Elvis solo Wilkes-Barre PA November 25, 2013

Post by FAVEHOUR »

The dates keep on coming...

http://www.kirbycenter.org/events/

Dave
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis solo Wilkes-Barre PA November 25, 2013

Post by bronxapostle »

wow...another EXPENSIVE one. close to home for you, yes FAVEDAVE???
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Preview:

Elvis Costello coming to Kirby Center

Elvis Costello’s first major set of headlining solo dates on the east coast in a decade will include a stop at the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts on Nov. 25 at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets go on sale Friday, Aug. 16 at 10 a.m. and can be purchased at the Kirby Center Box Office, online at http://www.kirbycenter.org or by phone at (570) 826-1100. A special Kirby Member Pre-Sale begins Wednesday, Aug. 14 at 10 a.m.

During his 40-plus year career, Costello has produced countless hit records, including Alison, Watching the Detectives, Radio Radio, Pump It Up, The Other Side of Summer, Everyday I Write the Book and Veronica. He has been nominated for numerous awards during his career with his bands the Attractions and the Imposters, and has performed collaborations with artists ranging from Burt Bacharach (with whom he won a Grammy in 1999) to the Beastie Boys.

The tour announcement follows news of Wise Up Ghost, the collaborative album from Costello and The Roots, out Sept. 17 on Blue Note Records. The album was produced by longtime Roots associate Steven Mandel along with Costello and ?uestlove.

Ticket Prices: $59, $79 and $95 (limited Pit Seating), plus applicable fees
Kirby Center.jpg
Kirby Center.jpg (53.57 KiB) Viewed 18266 times
http://citizensvoice.com/news/elvis-cos ... -1.1533769

A comment on this webpage reads: "Ticket prices are exorbitant for this area"

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Competition for tickets and a signed guitar !

http://wnep.com/2013/11/14/elvis-costel ... -giveaway/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Anybody got a spare tic for Morristown tomorrow night (11/26)??
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

https://www.facebook.com/FmKirbyCenter
Elvis' sound check is underway. When asked how long it will last, the tour manager said, "90 minutes to two hours. He likes to play." It sounds amazing. You should come to the show tonight.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Azmuda wrote:https://www.facebook.com/FmKirbyCenter
Elvis' sound check is underway. When asked how long it will last, the tour manager said, "90 minutes to two hours. He likes to play." It sounds amazing. You should come to the show tonight.

WOW, HECKUVA SOUNDCHECK! :lol: :lol: should be a BIG night!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://twitter.com/CallMeKP/status/405095719729905666
YOU GUYS. I'm one of three people in Elvis Costello's sound check. Sat down. He plays "Pardon Me Madam, My Name Is Eve". My heart popped.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i was thinking of this one and the 11-14 setlisted but not played SONG WITH ROSE just today. hope they come out
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

No setlist from a town stuck in the middle of nowhere? Bummer.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

MOJO wrote:No setlist from a town stuck in the middle of nowhere? Bummer.
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Who's going tomorrow? Anyone got an extra tic? (I know I asked already, but I really want to go)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Highway 81 Revisited ‏@Highway81Rvstd tweeted -

@ElvisCostello played a 2 hour 20 minute solo show at the @FMKirbyCenter tonight, including a 12-song (!) encore. Our review is forthcoming.

http://highway81revisited.com/
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/review ... -1.1591523

Review: Costello weaves spell for Kirby
By Kristen Gaydos (Staff Writer)

Give Elvis Costello a guitar, and he'll weave a spell destined to keep the audience captivated.

The musician kept it simple but stunning during a low key, intimate solo set Monday at the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts in Wilkes-Barre.

Wearing his signature hat and glasses, the Grammy-winning artist came out and got down to business as soon as the lights came down by belting out "Possession." Red, green and blue light columns dressed up the black backdrop, while signs reading "ON AIR" and "DETOUR" flanked Mr. Costello on stage. He then took the audience of almost 1,200 on a musical journey, with stops at deep cuts and hits from his two dozen-plus albums from a set list crafted on the spot.

