Re: Elvis plays Philadelphia, Nov. 10 '13

Post by johnfoyle »

Photo Brian Samelson
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Me!

Dave
YAY...full setlist before i go to sleep PLEASE! and a ticket stub too. :lol: :lol:
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Not neccessarily in order

Jack
Mouth
Either Side
Motel
Rocking horse rd
Hope youre happy
Home truth
Indoor
Walking my baby
Toledo
Accidents
After the fall
Blue chair
Detectives
Green shirt
Alison
Cinco minutos
High fidelity
Just a memory
Almost blue
The flirting kind!!
Josephine
Jimmie
I want you
Radio soul
Tripwire/PLU

Hope I didnt forget any...

Dave
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Oh yeah,

Heart shaped bruise
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hate to moan...but, HE COULDN'T HOLD THE FLIRTING KIND OFF FOR ONE MORE NIGHT???? :twisted: :twisted:
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

FAVEHOUR wrote:Hope I didnt forget any...
There's a mention of "Mr. Feathers" on Twitter. Can you confirm?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Yes! Mr feathers was in the first half

Dave
cwr

Post by cwr »

HOME TRUTH and THE FLIRTING KIND were two that I never thought he'd ever play again, ever.

They were both on my wish list! I'm just glad he played 'em, even if it means there's only a slight chance they'll appear again on Tuesday when I see him. I can't complain, I'm sure each show from here on out is gonna be special...
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Also, a seemingly impromptu version of Indoor Fireworks just as he sat down and asked, "What shall I play you?"
Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Yes, Indoor Fireworks did seem to be a request.

I wasn't "prepared" for his constant "reading" of lyrics from the teleprompters. Yes, I realize these were deep cuts, and I've been watching Springsteen do this for years, but still, just a tad disappointing.

PLEASE-leave your "toys" at home, meaning smart phones and such. So distracting and rude.

Of course, if you are stealth-taping, that's another story. LOL
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

The teleprompters didn't bother me as much, because, like you said, a lot of these were deep cuts, and he still made it sound like he wasn't reading from them.

Speaking of smart phones and toys (I saw somebody taking a picture with his iPad! oh my), at the same venue two weeks prior, I saw Fiona Apple (another amazing artist who you never know what she will play), and four braying jackasses were down the row from me, with their phones on full brightness and showing each other pictures on Instagram. In between songs, during loud applause, I stood up and shouted at them, "Turn your fucking phones off!" Why bother paying $75 for a seat if you're not even going to give the artist the respect they deserve? Just stay home and let someone else buy those great seats instead.

It was great seeing him in such a relaxed mood, though. He was really having a ball, and while I was a bit disappointed there were only two cuts from Wise Up Ghost and National Ransom, some of the obscurities he pulled out of that dapper hat of his were terrific: Mr Feathers, Mouth Almighty, The Flirting Kind, Just a Memory, Rocking Horse Road, and so on and so forth. (What was the request he obliged by after he turned on the 'request' sign? Some bonehead in front of me kept shouting for Alison, and I wanted to say, he's obviously going to play it, why would you waste a perfectly good request on that?)

Overall, having seen him six times since May 2007, this was hands down the best of his shows I've ever seen. That army of guitars and pedals was astounding, and some of his guitar work, messy as it may have been, was inspired.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://citypaper.net/article.php?Concer ... 1-10-16851

Concert Review and Photos: Elvis Costello @ Merriam Theater 11/10

By Chris Sikich

Elvis Costello mentioned early on in his Merriam Theater solo show Sunday that he was going to singing about love and its flipside, deceit. Over a span of more than two dozen songs, including two encores, Costello mapped out his many journeys to the center of the heart and its betrayal in his 37-year career and gave the rapt audience a master class in songwriting and guitar-work.

With five guitars and a keyboard at his disposal, Costello briskly maneuvered through his catalog with creative interpretations and surprises. He opened with “Jack of All Parades,” a song from 1986’s King of America that he’d previously performed only 14 times. And without a backing band, he frequently looped his guitar as layering to complement his live guitar, which worked to great effect on “Watching the Detectives” and “I Want You.” In the former, he brought a fresh pacing and the blare of a police siren, while the latter featured a virtuoso electric guitar flourish that still pulses through this critic’s ears.

