Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis plays New Haven, Nov. 8 '13

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
Miclewis

Re: Elvis plays New Haven, Nov. 8 '13

Post by Miclewis »

I got a great ticket: 4th row, orchestra. Can't wait!!!
brilliantmistake

Post by brilliantmistake »

I'm going. I have a front row tix for this one.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
@ElvisCostello ended with Tripwire -> What's So Funny. But it was the acoustic reworking of "Everyday I Write The Book" that stole thee show
Steven Mandel wrote:Literally drinking wine on @elviscostello's tour bus so I win at life and you all suck.
Steven Mandel wrote:Elvis is on the phone with Burt right now so I have a second to tweet to you. #TourBusTweets
EdwardOC

Post by EdwardOC »

Shubert Theater, New Haven, CT Setlist
November 8, 2013

Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head
Sneaky Feelings
Little Triggers
Flutter and Wow
So Like Candy (with some You're No Good)
Too Soon To Know
Stranger In the House
Suffering Face
Starting To Come To Me
Only Flame In Town
Walkin' My Baby Back Home
Different Finger (with some Games People Play)
I Can't Say Her Name
Girls Talk
I'll Wear It Proudly
The Other End of the Telescope
Everyday I Write the Book
Human Hands
I Want You
When It Sings
Shipbuilding
Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmie Standing In the Rain
His Latest Flame
Alison
Radio Soul (with some Caravan)
Tripwire
(What's So Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding
brilliantmistake

Post by brilliantmistake »

You beat me to it. I was just typing up the setlist but got caught up trying to figure out where "I can't say your name" comes from. Great show. I just can't believe the depth of tunes that are coming out on this tour. In the two shows I've seen so far, I think there were only 6 repeats.
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

So many highlights; I can't choose a favorite.

Real surprises for me:

Sneaky Feelings was amazing!!

Beautiful vocal on Alison; you would think Elvis would just phone it in after so many years.

An extra verse in Shipbuilding about "babies in boxes", with terrific electric piano playing.

"Everyday I Write the Book" was amazingly tender, charming and fun. Elvis said he hates the song; but that Ron Sexsmith saved it for him. (I hope someone covers Party Party so Elvis resurrects it, LOL)

Elvis' sit down session was so great and intimate. I felt like I was just sitting in front of the fireplace with an old friend singing old songs. "Walkin' My Baby Back Home", "Different Finger", and "I Can't Say Her Name" were sublime.

Of course, "I Want You" was fantastic. It was so cool that Elvis would sample his guitar playing live, play it back and then play a solo on top of the sample - Awesome!!!

Every song was great tonight - they were all highlights!!!
cwr

Post by cwr »

THIS TOUR IS A DREAM COME TRUE.

I'll be seeing the 2nd Port Chester show, and I can't wait to experience the feeling of surprise whenever he begins to play a song that hasn't appeared on this tour yet....
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Different Finger ???!!!!
BA, I am your long lost English cousin and I demand you adopt me for every US tour !!! :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

my analog cousin, you are welcome anytime!
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Oh my, this tour is amazing.
I would die to hear Suffering Face and Home is Anywhere ... and I'll Wear It Proudly.

112 songs so far, if I'm counting right.
Is there any other artist in the world who could do such a thing?? I seriously doubt it.
You guys are so lucky.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

cwr wrote:THIS TOUR IS A DREAM COME TRUE.

I'll be seeing the 2nd Port Chester show, and I can't wait to experience the feeling of surprise whenever he begins to play a song that hasn't appeared on this tour yet....
This is what the "Spectacular Spinning Songbook" promised and should have been. I hope you all enjoy this.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

invisible Pole wrote:Oh my, this tour is amazing.
I would die to hear Suffering Face and Home is Anywhere ... and I'll Wear It Proudly.

