EC/Imposters Caesars AC Sat, Mar 8 2014 09:00 P

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: EC/Imposters Caesars AC Sat, Mar 8 2014 09:00 P

Post by bronxapostle »

clarify please guys...I KNEW I HEARD CHOCOLATE in there...so what was performed 3-8-14????
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Thanks, Dave!
bronxapostle wrote:wasn't there a second DIFFERENT song with the same title that he played or released???
Yes... http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Point Of No Return (Bobby Womack song)
...but based on Dave's comments, it looks like the wiki has misidentified some performances of the Bobby Womack song as the Goffin/King song. (That'll be fixed soon.)
The lyrics Elvis sings are approximately:
Baby if the cake ain't missing
Why'd that icing get all over you
You're the biggest chocolate covered liar I ever saw
Was it good good good

Funny how much easier it is to make out the lyrics now that Dave has identified the song.
I can't find Bobby Womack's version online, but here it is by Jim Ford (who wrote it):
so, i indeed got pretty close with the lyric i had emailed you huh ANCT? and i guess burnout ba aint that bad after all remembering there were indeed TWO songs with this same title.
FAVEHOUR wrote:You know what, ANCT, I'm not sure about that Hamburg 1984 one now. Of course I can't find my notes on that show (there is a tape of it). Now I'm thinking it might have been the Georgie Fame version (Goffin/King).
But the 1983 performances are definitely the Womack one (or Jim Ford one). I got to see two of those live.
Not sure about the 2010, haven't heard it yet! But looking at the setlist, it looks like an add-on to Alison, so I bet it's the Womack.
And you are right about the lyrics I heard, thanks for quoting them for us!
Dave
but this aspect confuses me Dave....my 8-14-83 show was the GOFFIN KING one, since officially released and this one performed 3-8-14 the Bobby Womack title, correct???
Last edited by bronxapostle on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

No
Asbury Park 83 is the non-released one!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i always said that 1983 version bore no resemblance to the BABY PLAYS AROUND b-side. this is where the wiki needs amending, yes? so, the one done in A.P. '83 was this same one done two weeks ago in A.C. Dave?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Right. I think that Hamburg solo might be the only performance of the released one. i will verify later
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm not sure if I'm following this discussion correctly but Elvis sung Point of No Return (the released one on Baby Plays Around) at his solo show in Oxford in 2010.

That was a show that's full of fond memories for me. :D
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Right. I think that Hamburg solo might be the only performance of the released one. i will verify later
well Dave..thanks for the help! with ANCT etc. we will get this wiki dilemma rectified. so, i did pull my cassette (before MY days of bringing SONY) and verified this is indeed the Jim Ford version played FULLY that night after SHABBY DOLL....the same one he threw in at the end of EITHER SIDE in Atlantic City 3-8-14. while we are on the subject of this 8-14-83 Asbury Park show, i would like to state once again. STAND DOWN MARGARET is NOT played after BIG SISTERS CLOTHES in any way this show. so, i leave the rest to you Dave, verifying if the Goffin/King version released upon the b-side of BABY PLAYS AROUND was indeed only played live once or twice AND i leave ANCT the task of rectifying, as he so gloriously does, live performances of THIS version resurrected two weeks ago! i imagine it is perhaps as easy as the four versions played on the CLOCKING IN ACROSS AMERICA tour in 1983 are all this take and the other two in 1984 and 2010 are the "released" song of the same title???? thanks all. i guess i owe Davey Faragher that video you've put here also.
Last edited by bronxapostle on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I'm not sure if I'm following this discussion correctly but Elvis sung Point of No Return (the released one on Baby Plays Around) at his solo show in Oxford in 2010.

That was a show that's full of fond memories for me. :D
Cool! What a shame that show wasn't fully taped...but thanks for clearing that up. That was indeed a rarity!

Dave
verbal gymnastics

You're right. You should have seen mine and Sulky's faces!
krm

Post by krm »

I dug out the old tape from Hamburg 1984 and can verify that it is the released Goffin King version of Point of no Return that he performs there while playing keyboard.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

krm wrote:I dug out the old tape from Hamburg 1984 and can verify that it is the released Goffin King version of Point of no Return that he performs there while playing keyboard.

Thank you, KRM! Still haven't located my notebook, and digging that one out would've required major excavation.

So I think the way it stands now is that the Goffin/King was played in Hamburg 1984 and that Oxford show in 2013.

The rest of them are the Jim Ford song.

Agree, ANCT?

Dave
krm

Post by krm »

FAVEHOUR wrote:

Thank you, KRM! Still haven't located my notebook, and digging that one out would've required major excavation.
Excavation is the word! I had to dig out the old tapelist to see if I actually do have the tape, then locate the tape (took only 30min) and then connect the taperecorder to make it listenable. All in all, well worth the efforts and a nice way to start the Saturday. kjell
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

krm wrote:
FAVEHOUR wrote:

Excavation is the word! I had to dig out the old tapelist to see if I actually do have the tape, then locate the tape (took only 30min) and then connect the taperecorder to make it listenable. All in all, well worth the efforts and a nice way to start the Saturday. kjell
Thanks again!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Agree, ANCT?
Agree.

Thanks, krm!
verbal gymnastics

FAVEHOUR wrote:
krm wrote:So I think the way it stands now is that the Goffin/King was played in Hamburg 1984 and that Oxford show in 2013.

The rest of them are the Jim Ford song.
Just to clarify, it was Oxford 2010.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

regular LOVE FEST over this question boys, huh...except towards the guy who started it all. :evil:
just joshing, glad if the fragment played two weeks ago started it all and sorted it all out. surprised i recalled that the two song titles were something that troubled me years ago as when the single came out, i did not think it at all to be the song i saw in 1983. and thanks for taking STAND DOWN MARGARET off that Asbury setlist too ANCT! it did not belong there. okay guys...SAY IT! new recorder sounds pretty so-so if the one song up from ATLANTIC CITY is any indication, huh? hopefully, as i get my computer woes straightened out and transfer the way i ALWAYS do, i will be able to fix it a bit. wish me well, or time to go look for another SONY at ebay.
krm

Post by krm »

this triggers my OCD (obsessive costello disorder) in a positive way! Me like this a lot!!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

krm wrote:this triggers my OCD (obsessive costello disorder) in a positive way! Me like this a lot!!!
LOL glad to have a handful of company in THAT department! & thanks to SONY, we were able to decipher it no matter how shabby a recording! good work friends. may we do it again & again for many years to come. LOVE this stuff. now i can update my bookkeeping & perhaps resurrect MY seen live tally thread. :lol:
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

What ever happened to any of the recordings?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

my computer has been uncooperative, but i think i have a way around it now. however, family troubles this past ten days has kept me from it. listen, one more week or work and i am on Easter vacation for eleven days. therefore, you WILL see (HEAR!) this one before long; PROMISE!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

at last...transferring this one. sounds WORLDS BETTER than i thought! will try to get it to doc for a weekend upload. wait till you hear the Hendrix guitar on SUGAR WONT WORK and Steve riffing AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL ending AMERICAN GANGSTER TIME. a GREAT show.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

I've been looking forward to this one.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you'll love it Soul! were you one i had to mail it to? i hate the thought of burning and mailing many, but...whoever needs that from me (who does NOT dimeadozen!) LMK and i will get it out to you.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

Any chance we'll be able to download this outside of dime? My account is no longer good there (couldn't keep up my ratio). And I can't wait to hear this one!! It was such a good show!