Throughout the stripped-down set, he shared a steady stream of skillful strumming and poetic lyrics that demonstrated why he's spent more than 30 years on stages around the world.

For his second number, Mr. Costello went back to his 1979 album "Armed Forces" for a powerful rendition of "Accidents Will Happen," getting the audience to sing along at the end.

He continued his mesmerizing set with the slow, wistful "He's Got You," a take on the Hank Cochran-penned tune "She's Got You." The audience hushed as he played, responding with enthusiastic whistles and applause as the song ended.

Of course, the staples "Alison" and "Watching the Detectives," from "My Aim is True," highlighted the show, played to a reverential and appreciative audience that gave Mr. Costello a standing ovation after the main set. During the encore, he switched to the keyboard for "Almost Blue."

He kept up the amiable patter throughout the night, endearing himself to the audience. The singer/songwriter even complimented the Kirby Center's architecture.

"It's beautiful. You should keep it like it is now," he said.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

longer version:

Elvis Costello enchants audience at F.M. Kirby Center

By Kristen Gaydos (Staff Writer)

Published: November 26, 2013

Give Elvis Costello a guitar, and he'll weave a spell destined to keep the audience captivated.

The musical musician kept it simple but stunning during an low key, intimate solo set Monday at the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts in Wilkes-Barre.

Wearing his signature hat and glasses, the Grammy-winning artist came out and got down to business as soon as the lights came down by belting out "Possession." Red, green and blue light columns dressed up the black backdrop, while signs reading "ON AIR" and "DETOUR" flanked Costello on stage. He then took the audience of almost 1,200 on a musical journey, with stops at deep cuts and hits from his two dozen-plus albums from a set list crafted on the spot.

Throughout the stripped-down set, he shared a steady stream of skillful strumming and poetic lyrics that demonstrated why he's spent more than 30 years on stages around the world. For his second number, Costello went back to his 1979 album "Armed Forces" for a powerful rendition of "Accidents Will Happen," getting the audience to sing along at the end.

"You'll know all the words in this song. Feel free to do whatever you please," Costello said, sliding into "No Dancing" from his 1977 debut album, "My Aim Is True."

"I'm just going to sing anything that comes into my head tonight," Costello said, prompting audience members to shout out suggestions. "We'll have an opportunity later, don't you worry. We're going to have a jiving contest."

He continued his mesmerizing set with the slow, wistful "He's Got You," a take on the Hank Cochran-penned tune "She's Got You." The audience hushed as he played, responding with enthusiastic whistles and applause as the song ended.

Saying he had been thinking about fathers and daughters, he then gave the audience "You Little Fool," from the 1982 album "Imperial Bedroom." That criticism of a girl who waste herself "on a horrible brutish man like me" prompted Costello to write "Pony St.," a dialogue between a mother and a daughter from 1994's "Brutal Youth."

"I thought that was a pretty good riff," he said during "Living in Paradise," from the 1978 album "This Year's Model."

He followed that with "Pardon Me, Madam, My Name is Eve," a 2008 "Momofuku" track about, Costello said, "that awkward moment when the first wife meets the second wife - particularly if she doesn't know about it yet."

Of course, the staples "Alison" and "Watching the Detectives," from "My Aim is True," highlighted the show, played to a reverential and appreciative audience that gave Costello a standing ovation after the main set. During the encore, he switched to the keyboard for "Almost Blue."

Earlier in the night, Costello also shared a song he wrote with "a knight of the realm," Sir Paul McCartney, called "Mistress and Maid," restarting it charmingly when he didn't get the reaction he wanted. He kept up the quips throughout the evening, introducing a beautiful rearrangement of "Everyday I Write The Book" as a hit "that ruined his reputation as an embittered outsider."

"I'd like to introduce my special guest for the evening. It's me," he said, taking a seat at the front of the stage for a jaunty cover of "Walking My Baby Back Home," a major hit for Nat King Cole.

