) to you?
Not great, unfortunately. You'll hear for yourself soon.
i had a feeling! hence, no rush to judgment on MY new machine. last Saturday night A.C. was funny too...felt "muted" upon hearing it in the hall that night AND listening in my car. but, there might be hope when i get this computer 100% functional again.
FAVEHOUR wrote:Thanks guys...and I bet there WILL be some different numbers in Vegas, too. Wish I could go!

Dave
you world traveller you! :lol: :lol: hope we get another show or 4 this year! preferably, IMPOSTERS and/or SOLO!
supplydavid

Post by supplydavid »

I believe Steve was in the VIP boxes , right side as you look to the stage. I did not get close but he came in part way thru the show and sat in the second group of box seats.
MistakenForLilies

Post by MistakenForLilies »

FAVEHOUR wrote: Not trying to argue with anybody, just want to express a positive opinion about the performance itself. It was great to see Elvis play with a totally different band, a different sound, eight songs from the new record. Call me an EC apologist if you must.
I agree with this! As someone who saw the Brooklyn footage but didn't go to the show, it was very exciting to get to see EC perform this setlist live with the Roots. I can see why it might not be quite as enjoyable for people who went to the Brooklyn Bowl, but I thought the Port Chester performance was pretty great, especially towards the latter half of the show when they had really hit their stride.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Is this video going to be uploaded onto Dime? If so, is there any ETA?
docinwestchester

SoulForHire wrote:Is this video going to be uploaded onto Dime? If so, is there any ETA?
Probably tonight.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

docinwestchester wrote:
SoulForHire wrote:Is this video going to be uploaded onto Dime? If so, is there any ETA?
Probably tonight.
Yay!!!! I will try to jump on it right away.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you know, as i sit here transferring this show from cassette (with DUAL INSPIRATION!) a) it sounded better than i thought i had captured it this night AND b) doc's displeasure with his own...i am left thinking anew about some of these takes. as someone lucky enough to have been there in Brooklyn in September, on this night in Port Chester, i immediately felt nearly EVERY song had a VERY different feel from September. now, as i transfer it...to hear the TRIPWIRE and CINCO MINUTOS i am tempted to pull out the WISE UP THOUGHT versions, though i know i did that already. what i'm driving at is, please when you hear this recording, tell me what you think of these takes. i guess there may have been "other" remixes that did NOT see the light of day upon the 10"...perhaps that is where they arrive at playing these songs so markedly different this night (and i imagine Vegas as well though i have not heard these shows.) just some more OCD EC ba babble. :lol: :lol: :lol:
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Absolutely cannot wait for another analog classic!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

SoulForHire wrote:Absolutely cannot wait for another analog classic!

8) 8) 8) i'm blushing!!! :oops: