johnfoyle

Elvis plays Northampton, MA, Nov. 3 '13

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis plays Northampton, MA, Nov. 3 '13

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/i ... _elvi.html

Elvis Costello. Legendary musician on a rare solo tour. 8 p.m. $55-$75, Advance tickets sold out, but some will be available at the door. Calvin Theatre, Northampton. iheg.com
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

this is the one i WISH i was going to! brotherapostle and i and our respective MRS. had one of the BEST ROAD TRIPS EVER and a FANTASTIC EVENING with RYAN ADAMS AND THE CARDINALS on 9-16-2007. LOVE this place. gonna be a GREAT show. ENJOY!!! check out my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvmY9PCMMts
brilliantmistake

Post by brilliantmistake »

I'm going. 3rd row for this one.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

ANCT!!! are you REALLY East Coast this time??? see you in NEW JERSEY tomorrow? LMK best, ba
false alarm...ANCT remains on the wrong coast :lol: :lol:
king foyle mistook nunki's photo as his own when he should CLEARLY KNOW BY NOW, ANCT finds EVERYTHING EC from ANY corner of the world!
our very own SHERLOCK HOLMES!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/i ... s_dee.html

Review: Elvis Costello digs deep for Calvin Theatre show
By George Lenker
on November 03, 2013 at 10:34 PM, updated November 03, 2013 at 10:37 PM

NORTHAMPTON –Thirty-five years ago, a brash and angry Elvis Costello played a short, explosive set just down the road at the University of Massachusetts Student Union Ballroom. That abbreviated 40-minute show left some fans exhilarated and others confused.

Fast forward to Sunday night and a very different Elvis Costello showed up. Friendly and a crowd-pleaser, Costello enthralled the standing-room only crowd at the Calvin Theatre with a two-hour (including encores) set that visited numerous facets of the singer-songwriter's storied career, including many tunes not often performed live.

While seeing Costello with a full backing band is a must-see experience, his solo shows like the one at the Calvin Sunday provide just as entertaining of an evening, albeit in a different light. In a a way, the stark setting of hearing the songs with just guitar and voice showcased the intricacy and nuance that Costello puts into his writing.

Take "Kinder Murder" for example. Although the full-band version provides listeners with a gut-punch sound, Sunday night's solo rendition was just as visceral but didn't rely on a backbeat.

The same was true of "New Lace Sleeves," which didn't have the recorded version's syncopated beat by drummer Pete Thomas, but brought the listener inside the song with a slowed-down, insinuating tone. The songs also allowed Costello to showcase his crooning ability.

Of course, slower songs like "Strip Search" and "Invasion Hit Parade" worked perfectly in an acoustic setting. These tunes also allowed Costello to stretch his voice out a bit.

Opening with the mournful "Peace in Our Time" immediately followed by dissonantly angry "Cinco Minutos Con Vos" (Five Minutes with You") which morphed into "High Fidelity."

It took Costello a few minutes to warm up vocally–nothing really strained, just a slight lack of usual power. But but by he fourth song, "Green Shirt," his voice was in fine form. "Coal Train Robberies" then brought his vocals into full force.

Costello didn't play a lot of his hits, but dug deeper, bringing out lesser-known tunes like "Bullets for the New-Born King," from his "National Ransom" album in 2010. This song was played somewhat ironically after Costello announced that the show was "all about peace."

Similarly, "Which Side Are You On?" was a song of a mining conflict song by Florence Reece that was popularized by Pete Seeger.

Costello kept mining deeper cuts, playing "The River in Reverse," from his 2005 collaboration of the same name with Allen Toussaint. The only song that didn't work well was "Bedlam" whose funky rhythm didn't translate well to the acoustic setting.

After a somewhat dark-themed first hour, Costello lightened the mood by asking for requests. The audience responded with a deafening cacophony. Costello then ventured into his first hit, "Alison," to the delight of the crowd. He followed this with the powerful "Man Out of Time" from 1982's "Imperial Bedroom."

But Costello revisited more obscure songs in the second half as well, pulling out "Any King's Shilling" from 1989's "Spike."

The regular part of the show ended with "Oliver's Army," before Costello returned to perform two encores which included a gorgeous version of "Shipbuilding" (on piano), the poignant "For More Tears,""Less Than Zero," and a medley of "Tripwire" with "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?"
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

WOW!!! i see three songs the same from last night. gonna be a FUN tour! what the heck is STRIP SEARCH?
docinwestchester

Strip Search?

