New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
stricttime81

Re: New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Postby stricttime81 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:27 am

I should have asked him if there will be a Wise Up Ghost II, but I forgot, had been drinking whiskey all night!
AKA: Mike the Lawyer

sweetest punch

Postby sweetest punch » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:53 am

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:57 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uwKjAbiMs8

Cinco Minutos Con Vos Piano Cover

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:28 am

From earlier in this -

Today, the artists also revealed the cover art for Wise Up Ghost,. The
design was inspired by that of the legendary City Lights Pocket Poets
Series, conceived by poet and publisher Lawrence Ferlinghetti and
specifically it’s an homage to the cover of “Howl and Other Poems” by
Allen Ginsberg
, published in 1956. The genesis of this idea began with
Blue Note Records president Don Was who saw the connection between
Costello’s lyrics and the presentation of the poetry of Ginsberg,
Ferlinghetti and Corso by City Lights who graciously supported the use
of their celebrated design.

I was delighted to get, by chance, Howl in Strand Books in New York & kind off add to the Wise Up Ghost formats

Jack of All Parades

Postby Jack of All Parades » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:54 pm

Ah- The Strand- my home away from home........now you have to read the book, Mr. Foyle. One of my favorite album covers in some time. It played nicely with the notion of breaking with convention and of the 'howl' of emotional and social pain voiced in many of the album's lyrics much like the darkly open lyrical lines of that title poem and the others that comprised that volume. Nice purchase.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'

johnfoyle

Postby johnfoyle » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:09 am

Via Facebook

Lawrence Ferlinghetti photo: City Lights Archive

#Onthisday in 1957, Allen Ginsberg's "Howl and Other Poems" is cleared of obscenity charges, and Lawrence Ferlinghetti, owner of City Lights Bookstore, is found not guilty of willfully and lewdly printing, publishing, and selling obscene writings. http://bit.ly/2dDRNxC

sweetest punch

Postby sweetest punch » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:11 pm

In this interview Elvis talks about a "lost" live album: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... ts-w485358
(...)
Your last album was Wise Up Ghost and Other Songs, with the Roots. How do you see that one now?

It was amazing that it happened the way it did, with no real conversation ahead of time. We just literally started playing. I really love the title track and "Cinco Minutos." We have a ferocious live album in the can, with "Ghost Town," by the Specials, and "Found Out," by John Lennon. There was a thought of following it with a live release – until the record companies started crunching the numbers. They have their limits for invention.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.

docinwestchester

Postby docinwestchester » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:34 pm

sweetest punch wrote:In this interview Elvis talks about a "lost" live album: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... ts-w485358
(...)
Your last album was Wise Up Ghost and Other Songs, with the Roots. How do you see that one now?

It was amazing that it happened the way it did, with no real conversation ahead of time. We just literally started playing. I really love the title track and "Cinco Minutos." We have a ferocious live album in the can, with "Ghost Town," by the Specials, and "Found Out," by John Lennon. There was a thought of following it with a live release – until the record companies started crunching the numbers. They have their limits for invention.

The Brooklyn Bowl show was broadcast live on WFUV-FM.

Jack of All Parades

Postby Jack of All Parades » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:45 am

I would love to hear, or read, the rationale provided by those record execs for killing such a release having 'crunched the numbers'. I have long thought that there should be some type of a 'luxury' tax built into the sales of performers like Beyoncé, Bieber or Perry that would allow record companies to finance the continued production of just such a release for those artists whose volume of sales supposedly no longer justify continued release of albums. Simply thinking out loud........
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'

sulky lad

Postby sulky lad » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:46 am

The problem is , as Costello fans, we're in a minority. If you look st certain ROIO sites, recording of live shows will be taken up by 100-250 people at most. Even old Pre-FM recordings
That occasionally come up barely reach 500 takers. Surely the best thing would be to offer the recording immediately after the concert like Squeeze and several others do so that you and I have people buying a souvenir which hey may not hunt out after returning home

verbal gymnastics

Postby verbal gymnastics » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Sulky - We've been over this one time and time again on the forum and we know it ain't gonna happen!
international laughing stock...

Man out of Time

Postby Man out of Time » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:30 pm

Here is a review of Wise Up Ghost by Sérgio Martins with clips from some tracks and a bit of biographical information too. One for our Portuguese speaking forum members...

The YouTube description translates into English thus:

Sérgio Martins talks about the release of the album 'Wise Up Ghost and Other Songs', a result of the partnership between Elvis Costello, one of the greatest lyricists in the international pop scene, and American hip-hop group The Roots

MOOT

Return to “Elvis Costello General Discussion”