Elvis tribute on Spindle City Americana Music Fest., Oct. 19

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis tribute on Spindle City Americana Music Fest., Oct. 19

Post by sweetest punch »

Spindle City Americana Music Festival celebrates Elvis Costello

Elvis Costello, one of the most iconic performers of the last four decades, will be the focus of the Narrows Center for the Arts second annual Spindle City Americana Music Festival this Saturday, Oct. 19.

Now in its second year, the festival brings together musicians and music lovers to celebrate the music of a specific performer. Last year, it was Gram Parsons and this year, Norton said he chose Costello because his work crosses so many genres: punk, country, blues, bluegrass, classical and rock. “He’s really done it all. The connection,” said Norton, “is that most of those are styles that I classified as Americana.”

Though he wouldn’t divulge all of the songs Costello fans will hear performed on Saturday, Norton hinted at a few: “Angels Want to Wear My Red Shoes,” “Waiting for the End of the World,” and “Oliver’s Army.” But Costello fans will have to show up to find out which band or musician will be performing the Costello classics. Unlike last year’s festival, there won’t be a CD recording for this year’s event.

Named by Rolling Stone magazine as one of the 100 Greatest Living Artists of All Time in 2004, Costello’s hits also include “Watching the Detectives” and “Alison.”

“I thought he was a great pick; there’s lots of music to choose from,” added Norton.
Norton said the artists scheduled to perform are Smith and Weedon, Todd Thibaud, Jimmy Ryan, Heather Maloney, Mark Cutler and the Men of Great Courage, Jenny Dee and the Delinquents and the Bob Kendall Band.

Kendall and Cutler both performed at last year’s show, but all of the other acts are new to the Spindle City Americana Music Festival this year. “I think it’s a good mix of people; Jimmy Dee and the Delinquents has a horn section, and Heather Maloney is a solo act,” said Norton.

Each act will cover a Costello song chosen by the Narrows and a Costello song that they chose themselves. Each artist or band will round out their 30-minute sets with original material, as well.
“We want to continue to build on last year’s stellar event. The Americana Festival is a great way to showcase regional acts and their influences,” Norton said in a prepared statement.

The festival will be held from 5 to 11 p.m.

The Narrows Center for the Arts has made a name for itself as one the top music venues in southeastern New England, attracting music-lovers from Cape Cod to Newport, R.I. and beyond. The non-profit performing arts center in the waterfront district of Fall River is located on the top floor of a historic mill building with amazing acoustics and spectacular views of Battleship Cove.

The Narrows Center is located at 16 Anawan St. Tickets are $15 in advance, $17 at the door. For more information, call 508-324-1926, email bookings@narrowscenter.org, or visit www.narrowscenter.org.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.