Server Maintenance and Inactive Users Deleted

Announcements and instructions regarding the board
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Server Maintenance and Inactive Users Deleted

Post by DrSpooky »

8 September 2018

After some weirdness from squirrels eating the cables on the poles outside the house and some database damage which coincided with that, I think we had had unstable Internet for a few months from the damaged cables and it got went completely out last night. We had a great technician come out on a Saturday and very thoroughly check everything. I had some enough troubleshooting before he got here where he didn't even ask me to reboot anything. We went straight into double checking the cable modem and then replacing it before he climbed the pole.

I have restored a backup from 31 August. I hope not too many posts were lost. As part of doing this, I noticed that Spooky's complaint of not being able to keep up with spam user registrations was quite valid. There were over 16,000 user registration attempts in the past few months. Most were obviously spam being from domains which ended in .xyz and .top. A was careful to try to not accidentally delete any new/inactive user who had edited their profile or posted. I also changed the sign up question so you have to email the admin address for the answer. Apparently the question "who is Elvis' wife" was too easy for the spam monkeys.

Also the wiki had suffered a very minor bit of database damage that I quickly fixed after someone messaged me on Facebook with the exact error message.

Anyway, this much should all be in good shape for a while again.

As a final reminder, this is a labor of love with little community financial support. All volunteer moderation and administration.
verbal gymnastics

Re: Server Maintenance and Inactive Users Deleted

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Doc - thanks as ever.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

By the way, can I echo Doc’s final reminder.

Please donate towards running this site - if it wasn’t for this forum I’d never have met so many fans who have become firm friends and I’m sure I’m not the only person who can say that.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:By the way, can I echo Doc’s final reminder.

Please donate towards running this site - if it wasn’t for this forum I’d never have met so many fans who have become firm friends and I’m sure I’m not the only person who can say that.
PLEASE...a link right here for the paypal contributions might make it easy. I have been searching and can not locate it.
krm

Post by krm »

bronxapostle wrote:

PLEASE...a link right here for the paypal contributions might make it easy. I have been searching and can not locate it.

donate now - info here:
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/helpthesite.html
krm

Post by krm »

agree fully!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

DrSpooky wrote:As a final reminder, this is a labor of love with little community financial support. All volunteer moderation and administration.
Thanks as ever for all you and Spooky Girlfriend do to manage and maintain the Wiki and Fan Forum.

MOOT
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Thanks for all your efforts!!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.