Elvis plays Wilbur Theatre, Boston, MA. 17 Nov 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis plays Wilbur Theatre, Boston, MA. 17 Nov 2013

Post by Man out of Time »

Is anyone planning to attend this, Elvis' first, show at the Wilbur Theatre in Boston?

MOOT
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis plays Wilbur Theatre, Boston, MA. 17 Nov 2013

Post by bronxapostle »

i think "MR. ED" is going!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Wilburrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

apologies if this is A) an American joke or B) an over 50 joke!!!
macguffinman

Post by macguffinman »

This guy is going!
brilliantmistake

Post by brilliantmistake »

I'm going. The last of my front row tix for this tour.
TW12

Post by TW12 »

Anyone interested in buying a single seat for the Wilbur show?

I wasn't thrilled about the floor seat I got minutes after tickets went on sale, so I bought another single seat in the mezzanine and I'm selling the original ticket I bought. It's in the last row on the main floor (section SEC J, row 1, seat 1).

I'm not a scalper or ticket broker looking to make a profit, just asking for the same face value + the same Ticketmaster service change I paid, which is $89.

I'd like to avoid transacting business right outside of the venue before the show (Years back, I had a ticket I was trying to sell outside of a venue stolen by a couple of con men pretending to be cops), so ideally I'd like to meet the buyer somewhere in the Boston/Cambridge/Somerville/Brookline area on Saturday afternoon to exchange ticket and cash.

My e-mail address is tyrone_walden@yahoo.com Please contact me there if you're interested in buying the ticket.

***Ticket sold on 11/16.***
Last edited by TW12 on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

TW12

Post by TW12 »

A question for those who've already been to one or more shows on this tour.

Usually, when an artist performs without an opening act, they almost never take the stage at the start time listed on the ticket. It often seems to be a set number of minutes after the previously announced showtime, whether 15, 20, or 30 minutes after the listed start time.

So, is that holding true on the current tour? Is 7:30 start time always an actual 8 pm start, a listed 8 pm start always an 8:15 start, and so forth? Does there seem to be a fixed interval on this tour between listed time and actual showtime and what is it?

Thanks,
TW
migdd

Post by migdd »

Hopefully someone will chime in and answer your question as it relates directly to this tour. I will offer that from my experience with previous tours, both solo and with a band, Elvis is almost always very prompt about honoring start times.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

The Port Chester shows started at 8:20 on both nights. Ticket start time was 8:00.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

ALWAYS be on time for Elvis...Englewood was like 8:09, while Kingston was 8:12. you do not want to miss a thing. BE IN YOUR SEAT at show time.
TW12

Post by TW12 »

Thanks for the advice.

I have many memories of seeing Bruce and the E Street Band start exactly 30 or 45 min after the listed start time, and with a strangely early 7:30 start time for the Wilbur Show (at least, strange for a show with no opener), I can't help but wonder if he'll be starting later than 7:30.

TW
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

I have been to several shows...2 started @8:08, and 2 were 8:20 -- all we're 8:00pm tix...

I suggest be in your seat on time
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tom DiMarchi is doing a 'Bronxsapostle' in Boston & can hear High Fidelity being done in the soundcheck
docinwestchester

Melisa V. ‏@MissMeliMel00 19m
Checking out the the bossman Elvis Costello tonight in Boston. #soloshow #boston @ Wilbur Theatre http://instagram.com/p/g1hhCuSIOj/
Michael Cutillo ‏@jadedturtle 4m
Photo: Last boat leaving (at Wilbur Theatre) http://tmblr.co/ZFEZUv_iUmF_
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

johnfoyle wrote:Image
Tom DiMarchi is doing a 'Bronxsapostle' in Boston & can hear High Fidelity being done in the soundcheck

yeah....but is he TAPING it????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

A few seconds of "Shipbuilding": http://vine.co/v/htFmqTluxaa
docinwestchester

The Wilbur ‏@The_Wilbur 1m
#ElvisCostello #Solo #TheWilbur #Boston #SoldOut http://instagram.com/p/g1wAzXxIcF/
History Repeats

