Busker singing Elvis ?

Pretty self-explanatory
Goon Squad

Busker singing Elvis ?

Post by Goon Squad »

I'm hoping this doesn't get bumped into the "When you least expect it" thread as I think it is worthy of it's own place. ( but if it does , so be it )

On a trip to Barcelona in the summer I went to the famous Park Guell ( or Gaudi Park as it is often known) to see the wonders of it. There were many amazing sights and spectacular views but none more than the sight I saw at the top of the park. There is a peak which is up a very steep path which takes 20 minutes to reach, and at the top is a stone setting with a cross from where you can see all of Barcelona. As we approached the top I could hear the sound of someone singing, and when we got there I could see a busker sitting under the stone cross belting out a song with his guitar. I can't remember if it was Dylan or Simon and Garfunkel, but it was certainly a "traditional busker number" ! Anyway, as I got closer I saw that he was wearing an Elvis Costello shirt, so I went over to him. Before his next song I gave him a simple thumbs up, mentioned Elvis was my hero, and he said in his broken English how he had been to see the great man a few weeks earlier in Barcelona and was himself a big fan. I thought that was it, but then he said "listen".............and subsequently broke into a word perfect from start to finish rendition of Mystery Dance. At the end aswell as being highly impressed I was clapping like mad, only to look around at all the other tourists thinking " what is that guy on? ....and what the hell was was that song?". Anyway, I didn't care as it was quite an incredible moment, and it was the first time I had ever heard an Elvis song "busked" so I had to take a photo of him !

So, after garbling on for far too long, the question for all of you is a simple one................have you ever heard a busker singing an Elvis number , and if so what song and where?
Elvis busker.JPG
Elvis busker.JPG (101.45 KiB) Viewed 5639 times
Heats101

Re: Busker singing Elvis ?

Post by Heats101 »

As part of the off field entertainment at the Australian leg of the World Rugby Union 'Sevens" tournament I witnessed a rather tepid performance of (yes you guessed it ) Olivers Army sang in the style of the Pub Singer. In 2009 I think at the Adelaide Oval.
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I used to busk Elvis songs when I was a student in the late 80s! I specifically remember singing 'The Greatest Thing' in John Frost Square in Newport, Gwent - Christ knows what I was thinking!
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Neil. wrote:I used to busk Elvis songs when I was a student in the late 80s! I specifically remember singing 'The Greatest Thing' in John Frost Square in Newport, Gwent - Christ knows what I was thinking!
I'm impressed Neil ! Nice one !
So that now broadens the buskers question to include "anyone on here ever sung Elvis in public"?