Why can't we

Announcements and instructions regarding the board
Otis Westinghouse

Why can't we

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

have one of those fun little icons that appear next to the URL indicating the nature of our joint passion?

Here are two great examples:

http://expectingrain.com/discussion/vie ... e26a24936f

http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'll make sure Doc sees this, Otis. Sometimes we're just so busy that we don't get a chance to dress up the site as much as we would like.

On the plus side, there have been no crashes and no hackers for almost one year now. :)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Spooky, may we be able to be linked to from the main EC sites at some point?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

I have in the past emailed John E and asked him to include us in his links. I'm not sure why he never responded, because I have bounced email with him on various occasions and he has always answered back.

I suppose it's worth another try.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Now hear this, John E.

How about the folks at http://www.elviscostello.com ?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

or the trainspotters site? If we want that much exposure, that is - it might adversely effect the secret board elite for one thing...
Otis Westinghouse

Ta Spooky. Don't want to add to your/Doc's business, nor increase his stress levels, but presumably it's relatively quick and easy to do and would be fun. Is there a name for these icons? URLicons?
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

No problem, Otis. Will look into. :)

Boo, you have my permission to be the new site PR guy and promote us to be linked to any of the other EC related sites. :)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Spooky -

PR guy? Nice job offer, but first the site would have to be redesigned.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Well, since Doc and I both have full lives already, a complete site revamp is a bit out of the question. And even if I did have more free time, there are a hundred more places where that time could be spent.

PhPbb already has a basic setup, so there's not too much to add except for a few graphics here and there. I'm not even remotely interested in having anything like John E's site - I don't have the time or inclination for that. This is mainly a discussion forum, not an information site. We have excellent contributors here for the most part and the scoops and timely notifications we get here (thanks in large part to the Foyles) are top notch.
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

I think what we have here is just fine. Very functional and simple.

Thanks Spooky (& Doc)! :)
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Jehesus Spooky, wasn't trying to make some kind of demand of you.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Oh, I didn't mean it like that. Just that my time is rather short these days. I've been a bit stressed with the kids and all. :roll:
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I understand, dear. :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I say we get corporate sponsorship.

Elvis Costello Fans dot com is brought to you in association with...

There are excellent sites out there but to be honest a lot of the important stuff is reported here in one guise or another anyway. There are quite a few bits and pieces that are taken from this site and put on JohnE's site.

It would be nice if others joined us. If they want to they will come...
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

I think it is probably not the wisest to discuss very detailed specifics openly that are mere possibilities. But, if I were a host dealing with my own site and wanted to enhance it, I would adopt a pretty basic no-fuss approach that would not cost too much time or wasted effort. I would involve interested people privately (wouldn't have to be lots of people) by presenting them with a design draft for design changes (design=not just graphics or appearance but everything to do with how a site will best work - from maybe suggestions for site name, to how to best introduce newbies, and so on) asking for their input on very specific issues. The brainpower available is big and can be well harnessed with a good framework like a draft. Then, present an updated draft with what decisions were made and why since the last draft and so on (so people are involved in the process), till I felt I had covered well every practical concern. Having first-hand experience with design processes, I know there are always surprises - things that had not really been considered. There are always more possibilities. Then I would think about the graphics if I had to or when I had to... a relatively minor priority; I wouldn't be looking at tarting up my site's appearance so much as thinking about how it functioned. In comparison to the draft process, just asking someone what things they think would be good for the site, would not help provoke them into put their mind to it much. In short, what i would want for my site would be what its users as represented by the design team would collectively want, as it is seen to develop.

Spooky, I would be willing to co-ordinate a design team to apply something like that to this site. Obviously yourself (and the Doc) could have the final say on anything at the end of the process upon seeing the suggestions in the last draft.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

That's certainly worth considering. I had thought about it before but didn't act on it.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

Are you talking about having a "favico"? So that next to the URL in the top of the browser, there is a small icon? I did one for my free software. It is here: http://www.rtems.com/.

If someone submits one, it shouldn't take long to turn it on.

As far as other changes, if you have ideas and want to work on them, more power to you. A new computer has recently been purchased and setup for the site. I just haven't gotten things reayd to move to it. WHen we are on it, the computer running the site will be at least 10 times faster and we can support more.

Make suggestions and submit things.
Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

I think the site is fine as is, for the most part. Wouldn't mind a more vibrant color-scheme (or the option to choose your own). It would also be nice to have links on the homepage to related sites, such as the Frappr page BlueChair and RedShoes set up or even Being There, since so many of our regulars have contributed at one time or another. Those are about the only suggestions I would make - why mess with success?

BTW Doc, I can't see the favicon on the site you linked to. I find that sometimes these things show up in my browser address window and sometimes they don't - could be related to me using Safari rather than IE.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
RedShoes

Post by RedShoes »

Who Shot Sam? wrote:It would also be nice to have links on the homepage to related sites, such as the Frappr page BlueChair and RedShoes set up or even Being There, since so many of our regulars have contributed at one time or another.
As the marketing person for Being There - I'm all for this :wink:
alexv

Post by alexv »

Is our design a standard design? The reason I ask is that I went on the Marshall Cranshaw site, and they've redesigned it to look just like ours, right down to the color. I like our design, by the way.
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

Ok, Doc. I'll start on an initial rough draft/report.
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

WSS: I primarily use Mozilla or Firefox and the RTEMS favicon works with them. I just noticed it doesn't show up with IE so any hints would be appreciated on that technical issue. If someone has a design for a favico, then pass it along.

AlexV: The site is a standard Board Style in PhPBB language. We can change colors on this Board Style and we can load more Board Styles so people have the option of other Board Styles. There are a lot of them at http://www.phpbb.com/styles/ and when I looked a long time ago, I couldn't decide which to offer. I will start another management thread to let people post their reviews of different board styles. Those that look like people will use, we can install.
Otis Westinghouse

Same no show for RTEMS favicon (so they do have a name - I knew they would!) on my Safari too. Heaven knows how you make them work for all browsers. Obviously, the ones I cited above work on safari. I love the way this tiny little detail changes the feel of the cite as you get in there, and it makes your Bookmarks/favourites list so much more fun. Here's another good one:

http://www.littleoogie.com/

I wouldn't have a clue how to submit one, I'm afraid. Any similar enthusiasts who have the wherewithal to supply the good and kind Doc with such a thing?
miss buenos aires

Re: Why can't we

Post by miss buenos aires »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:have one of those fun little icons that appear next to the URL indicating the nature of our joint passion?

Here are two great examples:

http://expectingrain.com/discussion/vie ... e26a24936f

http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/
I have one of these for this site. It looks like a pink feather with a black spine. Is that not exciting enough?