Set List

On Stage 7:38 (7:30 show time)
- King Horse
- Either Side of the Same Town
- Motel Matches (with story about coming to hotels in america in the erly days)
- Clubland
- American Without Tears (with stroy)
- Veronica
- Last Boat Leaving
- New Amsterdam>You've Got To Hide Your Love
Seated
- Walking my baby back home ("tonight's it's all about love")
- Ghost Train (playing iwht his dad story)
- Beyond Belief
- Voice in the Dark
- Church Underground
- Detectives
- Deportee
Encore
- Man Out of Time
- Shipbuilding (keyboard)
- Fallen
- Cinco Munots Con Vos
Encore
- Alison
- Josephine
- Jimmy w Brother Do You Have a Dime
Encore
- Radio Soul (with story)
- Tripwire>PLU
- Puppet Has Cut His Strings (keyboard)

Off Stage: 9:55

Excellnet show...in very good voice, humor and performance
History Repeats

to claify--Voice in the Dark was the last seated sone---he was standing for Church
macguffinman

Post by macguffinman »

"Excellent" show? My God, it was epic. I am stunned.
TW12

Post by TW12 »

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I've got a friend who never checks setlists online before seeing an artist on tour, because she doesn't want to know what she's going to hear. I now know I shouldn't have checked the tour setlists because I wish I didn't know what I wasn't going to hear.

Yes, it was a fine performance, but as someone whose three favorite EC albums are KoA, B&C, & ATUB, I was amazed at how deeply he's delved into those albums on this tour so far and so disappointed that the only song performed from those albums tonight was American Without Tears.

Strangely, this set seemed to be heavier on old warhorses which have been live staples over the years than some other tour stops. You'd think that when playing one of the few dates on the tour in a city where he's played many times, he'd go even further off the beaten path. Save Veronica, 45, Detectives, etc. for the dates in the boonies where there are bound to be fewer fans who've seen him in double digits and more fans seeing him (and hearing the "hits" live) for the first time.

I would have gladly traded this setlist for Burlington or New Haven (or any previous stop...even Ithaca, which was pretty similar to this setlist, but had Our Little Angel and Blue Chair).

I enjoyed the show, but had I not known what other cities got, I probably would have enjoyed it more.
macguffinman

Post by macguffinman »

I'll give you "Detectives", although it was a cool version, but when did 45 and Veronica become "live staples over the years"? I've seen EC between 35-40 times, mostly here in the Boston area, and I've heard 2 live performances of 45, probably no more than 3 or 4 Veronicas.

And I didn't hear this show as a simple succession of songs. It was like a song cycle about family and the connections between generations, and, as such, Veronica and 45 were integral pieces. Some boneheads a couple of rows behind me kept shouting for Girls Talk and Psycho. After the first couple of times, I got the impression that they were missing the incredible performance that WAS taking place.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I must admit, this setlist didn't give me the same WOW factor as other shows. I'd still loved to have been there though!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Must be something that just happens when he goes to Boston- it seems when he plays there the set lists are less than inspiring- the same happened two years ago with the Spinning show that came through the Wang Theater. Too many repeats in the spins and that twenty plus minute marriage proposal that just ate up performance time.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
TW12

Post by TW12 »

macguffinman wrote:I'll give you "Detectives", although it was a cool version, but when did 45 and Veronica become "live staples over the years"? I've seen EC between 35-40 times, mostly here in the Boston area, and I've heard 2 live performances of 45, probably no more than 3 or 4 Veronicas.

And I didn't hear this show as a simple succession of songs. It was like a song cycle about family and the connections between generations, and, as such, Veronica and 45 were integral pieces. Some boneheads a couple of rows behind me kept shouting for Girls Talk and Psycho. After the first couple of times, I got the impression that they were missing the incredible performance that WAS taking place.
I see your point about the show being a song cycle about family and the connections between generations, although that accounts for only half of the setlist, give or take. I just wish we would have gotten the song cycle about obsessive sexual desire and romantic disconnection.