Upgrade Plans Over Holidays

Announcements and instructions regarding the board
Boy With A Problem

Re: Upgrade Plans Over Holidays

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Thanks for all of this Spookys.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

spooky girlfriend wrote:pophead, I haven't even played with this as much as WSS, but I think what you need to do is to click on User Control Panel, located right under the Amazon button at the top of the site page. On Board Preferences, choose subsilver 2. I think that may fix it for you, but let me know if it doesn't.
Thank you! This has me all fixed up.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

And now we have red underlines for dodgy spellings. Most welcome!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I didn't know that was a feature now. Can you right click on the word and get suggestions?
EarlManchester

Post by EarlManchester »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:And now we have red underlines for dodgy spellings. Most welcome!
That might be a feature of your browser. I first noticed it when I finally let Firefox update itself a few weeks ago.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

One difference I noticed. Previously when clicking a hyperlink a new browser or tab would open. However when clicking the link that Johnfoyle posted in the @Fairytale of new york one word at a time' thread I was navigated away from this site to the linked site. I realise I can right click and opt to open tab etc. but thought this was worth a mention.

Thanks

Sol
signed with love and vicious kisses
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

DrSpooky wrote:I didn't know that was a feature now. Can you right click on the word and get suggestions?
Hadn't noticed it when using Firefox in the past, but just compared that to Safari and both have red underlines. Firefox gives you alternatives, whereas Safari allows you to look it up in a dictionary, Google or spotlight.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

so lacklustre wrote:One difference I noticed. Previously when clicking a hyperlink a new browser or tab would open. However when clicking the link that Johnfoyle posted in the @Fairytale of new york one word at a time' thread I was navigated away from this site to the linked site. I realise I can right click and opt to open tab etc. but thought this was worth a mention.

Thanks

Sol
signed with love and vicious kisses
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Hi again,

it is a long holiday weekend here in the States for Thanksgiving. I am taking this as an opportunity to upgrade the operating system on the server running the Wiki and The Board. If all goes well, this should result in two outages of 1-2 hours and a few reboots. The first "long" outage should now be over.

I will post again when this is all over.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I posted in another thread but just in case you missed it.

The new server arrived last week and Friday night I switched us over to it. JohnE spotted a couple of oddities and I resolved them Saturday morning. As far I know everything is behaving properly.

Now that we are on the new server, if anyone has suggestions for new things they would like to see, please suggest it. We use phpbb to run The Board and a set of customizations is listed http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/modifications-1. The Wiki uses Mediawiki and there is already an effort underway to use Semantic Wiki which allows very expressive, informative markups which will let users more easily ask questions of the massive amount of information available in the Wiki. JohnE is experimenting with what makes markup makes sense for us to use.

With a new server and new ideas, it should be fun. Share suggestions and let me know is anything looks amiss.