Now on New Server

Announcements and instructions regarding the board
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Now on New Server

Post by DrSpooky »

I have switched us over to the new server. It looked like everything went well and everything is working again. I think I checked everything but it is always possible I missed something. So if you see anything amiss, please post and let me know.

In a few days, if all looks well, I will move the hard drive that had to be external on the old server to an internal slot on the new computer. That shouldn't require much down time.

Again a very big thank you to everyone who contributed to the purchase of the new server.
Otis Westinghouse

Re: Now on New Server

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Thanks, Doc. One thing I've noticed is that posts now take minutes to load, not a problem per se as it works, but definitely way slower than it used to be.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Otis Westinghouse

hah - although this one was dead quick. Maybe it's just something oddly local to the 'Favourite Albums of 2010' thread!
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:hah - although this one was dead quick. Maybe it's just something oddly local to the 'Favourite Albums of 2010' thread!
The only idea I have why anything would be slower on this machine was that the other machine was in a "steady state" where everything was cached. I purged the caches when moving to the new machine and maybe it is just settling in. An active thread probably was always served from RAM not disk. For a while, we were serving from disk. But that wouldn't explain seconds.

Note the time of day if this happens again. It is possible that backups or other automated activities are overlapping.
Otis Westinghouse

Well this gave me an excuse to post on the same thread (even if it was about 2011!), and I timed it: exactly 4 minutes. Managed to make a piece of toast before it loaded! This was at 10.30 GMT, so 5.30am in NY and maybe an hour or two earlier where you are. Browser is Safari on a Mac. Will also time this one and add how long it took...

... 2 seconds. Let's try one on the EC topics...
Otis Westinghouse

So the initial post above was almost instantaneous, in the familiar style, though the edited version was a bit slower. 20-30 secs. I posted on a current EC thread and that has 2'30". Conclusion: it varies, but some threads are especially slow.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Maybe it's your Mac.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

bambooneedle wrote:Maybe it's your Mac.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D
It could indeed be something specific to Safari. Maybe some html that Safari doesn't like. Any other Safari users notice anything?

I played with the site fire Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.
Otis Westinghouse

But why would it suddenly be an issue now? had this same splendid Mac for several years now, so am well acquainted with the usual fast speed. Will try a post from Firefox to see.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I'm having the same problem - Mac, using Firefox.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:I'm having the same problem - Mac, using Firefox.
Is there a specific time or page where this happens?
Otis Westinghouse

Seems to apply randomly and variously. Is it a Mac thing, then? Clearly not just a Safari thing.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

I have the same problem. It takes a long time (2 - 3 minutes) to load a post.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

sweetest punch wrote:I have the same problem. It takes a long time (2 - 3 minutes) to load a post.
What time of day? What URL?
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

DrSpooky wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:I'm having the same problem - Mac, using Firefox.
Is there a specific time or page where this happens?
Not that I can tell.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I don't know if it is related but the new server pulls more power than the old one and the UPS has apparently failed after 4 years. It did not provide enough power to even beep when I unplugged it. The computer was periodically going into a hibernation state. It did it twice this morning.
Otis Westinghouse

Just tried posting on the National Ransom thread, and it's taking ages again. Sorry!

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f6c&t=8217

This comment went through immediately while the above is still chugging away. It's 1.45 am (blimey!).
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

FWIW I have no issues when I post on this sub-forum.
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Just tried posting on the "National Ransom" thread, and it's taking ages again.
Perhaps it has something to do with the length of the thread. The National Ransom thread is currently 23 pages with 560 posts.

Do you experience the delay on other, shorter threads? If not, you could try posting on other long threads such as the "Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff" (19 pages, 463 posts) and "Elvis when you least expect it" (21 pages, 518 posts) to see if there's a similar delay.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

EarlManchester wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:Just tried posting on the "National Ransom" thread, and it's taking ages again.
Perhaps it has something to do with the length of the thread. The National Ransom thread is currently 23 pages with 560 posts.

Do you experience the delay on other, shorter threads? If not, you could try posting on other long threads such as the "Relatively Insignificant EC Stuff" (19 pages, 463 posts) and "Elvis when you least expect it" (21 pages, 518 posts) to see if there's a similar delay.
I just posted to that thread and it was nearly instantaneous.

FWIW I assume that was 1:45 AM your time since your post shows up as 7:49pm in my local time. I see an automated monitoring program that runs at xx:15 and xx:45. I have turned it down to 2:15, 2:45, 16:15, and 16:45 local time.

FWIW there are performance monitoring graphs at http://elviscostellofans.com/munin/. Those can often show the type of activity.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Just posted on the footy thread in The Annex. Took about 2 minutes to go through. Using Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.5, running Firefox.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I have been encountering of late when I log on a challenge to unscramble letters because I have supposedly failed in too many prior log on attempts. The problem is I have not been logging on previously incorrectly and making too many failed attempts. Either someone is trying to hack the site or there is some anomaly in the program. Chris
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Christopher Sjoholm wrote:I have been encountering of late when I log on a challenge to unscramble letters because I have supposedly failed in too many prior log on attempts. The problem is I have not been logging on previously incorrectly and making too many failed attempts. Either someone is trying to hack the site or there is some anomaly in the program. Chris
PM SpookyGirlfriend and see if she can spot something going on with your account. She is good at user account issues.

Nothing is set up differently but you could have tripped something.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

In case you noticed and wondered, there was some up and down time yesterday evening. I moved a hard drive that had to be in an external USB case with the old computer and could be made internal with the new server.
While doing this, I resolved why only 3 of the 4 CPUs were active.

Also yesterday I bought new batteries for the UPS. They are now recalibrated and 100% charged. Tonight when I get home, there will be another 10-15 minutes of down time to put the server back on the UPS.

On the performance front, I have monitoring turned on and there was a BIG spike in network traffic around the time of the reported slow time. http://www.elviscostellofans.com/munin/ ... ml#network

If you see something odd or performance issues, let me know. I left as many settings as default on this computer and had highly tuned the old one.
Otis Westinghouse

Many thanks. Seems fine now. Yep, dead fast to post (especially on my nice, fast new Mac!).