BBC 6Music's The First Time With Elvis Costello, 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
Pigalle

BBC 6Music's The First Time With Elvis Costello, 2013

Post by Pigalle »

Just trailed on 6Music, to be broadcast on Sunday 3rd November 2013 at 1300 (GMT).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ft73l

Elvis Costello

Series 6

Duration:
1 hour

First broadcast:
Sunday 03 November 2013

Matt Everitt speaks to Elvis Costello, one of the most admired and gifted songwriters in the history of popular music, about the key first musical moments that shaped his life.

He arrived seemingly fully formed with his 1977 debut album My Aim Is True full of passion, anger and poetry - and hasn't stopped moving since.

He's produced albums of sneering post punk, lavish orchestral pop, country and western, r'n'b, easy listening, classical instrumentation, Tin Pan Alley pop and jazz - and the thread that runs through all of his output is his brilliant lyrics and song writing skill.

Not a man who does that many interviews - quite possibly as he doesn't enjoy them, here Elvis talks about the influence of his father on his musical history (he was a trumpeter with The Joe Loss Orchestra in the 50s and 60s) the recording of his breakthrough album My Aim Is True and enlisting legendary jazz trumpet Chet Baker for his classic song Shipbuilding.

He also talks about some of his favourite collaborators which include Paul McCartney, Burt Bacharach and most recently The Roots - which whom he's just released a new album - Wise Up Ghost - which once again sounds like nothing he's ever recorded.
johnfoyle

Re: UPCOMING: BBC 6Music's The First Time With Elvis Costell

Post by johnfoyle »

Listening now via this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

Usual stories - first word being 'Skin' , looking for' I Got You Under My Skin' and the BBC play a Dinah Washington version , when I'm sure Elvis referred to a Frank Sinatra version.

They're now playing Ross McManus's Patsy Girl - yay!
johnfoyle

Re: UPCOMING: BBC 6Music's The First Time With Elvis Costell

Post by johnfoyle »

Details -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ft73l

For some reason the list of songs used in the programme includes lots of songs that were not featured .

Without a listen back right now I remember -

Elvis Costello Peace Love And Understanding

( not listed & not credited on air - - I Got You Under My Skin by what sounded to me like Dinah Washington

The Beatles Please Please Me

Ross McManus Patsy Girl

Georgie Fame Get On The Right Track, Baby

Elvis Costello Less Than Zero

Elvis Costello Alison

Joni Mitchell California

Elvis Costello and The Attractions Accidents Will Happen

Elvis Costello Shipbuilding

Burt Bacharach And Elvis Costello God Give Me Strength

Elvis Costello Veronica

Elvis Costello & The Roots Stick out Your Tongue
johnfoyle

Re: UPCOMING: BBC 6Music's The First Time With Elvis Costello

Post by johnfoyle »

Top balcony

Re: BBC 6Music's The First Time With Elvis Costello, 2013

Post by Top balcony »

If anyone has a copy of this could they PM me? I seem to have missed this both times round.

Cheers

Colin Top Balcony