Costello barely had to suggest the audience to call out their requests, as they were coming left and right. As he took a requested detour in the set, as he indicated by activating a detour light, he sat down and let loose a glorious rendition of “Indoor Fireworks.” The crowd was also quite game to provide a lovely chorus of “I knows” for “Accidents Will Happen.”

The night closed with Costello playing “Tripwire” from his recent collaboration with The Roots, Wise Up Ghost, that slid right into a surprisingly understated “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding?” Yet another standing ovation sent Costello and the crowd off into the November chill, their love affair still intact.

From slideshow:

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Matt on Facebook has the setlist in order:

Jack of All Parades
Mouth Almighty
Either Side of the Same Town
Motel Matches
Mr. Feathers
Rocking Horse Road/Wild Thing
I Hope You're Happy Now
The Home Truth
Accidents Will Happen
Indoor Fireworks (seated)
Walking My Baby back Home (seated)
Toledo (seated)
Blue Chair
Green Shirt (electric)
Heart Shaped Bruise (electric)
Watching the Detectives (electric)
After the Fall
Five Minutes with You?/High Fidelity
Alison

Encore:
Just a Memory (piano)
Almost Blue (piano)
The Flirting Kind (piano)
I Want You (electric)

Encore 2:
Slow Drag with Josephine
Jimmie Standing in the Rain
Radio Soul (electric)
Tripwire/PLU
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Just A Memory,by the way, was the original version, without the added verse put in for Dusty Springfield. It''s short that way, but I've always preferred it over the expanded one.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainm ... ed-in.html

Elvis Costello, both stripped-down and plugged-in

Sam Adams, For The Inquirer

Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013, 3:01 AM

'I'd like to introduce my special guest for this evening," Elvis Costello said to the audience at the Merriam Theater Sunday night. "It's me."

Indeed, there was not another soul to be found on the Merriam stage, although Costello was kept company by a semicircle of guitars, a keyboard and a few light-up signs: At stage right, one reading "On Air" that played into a bit of stage banter about the show being broadcast in the Faroe Islands, a "Request" sign repurposed from the Spinning Songbook tour, and a one-way sign reading "Detour" that was meant to signal a departure from the evening's announced theme: "Love, and the flip side of that record: deceit and shame."

In truth, the evening's departures were many, if not from Costello's pet subjects, which he once more pithily summed up as "revenge and guilt," then at least from his usual onstage repertoire. Opening with "Jack of All Parades," a rarely performed number from his 1986 high-water mark King of America, Costello proceeded to such relative obscurities as "Mouth Almighty" (1983's Punch the Clock), "Mr. Feathers" (2008's Momofuku), and "Home Truth," from 1984's Goodbye Cruel World, which Costello has labeled the worst album of his career.

The stripped-down format can be a great way to reclaim songs once buried in dated production - see Neil Young's Unplugged renditions of songs from his synth-heavy Trans - but in spite of highlights like the melancholy "Rocking Horse Road" and a wistful "After the Fall," the concert's first half lagged as Costello unveiled one midtempo acoustic guitar number after another. The songs needed more varied accompaniment, either from a band or a more inventive guitar player to distinguish one from the next.

But when Costello plugged in, setting up a gnarly electric-guitar loop for "Watching the Detectives," the concert got a much-needed shot of adrenaline that carried all the way through the end of the second encore. "I Want You" found Costello raging against a hail of distorted noise, and even the acoustic "A Slow Drag With Josephine" and "Jimmie Standing in the Rain" were pushed forward by some brisk plucking of strings. The embryonic version of "Radio Radio" he's revived for this tour (known as "Radio Soul" on the set list) was more of a curiosity than a revelation, but the vintage B-side "The Flirting Kind" - which, according to Costello's obsessive, detailed Wiki, he'd never performed on stage before - definitely earned its singular moment in the sun.

Perhaps Costello didn't have company, but he's changed gears often enough in his career that it felt like there were many of him on stage, some more welcome than others.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Any recording yet?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

johnfoyle wrote:Any recording yet?
There is one coming soon on Dime. Taper (rockcat) having computer problems.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

:D :D
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

docinwestchester wrote:
johnfoyle wrote:Any recording yet?
There is one coming soon on Dime. Taper (rockcat) having computer problems.

What ever happened to this????
blureu

Post by blureu »

A recording surfaced on Dime last week thanks to 'gravenb'

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=494853