Now on New Server

Announcements and instructions regarding the board
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Re: Now on New Server

Post by DrSpooky »

I am glad it is working well for you.

If you are ever curious about the load on the server, it is available at http://www.elviscostellofans.com/munin/. If you have a performance problem, see if you can correlate it to a spike in one of the graphs there. It will help track it down.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Brilliant! Thanks.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
stormwarning

Post by stormwarning »

Hi Doc, I made a couple of posts between 22.35 and 22.48 EST, each time the screen took about 2 minutes to refresh. I'm on latest versions of Mac OS and Firefox, give or take a week.

(but this one was only about 1 second)
Where's North from 'ere?
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

stormwarning wrote:Hi Doc, I made a couple of posts between 22.35 and 22.48 EST, each time the screen took about 2 minutes to refresh. I'm on latest versions of Mac OS and Firefox, give or take a week.

(but this one was only about 1 second)
I think I see one of the backup activities running about that time and using a LOT of the network bandwidth. Let me check into turning down how much bandwidth that it allowed to take. Look at http://www.rtems.info/munin/localhost/l ... ml#network at the graph "eth0 traffic" and see if that spike down matches your time. FWIW we are on CST so that would be around 21:35 to us.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Doc, posted on the Spinning Songbook thread just a few minutes ago and it took an eternity. Still having major problems. FWIW I never have problems in this forum, only the Annex and EC forums.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Doc, posted on the Spinning Songbook thread just a few minutes ago and it took an eternity. Still having major problems. FWIW I never have problems in this forum, only the Annex and EC forums.
This sounds like a hint that the busiest and biggest forums might need some database clean up or optimization. I will do some research.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

DrSpooky wrote:
Who Shot Sam? wrote:Doc, posted on the Spinning Songbook thread just a few minutes ago and it took an eternity. Still having major problems. FWIW I never have problems in this forum, only the Annex and EC forums.
This sounds like a hint that the busiest and biggest forums might need some database clean up or optimization. I will do some research.
OK. I did some reading and have tried two things.
  • Ran an optimize command on database tables for the Board and the Wiki.
  • Switched from default configuration for database engine to one for "huge" systems which surprisingly starts at 1-2GB RAM. :)
Please let me know if any of this helped. If it didn't, I will dig into the next thing to try.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

DrSpooky wrote:
DrSpooky wrote:
OK. I did some reading and have tried two things.
  • Ran an optimize command on database tables for the Board and the Wiki.
  • Switched from default configuration for database engine to one for "huge" systems which surprisingly starts at 1-2GB RAM. :)
Please let me know if any of this helped. If it didn't, I will dig into the next thing to try.
Just posted again on the film thread and it was the same story. Could it be Mac-related?
Otis Westinghouse

I too am on a Mac and finding it slow all the time - 2-3 minutes or the like. I'm just used to it now, so post and then open up a different window whilst it goes through. IT annoys the hell out of my kids if they want to get on whilst I'm waiting for it to load. Haven't tried it on a PC yet, will soon, but it seemed other presumably non-Mac users were also experiencing delays.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:I too am on a Mac and finding it slow all the time - 2-3 minutes or the like. I'm just used to it now, so post and then open up a different window whilst it goes through. IT annoys the hell out of my kids if they want to get on whilst I'm waiting for it to load. Haven't tried it on a PC yet, will soon, but it seemed other presumably non-Mac users were also experiencing delays.
I guess we need to setup a time to use google talk or yahoo and let you post while I am watching the server.

I installed Safari on Windows and am posting this from there. If it loads quickly, then we have no recourse except for me to watch you live.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

DrSpooky wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote:I too am on a Mac and finding it slow all the time - 2-3 minutes or the like. I'm just used to it now, so post and then open up a different window whilst it goes through. IT annoys the hell out of my kids if they want to get on whilst I'm waiting for it to load. Haven't tried it on a PC yet, will soon, but it seemed other presumably non-Mac users were also experiencing delays.
I guess we need to setup a time to use google talk or yahoo and let you post while I am watching the server.

I installed Safari on Windows and am posting this from there. If it loads quickly, then we have no recourse except for me to watch you live.
Do you have any Safari extensions installed?

What privacy settings do you have?