"Flies buzzing round the strip search light
They've got him down on his knees
He dreams of honey dripping from a spoon
Girls whispering in Portuguese"
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

what's that? ONE BELL RINGING?
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:what's that? ONE BELL RINGING?
Yeah, but that's a bit of a stretch.
docinwestchester

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

whatd'ya mean?? maybe a "different" tune? the reviewer seems pretty accurate with many obscure titles named correctly. i wonder what happened with this STRIP SEARCH! looking like i will want to get to more than THREE shows if this is the way November is gonna be. i count nineteen different from this review alone without the FULL setlist in yet. and i got a hunch that my hunch of a different opener nightly will be the way this goes. should be a momentous month. maybe my 119 songs played will be obliterated halfway through. :wink: :wink: :wink:
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

bronxapostle wrote:... and i got a hunch that my hunch of a different opener nightly will be the way this goes. should be a momentous month. maybe my 119 songs played will be obliterated halfway through. :wink: :wink: :wink:
He made a comment in Burlington that seemed like a throwaway line at the time but may be a forecast - to paraphrase, he referred to the minstrel with 500 songs.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Noel Noel ‏@soulamonglions

@ElvisCostello at The Calvin Theater. Northampton, MA. 3 Nov 2013. Telling it like it is... pic.twitter.com/0QGiKQAMzc
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

yes, he played "One Bell Ringing"

While a solid review, he did miss a bit of a nuance---EC did refer to the show as "all about peace" several times...as he then dug into various war songs---what the reviewer missed was a poignant "you hung the moon"--which he prefaced with a story about his grandfather thought to be killed in WWI. Also, he changed a line in Shipbuilding to be "boxes for babies" and "all you get are a small bunch of flowers", making it even more dramatic and dark...(if i recall, I think he left out the verse in eace in our time about "another spaceman in the white house")

He also performed in the encore an elegant and spellbinding "Sleep of the Just"---sounded amazing...as pointed out by the reviewer, New Lace Sleeves was spellbinding

To round things out he also did Slow Drag with Josephine, Jimmy Standing in the Rain, Less Than Zero, She's Pulling Out the Pin...a few others that i can't summon-up in my fading memory

Overall, an excellent performance...quite an interesting song selection
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

History Repeats wrote:..... While a solid review, he did miss a bit of a nuance---EC did refer to the show as "all about peace" several times...
Hmmmm. He referred several times during the Burlington show to the fact that the theme was love.
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

Last night in No.Hampton he DID say that "last night (burlington) was all about love..."

The show in No Hampton was "about peace"...opening with Peace in Our Time...
docinwestchester

History Repeats wrote:Last night in No.Hampton he DID say that "last night (burlington) was all about love..."

The show in No Hampton was "about peace"...opening with Peace in Our Time...
So tonight's show will be about "understanding"?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Laura Merwin @lmerwin tweeted -

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

22 seconds of Coal-Train Robberies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAKMybgdtXI
45 seconds of Invasion Hit Parade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVM7sNxMdEI
35 seconds of Oliver's Army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkyScQYvtPs
almost all of Shipbuilding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9genWF13Dw
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... Still no sign yet please of any audio etc of EC again doing unreleased-by-him 'Which side are you on?'...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
brilliantmistake

Post by brilliantmistake »

Here is the correct order for the setlist:
1. Peace in Our Time
2. Cinco Minutos Con Vos
3. High Fidelity
4. Green Shirt
5. Coal Train Robberies
6. New Lace Sleeves
7. Invasion Hit Parade
8. Bullets for the Newborn King
9. Which Side are you On?
10. River in Reverse
11. Pulling out the Pin
12. Bedlam
13. One Bell Ringing
14. Allison
15. Man Out of Time
16. You Hung the Moon
17. Any King's Shilling
18. Kinder Murder
19. Oliver's Army

Encore
20. Shipbuilding
21. For More Tears
22. A Slow Drag With Josephine
23. Jimmie Standing in the Rain
24. Sleep of the Just

Encore
25. Less Than Zero
26. Tripwire
27. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks for the full setlist brilliant...where did you acquire it? hopefully from a recording!! 8)