ELVIS plays UPAC Kingston, NY 11-14

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

ELVIS plays UPAC Kingston, NY 11-14

Post by bronxapostle »

who's going? (sorry King Foyle!) besides me and Donald (BBBB guiatrist!) that is. my Artist Arena tix landed today. ROAD TRIP!
johnfoyle

Re: ELVIS plays UPAC Kingston, NY 11-14

Post by johnfoyle »

:D :lol:
brilliantmistake

Post by brilliantmistake »

I'm going. My tix came the other day. Front row!!! Can't wait.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

exskiman

Post by exskiman »

I'm going to his last show of the tour but seeing as tickets are still available I'm sort of tempted to go to this one as well but my biggest problem is actually getting there.

I'm not sure if I'll go yet but anyone per chance heading up from or passing through the Arlington/Poughkeepsie area to the Kingston concert and wouldn't mind potentially taking me along with them?

If I do go I can definitely chip in for gas or whatever else I just imagine the taxi prices would be fairly horrid and I'm not on the largest disposable income in the world.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sorry...i'm slap happy. ill post thursday when home. :lol: :lol: :lol:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

does this show benefit wildly as the ONLY one that is not part of three in a row? this is the only date with a night off before and TWO after! at this point, whatever i get i will be well pleased as it looks to be my last this tour AND i will be EXTRA ecstatic if SONY is working fine. :lol: :lol:
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Seems like the dude needs a day off. Mid-week day off is always the best, at least that's how I've always felt being a full-time desk jockey for many, many years now. He could be accommodating his family schedule, too. He probably feels like he is going to the salt mines at times.. Just like every other schmuck that has to work to pay to live/pay bills, etc.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Radio Woodstock 100.1 WDST

Gattine sitting down with@Elvis Elvis Costello at Levon Helm Studios before his solo show at Ulster Performing Arts Center in Kingston tonight. Tune into Live @ 5 to hear the interview!

Listen here -

http://www.radiowoodstock.com/audio-on- ... 2686132510

38 minutes.

Listening now. Elvis is talking about '77 and using exactly the same words at the documentary ' Robert Plant , shirt open to the navel..' etc. Good interview - the interviewer is just letting Elvis go on.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

It's Gattine- my former morning man on the radio. Lovely photo. :)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis said , at about 30 mins, that he and Burt B. are working on a 'big musical project' as well as the Broadway take on PFM.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle wrote:Elvis said , at about 30 mins, that he and Burt B. are working on a 'big musical project' as well as the Broadway take on PFM.
It seems that the Austin Powers musical is still on.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Elvis Costello just dedicated Radio, Radio to me. http://ow.ly/i/3Jmoy
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

oh the stories i can tell.....tomorrow!!

mistake
complicated
atoms
HEATHEN TOWN
watson
useless beauty
hoover
olivers
shipb
walkin baby
poison
beyond b
detectives
church
distorted (with a spoken intro including something i told him at 4:30)
CONDEMNED MAN
w> I PUT A SPELL ON YOU (small tidbit)
ddt mirror

sulphur
slow drag
veronica
jimmie
brother

IF I COULD BELIEVE
alison
caravan
r soul
tripw
plu (trippy)

soundcheck included:
how deep
RED COTTON
before we were chased from side door....
even upon setlist as a duo, but not played
ALL THE RAGE listed too...can't read it fully from my photo

now that i enlarged my upside down/obscured photo a bit, i am able to decipher a few more unplayed: drum & bone, SONG WITH ROSE, comic, red shoes, dirty rotten, for stars and COULDNT CALL IT UNEXPECTED
SONY did it again...SOUNDS GREAT! SONY LIVES! analog forever.
Last edited by bronxapostle on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos - Carol Rousseau
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

The ULSTER Performing Arts Centre? Oh my...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