Can you try Firefox on your Mac? That would at least get us past browser versus something more general on the Mac.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Hi all,

I spent some time last night watching the server and router logs while JohnE tried to upload pictures to the Wiki. I spotted something in the logs and we managed to track it down. I found a setting in the firewall/router to change and it looks to have been the magic bullet. Some of the folks who had reported performance problems have reported that things look fixed.

I do not know why the new server tripped this. This router has pretty much had the same settings for years. I did not touch this setting for sure. I didn't even know it was something one might want to turn off. LOL

I would also like to thank a very network smart RTEMS user in Sidney who tried a variety of browsers on the Mac for me and actually suggested that something like this was the problem. If you fly in Australia or drive across the Sidney Bay Bridge, you have been near his software. :)

If you have had performance issues, please give it a try and let me know if it is better or worse. If not better, we can arrange to chat while you try to post or upload. I will watch the logs on the server and router.

Thanks. And sorry for this taking so long to find. It was a hard one.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

DrSpooky wrote:Hi all,

I spent some time last night watching the server and router logs while JohnE tried to upload pictures to the Wiki. I spotted something in the logs and we managed to track it down. I found a setting in the firewall/router to change and it looks to have been the magic bullet. Some of the folks who had reported performance problems have reported that things look fixed.

I do not know why the new server tripped this. This router has pretty much had the same settings for years. I did not touch this setting for sure. I didn't even know it was something one might want to turn off. LOL

I would also like to thank a very network smart RTEMS user in Sidney who tried a variety of browsers on the Mac for me and actually suggested that something like this was the problem. If you fly in Australia or drive across the Sidney Bay Bridge, you have been near his software. :)

If you have had performance issues, please give it a try and let me know if it is better or worse. If not better, we can arrange to chat while you try to post or upload. I will watch the logs on the server and router.

Thanks. And sorry for this taking so long to find. It was a hard one.
No need for sorry - thank you, DrSpooky!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

sweetest punch wrote:No need for sorry - thank you, DrSpooky!
You are too sweet. :D

I just hope the Board and Wiki perform well for everyone.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Thanks, doc. I've made four posts tonight and all have been accepted in seconds. Job well done!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Wow, working great now. Faster than ever! Thanks!
Otis Westinghouse

Yup, lightning fast. Gorgeous. Many thanks.

As things get more complicated, the margin for unexplained weirdness making things go wrong seems to widen. When I upgraded my Mc and software recently, I expected it all to be much faster, but google searches, use of wikipedia and other things were appallingly slow. Very frustrating. I then found advice on cnet saying 'try these open DNS server settings'. Meant precisely nothing to me, tried it, and it's exactly the same as what's happened here: slow sluggishness turned to white hot speed ion a second. My searches revealed similar problems to mine going back to when OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard came along, even earlier. Inexplicable slowness. but in 2-3 years of this, they don't seem to have put it right. You'd have thought they could email you to tell you what to do or something helpful. Similar with our new wireless router. Certain things tend to be sluggish, no doubt checking or unchecking a box somewhere, switching a setting or such would sort it all out, but unless you're a geek who just knows these things, what can you do?

Computers, can't live with 'em....
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Yup, lightning fast. Gorgeous. Many thanks.

As things get more complicated, the margin for unexplained weirdness making things go wrong seems to widen. When I upgraded my Mc and software recently, I expected it all to be much faster, but google searches, use of wikipedia and other things were appallingly slow. Very frustrating. I then found advice on cnet saying 'try these open DNS server settings'. Meant precisely nothing to me, tried it, and it's exactly the same as what's happened here: slow sluggishness turned to white hot speed ion a second. My searches revealed similar problems to mine going back to when OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard came along, even earlier. Inexplicable slowness. but in 2-3 years of this, they don't seem to have put it right. You'd have thought they could email you to tell you what to do or something helpful. Similar with our new wireless router. Certain things tend to be sluggish, no doubt checking or unchecking a box somewhere, switching a setting or such would sort it all out, but unless you're a geek who just knows these things, what can you do?

Computers, can't live with 'em....
I am not a Mac person but if there are any of those links that need decoding from techy geek into English, I can try. You are right that an odd button or setting can cause all the difference.

Ironically, the server (new and old) itself has rarely been the source of an odd problem but this router and the previous one both had me debugging a hard to find and troubling performance issue.