Slower
50%

Total votes: 10

DrSpooky
Site Admin

Does the Site Feel Faster Now?

Post by DrSpooky »

Hi,

I did some research to optimize the settings for the computer running The Board. It seems that pages load faster now for me. I hope it is that way for you also.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Maybe a wee bit faster.

BTW, lately I'd been noticing that when I would click on a post it sometimes would take ages to load or fail to load altogether. If I then clicked the browser toolbar button to stop loading the page and tried again, it usually resolved the issue. Strange. In any case, it's not happening so far today, so maybe your adjustments solved that problem.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Michele and I wondered who would be the first to post on this thread. She joked that you might be the only one who noticed at all. :)

Seriously there has been a LOT of activity on the machine lately. The EC Wiki is now hosted on this machine and once some internet administrivia is done, it will redirect here.

I am hoping that by tuning things just for these purposes I can improve them. Maybe adding more memory eventually if that turns out to help also.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

DrSpooky wrote:Michele and I wondered who would be the first to post on this thread. She joked that you might be the only one who noticed at all. :)
I think most people don't bother to look at this part of the site.

...and I need to get a life! :D :D
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Someone has to look over here.

And who said hanging out on The Board wasn't a life.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Seems much zippier to me Doc! And sexier too!
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

pophead2k wrote:Seems much zippier to me Doc! And sexier too!
She's happy to have compliments like that pophead. :)

I just noticed that the RSS feed which is probably not used by hardly anyone is definitely faster to get than it was. So if you like RSS, give it a try

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... php?t=3745
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Hmm, I used to use the RSS feed, then I switched over from Safari to Firefox and haven't bothered with RSS since then. Will have to see if there's an easy way to add to Firefox - I'm sure there is.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
mood swung

Post by mood swung »

YES! much faster for me. thanks for all your hard work, Doc.
Like me, the "g" is silent.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Yes after bragging about how the site was faster, the site has recently gotten slower. We are in the process of moving John E's site over to this host. It has pushed the server harder and we are trying to resolve it.

Hopefully this won't take much longer to resolve.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

DrSpooky wrote:Yes after bragging about how the site was faster, the site has recently gotten slower.
:lol: Typical!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Slower for me recently and I'm also getting this
lately I'd been noticing that when I would click on a post it sometimes would take ages to load or fail to load altogether. If I then clicked the browser toolbar button to stop loading the page and tried again, it usually resolved the issue. Strange.
all the time.
signed with love and vicious kisses
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Once I get 'in', it is moving fine, but for the last week or so, the loading of the index page has been slow or impossible. Rats.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

That slowdown would magically coincide with when XXX.elviscostello.info started redirecting to the same server as elviscostellofans.com. Since that time, we have quadrupled the amount of memory in the server which helped tremendously. On 21 September, this server served about 18,000 hits for 74MB of traffic. On 24 September, it served about 61000 hits for 901MB of traffic.

Search images.google.com for Simpsons, Soproanos, Rolling Stones, or Paul McCartney and you might notice that elviscostello.info is high on the list (#1 for Simpsons). We have turned off directly linking images in via Google, Myspace, and a few other blogging sites that dominated the traffic.

Since I see the same issues sitting at the machine that you also see, I do not believe it is a bandwidth issue. I also see no indication that the server is "too small". I am running some networking traffic analysis that makes me believe we have a limit based upon the default operating system configuration. I am seeing that the number of concurrent connections is 2-3 times that in the default OS configuration. I just changed a number of settings and things appear better. Let's run 24-48 hours and see how it goes.

Just to brag on the other guys, John E and gang are very smart folks and have good suggestions. This will get solved and probably overengineered in the process. :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

DrSpooky wrote:Since that time, we have quadrupled the amount of memory in the server which helped tremendously. On 21 September, this server served about 18,000 hits for 74MB of traffic. On 24 September, it served about 61000 hits for 901MB of traffic.
Is size important (or are you the wrong Spooky to ask :wink: :lol: )?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Ask Spooky G if size is important. :)

I increased one limit and overnight we hit another one in the same category. I can see it in the network logs. We went from handling 128 connections at a time to 249 but there are peaks of 350.

I am looking for the next setting to tweak.
John

Post by John »

Not sure if it's to do with my computer but I've found the site to be really slow over the last week or so.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Doc - I'm having a difficult time on the site - extra super slow!
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

Doc - I'm having a difficult time on the site - extra super slow!

A lot of this -

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings (if your network administrator has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

We're really trying to get things straightened out. We've spent time and money working on this and Doc comes straight home everyday and starts in on it again. He's even been seeking advice from various international contacts figuring out what to do.

Just hang in there everyone. We'll get through this. . . . .
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I have tinkered a bit more.

Hopefully this will improve things more.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I don't know what happened but apparently sometime between 3:30am Huntsville time (CST) and 6:00am the server got into a state where it needed a reboot. The only hint I see in the logs is that the network monitoring software I was running died.

It is back up now.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Still slow access here as well, understandable with wiki being added on. I'm sure it'll sort itself out eventually, thanks for all the work you're putting in.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

Much faster now, many thanks.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Hopefully it will stay that way. I still have a couple of outstanding questions/issues to check.