112 songs so far, if I'm counting right.
Is there any other artist in the world who could do such a thing?? I seriously doubt it.
You guys are so lucky.
everyone has their handful of songs that we anxiously await...i did miss a few last night: SNEAKY FEELINGS, DIFFERENT FINGER and SUFFERING FACE being the ones i had not seen performed LIVE as of yet. i hope they reappear at the two remaining shows i will attend. as far as the other artist who might be capable of such a complex listing of songs: BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN! the solo tour of 2005 was incredible and i picked three to attend spread across three months, so actually culled fifty seven different in those three shows. i think he topped 120 performed back then, but it WAS a much lengthier tour than this one.
Jack of All Parades wrote:
cwr wrote:THIS TOUR IS A DREAM COME TRUE.

This is what the "Spectacular Spinning Songbook" promised and should have been. I hope you all enjoy this.
we surely are Jack and i am saddened for all my friends abroad that can not see a night or three! :( :( :(
tinbrooklyn

Post by tinbrooklyn »

Very lucky to live in tri-state area. 2 down 9 shows to go. Can not wait. Perfect venues. Perfect shows.
Not even Bruce plays this many different songs over 6 night, maybe the Dead? But that is a lifetime ago!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

NOOOO i did not say BRUCE even would, tin. only Mr. Costello has THIS fanatic ability and motivation.
tinbrooklyn

Post by tinbrooklyn »

No disrespect to Bruce or the Great Bronx Apostle. I am sorry, I understand exactly what you meant. I know it is selfish but it is great that Elvis is still able to do shows like this solo tour.
tinbrooklyn

Post by tinbrooklyn »

Sorry ba. I always enjoy reading your posts so much, would not want to have given the impression I disagree with you.
Bruce could do it, he has the material, but I would not be able to afford even 1 show on stubhub.
Buy you a beer at any show, I owe you for all your funny and insightful posts.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

no need for an apology...never once thought you were disagreeable with me AT ALL tin! and you certainly don't owe me a thing. i owe YOU for reading all the bullcrap i serve up. :lol: :lol: i will take a "HELLO" and a handshake in person if i read your post correctly that you are going to NINE more shows this tour??? surely 11-11 Port Chester or Kingston 11-14 is on your agenda. those are the only other two that i can AFFORD!!! three is my maximum this time. but, naturally, wish it could be more. who knows...maybe i'll find a cheapie for the VERY LUCKY NUMBERED date of 11-12-13 show in Port Chester! :wink: :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

tinbrooklyn wrote:Very lucky to live in tri-state area. 2 down 9 shows to go. Can not wait.
Wow - you are a clear fan. Where have you been all our lives?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
tinbrooklyn

Post by tinbrooklyn »

Will be at both shows. It really would be my pleasure to buy a beer for any of you guys, Verbal especially
Only posted once before today, and that was when Elvis walked off on LI, saved me the trouble of leaving a show for the first time!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

errr...why would you LEAVE a show??? and VERBAL you will have to AIR MAIL him a beer. were you at ENGLEWOOD? if you want MY recording...we can meet near the merch table 7:30 p.s. glad you started posting. we haven't met before, have we?
tinbrooklyn

Post by tinbrooklyn »

I will try and meet you at 7:30 in Kingston but time might be issue, definitely Port Chester. Was at that show and would love a copy, very kind of you. Do not think we have met, as you can tell a go to a few shows. Do not usually go to this many shows. Just thought this solo tour had such promise, I took a chance . Almost left show because crowd was drunk and disrectful, been to shows with jerks before but this was so bad Elvis left stage, first night, brand new venue, not a Costello crowd. could hear a pin drop in New Haven during off mike moments
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

7:30 at the merch table in PORT CHESTER MONDAY night! i'm a short guy in a dungaree jacket usually! you'll know it's me by my holding a white paper sleeve with the 2 cd version of Englewood. see you there.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I knew it BA, you've got a ZZ Top beard and a racoon on your shoulder as well as the dungaree top !! And I thought you were a smooth sophisticated NY cool dude :wink:
Last edited by sulky lad on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.