Define the word "obscene"

Announcements and instructions regarding the board
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Define the word "obscene"

Post by spooky girlfriend »

From the websters.com site:

–adjective
1. offensive to morality or decency; indecent; depraved: obscene language.
2. causing uncontrolled sexual desire.
3. abominable; disgusting; repulsive.

As administrators of the board, Doc and I certainly appreciate Blue's constant dedication to taking care of comments that he receives regarding what is tolerated on the board.

Unlike the Elvis site years ago, this site is not run by a corporation or an organization, and will not be shut down because of an indiscrete post.

However, Doc and I do need to decide what you consider "obscene."

You are the board members. This is your responsibility to vote.

As Elvis fans, most of you are fairly tolerant of most things, but some have different value systems. Please state your opinions here so that Doc and I can make some decisions.
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

I have occasion to browse this site at work. I strongly feel that if I came across a picture of a penis or decorated breasts at the wrong moment, when one of my superiors was watching, I would get in serious trouble. I know many of the board members have children who they'd rather not have viewing that kind of material as well.

I take no offense to nudity on a personal level, but I don't think it's appropriate for here.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Okay, here's the thing. After hearing from some of you, this is what we have decided.

We're not against nudity. But we have some posters here that do browse at work and only participate in the board during their work day and don't get back on line once they are home. Indiscreet pictures would get some board members in trouble, and we don't want to be responsible for that.

So, I guess it's just not gonna fly here guys. Surely there's another site where those of you who want to see that kind of thing can go. The discussion itself wasn't bad, just the picture.

However, if someone should choose to have a thread with "questionable" discussion in it, could you please label it as NC 17 or something similar, so if there is someone who chooses not to read that sort of thing, they can know not to go any further.

We went through this thing a few years ago with something from Crow, I think, which wasn't that bad, but just the whole issue about a warning came up.

And I wasn't around long ago for the other thing that helped shut the Island board down, but some of you were. We will not shut this board down over something like that, but as owners and operators of it, we do have the power to remove something that the majority of users don't want to see.

I guess the majority of users didn't want to see the penis, so it's outta here.
StrictTime

Post by StrictTime »

.....Well I'm glad I missed that. My computer's in the living room, my mother right behind me. Thanks, spookys and Blue.
Why don't you write about it in your blag?