Elvis/Allen play Atlanta , July 17

Pretty self-explanatory
DrSpooky
Site Admin

Post by DrSpooky »

I realized during the show that it has been 25 years since I first saw EC. I have seen him in many incarnations and each time I think the show I am at is the best ever. This show was no exception. :)

One thing I left the show with was that I am now sure that EC needs a horn section.

Spooky and I only got the tickets about noon from a broker. Using a broker was a first for both of us and it paid off nicely -- we had a great view of the piano. If only someone had turned on the air conditioning.

When we left Atlanta today, the van's thermometer said 109!!! That's right!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

spooky girlfriend wrote:To be truthful, I almost didn't even do a setlist - I said at the beginning of the show that I wasn't going to write anything down and I caved in because I've always done it.
Phew! You have to do a setlist or a review. It's the law :lol:
spooky girlfriend wrote:For people with 4 kids who rarely ever have the chance to do this kind of thing on a last minute basis, I am absolutely amazed that we pulled it off. Everybody who is a regular here knows that I don't get to act on a whim very often and the fact that I spent the evening with the man I loved celebrating 10 years of marriage watching our favorite artist from the front row means more than anything.

I left the evening breathless that we pulled it off and my thanks to all of you who pm'd me and posted me encouraging me to just "go". I will never regret it. The tour is almost over and I would shoot myself if I had missed it.
This is the type of thing that makes everything so wonderful. I remember "encouraging" ie nagging you to go to Nashville a few years ago - I recollect you had reservations about the journey. But you enjoyed it so much. Sometimes you just gotta do it. And to hear the Doc saying that each show seems to be the best you go to is so true. That's why I go as often as I can.

I'm so pleased for you spooky. And incredibly jealous that we won't get to see this show.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
migdd

Post by migdd »

Well, better late than never, I guess!

Personal circumstances almost thwarted our intentions to make it to this show and business circumstances have kept me from posting my account of the show until just now; however, neither this unexpected business travel nor tonight's storm that temporarily knocked out the wireless network here at the hotel can keep me away any longer.

Mrs. migdd and I arrived at our hotel in HOTlanta (and I mean HOT!) a mere 30 minutes prior to showtime. With almost no sleep the night before and almost no food since the previous day, we pounced on the massive supper club that is Chastain Park, and headed for the snack bar. Hot Dog or fruit and cheese tray for two? Back in our 3rd row sets, we gobbled up the fruit and cheese and politely disposed of the tray prior to the band taking the stage at precisely 7:40pm.

As the Imposters careened into What's So Funny 'Bout Peace, Love and Understanding, I was reflecting on the EC/Emmylou show that we attending almost exactly a year ago to the date - another even hotter night amongst the ever-rude, socializing Chastain crowd. Others have given their accounts of people munching all throughout the show, never acknowledging the fact that there was a hard-working band onstage giving their all. And it was distracting! There was a table not too far in front of us in which the ladies keeping their backs to the stage eating and chatting all night long, never once turning around to acknowledge the music. Didn't they ever learn it's impolite to eat in front of working folks??!!

The 6700-seat Park was half full, if that, and the crowd was mostly apathetic; however, there was a slow-burning fire erupting onstage that would have the place ablaze by the time the sun had set and have all but a stubborn few on their feet, swaying and dancing.

Elvis intorduced the Crescent City Horns and quickly segued into Monkey To Man. While Pete, Davey ad Steve provided the foundation and fuel, the horns supplied the melodic color that defined the rest of the night. Dancing and obviously having a great time, they kindled the spirit of fun that dominated the show and eventually got the crowd to it's feet later in the show. Near the end of MTM, Allen strolled onstage to polite applause that only hinted at the standing ovations he would receive once the haughty crowd was properly lubricated. It may as well have been voodoo. . .but the night was only begining!!

Next up came On Your Way Down, Tears, Tears and More Tears, A Certain Girl, familiarizing the crowd with a selection of Toussaint numbers before filtering in a few Costello chestnuts - all, as you well have heard by now, spruced up with fresh Toussaint horn arrangements. Bedlam turned into a quasi-jazz workout while Pete Thomas moved the song out of its rock idiom into uncharted territory. Easily one of the best rock drummers around, it's amazing to watch Pete drive the beat, his sticks nearly vanishing into thin air as he played - Bedlam indeed!