amazing stat of the night! last night included the 650th different song i have seen ELVIS perform LIVE before my eyes. for my next trick (a/k/a LIST). i vow by Christmas to have a thread for you to behold the list of songs. my friend was goofing on me yesterday, saying: "your next list, should be a list of lists."
we saw E departing his bus as it pulled backstage approximately 4:30. naturally, i called and he, as always, graciously stopped. was wearing a BIG hoodie winter coat with a brimmed hat beneath that. therefore, NO great photo opportunity. i asked for him to sign my "book" at the very top of the page 110 that will include last nights songs. he was pleased/impressed to hear it was 110! i then, as almost always, say something annoying/shocking yet in a friendly manner to him. i say "what's the matter, you look sad?" he seemed mildly bewildered by my statement. i surmise it was simply that he had just awoken from the bus ride to upstate from NYC. i further went on to say that i had missed one of my favorites performed the second night in Port Chester: IN ANOTHER ROOM! his response was "obviously, i'm NOT unhappy enough ( IMPLIED > to perform the song.)" hence, HE GOT IT BACKWARDS despite it being his usual witty type of retort. :lol: :lol:
we then heard him soundchecking HOW DEEP IS THE RED>RED COTTON for about fifteen minutes before we got the bums rush by stage manager dude. sadly, he soundchecked at least another twenty minutes. too bad we got chased. and imagine: SONY actually makes even THIS recording sound decent enough to share, even though behind closed doors in the parking lot. i will tack it on at the back end of the recording for posterity sake.
so, his intro before DISTORTED ANGEL went something like this. "I WAS A CATHOLIC ALTAR BOY, BECAUSE I HAD A SAD FACE!" me and Don looked at each other LAUGHING!!! :lol: :lol:
Last edited by bronxapostle on Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Great stuff ba.

Great to know that All the Rage is on the radar. Nothing is going to top the trio of me asking him to play it on Wednesday after the Southend gig; Elvis playing it 2 gigs later and then patting me on the shoulder and saying "No problem" when I thanked him for playing it on the last night of the tour. Best moments ever for me.

I have never totted up the number of different Elvis songs I've heard him play - there's a few but nowhere near your number. I am in awe.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Seth Rogovoy at http://rogovoyreport.com/2013/11/15/elv ... ac-review/

"Elvis Costello Triumphs Over Himself at UPAC
November 15, 2013

(KINGSTON, N.Y., November 14, 2013) – Elvis Costello sure doesn’t make it easy for himself. He writes impossibly twisted and complicated melodies that plunge and swoop and go to unexpected places. He writes impossibly complicated lyrics to match – crowded with multisyllabic words that have to pour out of the singer’s mouth like honey lest they crash into one another. He jumps styles like hopscotch – country, jazz, rockabilly, classic pop, Beatlesque pop, swing, Latin, big-band, operetta, folk, music hall, blues, reggae, soul, folk, Irish, New Orleans — blending them in unprecedented ways.

When it works – when it all falls together mellifluously, as it did on numbers like “All This Useless Beauty” and “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror” on Thursday night at the Ulster Performing Arts Center (UPAC) – it’s a thrill to behold, a moment of transcendence, really. And there were several of those moments, as Costello took his audience singlehandedly through a walk through his considerable body of work, touching on greatest hits such as “Watching the Detectives” and “Alison” through deep catalog material for hardcore fans, with even a few old Tin Pan Alley tunes, including a few phrases from “Brother Can You Spare a Dime,” vocalized gloriously off mic into the old theater.

Although he has a terrific new album out which he recorded with funk group the Roots, this was a solo show, mostly acoustic, featuring songs from throughout Costello’s 40 year career. Highlights of the performance included a version of “Radio Radio,” sung with the original lyrics, in an arrangement that more overtly nodded to its twin inspirations: Bruce Springsteen and Van Morrison. Costello lovingly introduced his hit song “Veronica” – which he co-wrote with Paul McCartney — as a tribute to his grandmother that also would have made mincemeat of a lesser vocalist, and was a gracious entertainer, peppering his tunes with stories from his life, especially about his family – he comes from several generations of entertainers, and it’s really the family business that he’s all about.

He joked about wanting to open the show in Kingston with “Trenchtown Rock” – a tribute to another musical hero, Bob Marley – until he realized it was the other Kingston he was in. He offered a selection of film-noir-influenced numbers — including, obviously, “Watching the Detectives,” which saw him playing some pretty slick guitar loops heavy on the reverb – and then veered off into his “religious” work, in what he described overall as a “gospel show.”

He worked hard – playing for over two hours straight – and the audience kept him onstage for two lengthy encores. Elvis Costello may never have become a huge star – he topped out as a theater performer, although he did do a few summer-shed co-bills (I recall seeing him at SPAC) – but there are few if any as talented and as highly respected for both their art and craft by both fans and fellow musicians.

And yes, he still seems pretty angry."

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

transferring from analog NOW. sounds beauty! will get it to doc tomorrow hopefully for sharing purposes.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

BA asked me to transfer his photos from f/book-

Last edited by johnfoyle on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

YIKES!!!!!!!!!! didn't need BOTH pics of the "three homeless men", let alone ONE! LOL thanks...now the EC world will spot ba EVERYWHERE! :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Fixed - sorry!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

no...don't be sorry! they're on fbook anyway. please put one or both back. the world deserves to see of what we speak here. best, benny
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

From ba with love: