Now On New Server!!!

Announcements and instructions regarding the board
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Now On New Server!!!

Post by DrSpooky »

YEAH!!!

I have transitioned The Board to the new hardware server. I think everything should be OK. I disabled access to the old machine, copied The Board's databases to the new machine, tested a bit, and then reenabled external access to it. It seems to have gone very moothly. Some notes:

+ Email announcements now are sent directly from "TheBoard AT elviscostellofans DOT com" instead of via drjoel AT knology. This should make them arrive quicker. My tests had email showing up at gmail faster than I could refresh in another window.

+ Chat is gone. The version was old and would not transfer to the new machine easily. If people are interested, I can load a newer version. I did not want it to hold up the transition.

+ We now have mail accounts for USER AT elviscostellofans.com. If you are interested, please let me know. These can forward to another address or you can have webmail.

+ The RSS feeds should be useable since the machine is MUCH faster. We went from a 333 Mhz Pentium 2 (bought in March 1998) to a modern 2.8 Ghz Pentium 4. This machine screams in comparion and with the extra horsepower comes the ability to consder other services.

As usual, let me know if you notice anything unusual with The Board. I don't know about strange aches, fungi, or voices in your heard . :)
Last edited by DrSpooky on Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

There was a brief moment in between Drjoel and TheBoard when a mail came from Elvis. I got all excited.

Looking good and fast.

So Lack will miss the chat, but he can conduct his monologues offline all the same.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Site definitely seems more responsive. Nice work Doc!
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:Site definitely seems more responsive. Nice work Doc!
I am glad to hear that it seems that way to the outside world. I thought it would be more responsive and knew the machine was faster but didn't know if the internet delays would outweigh any server improvements.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yep, she's handling well. Congrats!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

FYI some of you are not getting emails on PMs and topic posts at the moment. You may or may not have noticed this. Sometime Sunday AM (0300 GMT), the server got tested and failed the spamhaus.org test. The failure was because I forgot to allow incoming mail connections at the firewall. I have resolved this and the test report this morning says we are OK but it will take about 24 hours for the spam site list to get updated again.

On a positive note, the notices from TheBoard do seem to get to their destination VERY quickly. My tests had them getting to my gmail account before I could switch windows and refresh. :)

Not too many bumps so far.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Users at the following domains will not get notifications until the spamhaus.org list is rebuilt overnight:

juno.com (sorry Spooky)
cox.net (you know who you are :)
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

After addressing a second configuration issue, we are no longer listed in spamhaus.org as a misconfigured mail server which is potentially a source of spam.

YEAH!!!
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Thanks for your hard work on the site Doc. It's humming along nicely.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I am one of those people who have in the past just taken it for granted that the board is here without realising just how much work the Doc, spooky and Blue put in.

Thanks for reminding me Doc - even if it is in language that is completely alien to me. :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?