Another highlight was The Poisoned Rose, one of my favorite Costello compositions seldom heard live. The arrangement was delicate, a bit slower than the King Of America track but true to its original arrangement. This was the first vocal highlight for Elvis for the evening but far from the last. Much of River in Reverse filled the first two-thirds of the show and just about all of the songs took on new additional emotional power performed live. Elvis brought out the Bush "junior" action figure, much to the confusion of the crowd. Just about all of EC's between song banter revolved around the recording of RIR and the plight of New Orleans, keeping the audience as focused as possible on the emotional and geographic landscape of the music. The main set ended with a selection of Costello numbers - from Detectives to Pump It Up.

The single, long encore began with EC and Allen only onstage. Elvis watched from the shadows as Monsieur Toussaint demonstrated to the audience why the Steinway was invented. The Professor Lonhair Medley segued into Ascention Day and brought the first standing ovation of the night. The Elvis called Steve to the stage to contribute Hammond B3 to his and Allen's interpretation of Paul Simon's American Tune, which Elvis described and the most beautiful song ever written about America. Tonight, it was. With EC on acoustic guitar (playing a beautifully thought out part, rare for the man), Allen on Steinway and Steve on B3, the performance brought a strange quiet to the venue as crowd noise dissipated. The sun had set and the fire ignited. The blonde and brunette pussycats with their backs to the stage suddenly had no one to talk to. All other eyes were face forward.

I Can't Stand Up and High Fidelity broke the quiet and brought the crowd to its feet for the last time. For the next hour or so, dancing ensued!!!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Wait. . .I'm not done!!!!

After the one-two punch of the Get Happy numbers, EC and the band mercilessly would not allow the energy level to ebb or the audience to sit down. Wonder Woman kept the boogie flowing and even the gentle Alison/Tracks of My Tears kept the crowd swaying in what little breeze the balmy southern night would afford. Steve and Allen traded places for Clubland and it was fun to watch Allen chuckle with delight as Steve pounded the Steinway during some of the song's more arcane passages. It was evident throughout the evening how much Steve admired Allen's prowess at the keys, often watching from behind his B3 in awe as Allen did his thing. Clubland was a fun chance to turn the tables and let Steve shine.

Next up was The Greatest Love, on which Elvis prowled the stage, nailing every note (well just about!) and providing yet another vocal highlight. Elvis gestured "one more" and delivered five more starting with That's How You Got Killed Before. Yes We Can, Can, Shoo-Ra and Slippin' and Slidin' relentlessly motivated a tiring but energized crowd. Elvis even added an extended blistering, Berryesque note-perfect guitar solo to Slippin' and Slidin' which was amazingly played both in time and in key - another first for the man - magic was indeed in the air!!!

As expected, The Sharpest Thorn closed the set, revealing the toll the evening had taken on Elvis' voice. True but tired, the weariness in EC's voice was a perfect ending to an incredible night. Bringing the Crescent City Horns stage forward, flanking him on either side, Elvis invited the audience to join him for the ending lines. "Good night and God bless" and off the stage they strolled.

At two and three-quarter hours, it's hard to complain about the song selection. Was really looking forward to Six-Fingered Man, That Day is Done, International Echo and All These Things - all played at various points of the tour. But you just can't play everything in a single night. By the way, Spooky's setlist is pretty darned accurate from my recollection. Wonder Woman was played after High Fidelity and song 14 was Deep, Dark Truthful Mirror. Add the Professor Longhair Medley prior to Acsension Day and you pretty much have the setlist nailed!

I've probably seen Elvis live forty plus times since 1979 (at the Nashville War Memorial Auditorium during the Armed Funk Tour, just days after the notorious Columbus incident) and Dr. Spooky is correct in that, with a few exceptions, he just keeps topping himself. I never thought I'd witness a better evening of music than the Elvis/Emmylou date this time last year but tonight topped it in it's own way. Where can he possibly go from here??!!

I can't wait to find out.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks migdd - much appreciated.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bambooneedle

Post by bambooneedle »

migdd wrote:Where can he possibly go from here??!!

I can't wait to find out.
Australia, perhaps..? 8)

Thanks for the excellent review migdd.