He kept up the amiable patter throughout the night, endearing himself to the audience. The singer/songwriter even complimented the Kirby Center's architecture.

"It's beautiful. You should keep it like it is now," he said.

kgaydos@citizensvoice.com, 570-821-2118
And No Coffee Table

Elvis Costello Plays Obscure Nuggets And Prime Cuts in Pennsylvania
Written by Jim Beviglia
November 26th, 2013 at 11:33 am

Early on in the evening at his solo stop at the F.M. Kirby Center in Wilkes-Barre, PA, Elvis Costello announced that he was going to play anything that popped into his head. He lived up to that promise, going deep into his seemingly boundless catalog for songs that even hard-core fans might have taken a few minutes to recognize.

For as much as he has strayed from style to style in his career, the consistency of excellence in his songwriting from the very beginning means that even a catch-all solo performance like Monday night’s becomes surprisingly seamless. He dusted off album cuts like “Green Shirt”, “No Dancing”, and “Blame It On Cain” from his earliest LP’s, and they sounded of a piece with later unheralded gems like “Pardon Me, Madam, My Name Is Eve” or “Stella Hurt.” He even unearthed the obscure MacManus/McCartney collaboration “Mistress And Maid” as a treat for the most fervid Elvis archaeologists.

Even though this was a solo show, Costello joked that he would be his own special guest for the night. It was his subtle way of saying that the performance would be more than just an acoustic troubadour kind of thing. A brief stop at the keyboard allowed him to knock “Almost Blue” and “Shipbuilding” out of the park, while his inventive use of effects pedals allowed him to render “Watching The Detectives” and “I Want You” with the same ferocity as their studio versions. And speaking of ferocity, his performance of “Come The Meantimes,” a song which appeared on his brilliant 2013 collaboration with The Roots Wise Up Ghost, proved that the man still does angry eloquence better than anyone.

Costello has always had a knack for finding somewhat unlikely cover songs and bending them to his will. On this night, he brought the house down early with an emotional reading of the Hank Cochran country ballad “He’s Got You” and later put some power pop bounce into “Big Boys Cry,” a 1963 single by Bobby Charles. Even “Walkin’ My Baby Back Home,” made most famous by Nat King Cole, was a tasty morsel in Costello’s all-encompassing musical stew.

Ever the gentleman, Costello kept his cool while a bunch of pinheads in the crowd started shouting out requests during his attempt to play a portion of “A Slow Drag With Josephine” off-mike. Such displays of uncivility are sadly part and parcel of the theater concert-going experience these days, but Costello rose above it, waiting for the shouts to die down before finishing the song with gusto.

To his credit, the final portion of the show was peppered with many of the chestnuts for which people had been calling (although Costello hilariously dismissed one particularly intrepid fellow’s requests for “She” with a terse “No chance.”) In that way, Elvis found a way to please just about everybody on a chilly night in Northeastern Pennsylvania. By the time he left the stage with the guitar feedback from “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace Love And Understanding?)” still ringing out, some 30 songs and two exhilarating hours or so after he opened up with “Possession” from Get Happy!, the hit-hunters and rarities-obsessed alike were standing in appreciation of this marvelous songwriter and performer currently at another peak in an already-towering career.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from wiki:

Setlist

01. Possession
02. Accidents Will Happen
03. No Dancing
04. He's Got You
05. Green Shirt
06. You Little Fool
07. Pony St.
08. Five Small Words
09. Living In Paradise / Domino
10. Pardon Me, Madam, My Name Is Eve
11. Blame It On Cain
12. Mistress And Maid
13. Come The Meantimes
14. Everyday I Write The Book
15. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
16. Stella Hurt
17. Watching The Detectives
18. One Way Love
19. Alison
Encore
20. Big Boys Cry
21. Almost Blue
22. Shipbuilding
23. Let's Put Out The Lights (And Go To Sleep)
24. Radio Soul
25. I Want You
26. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
27. A Slow Drag With Josephine
28. Veronica
29. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
30. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

WOW once more.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:WOW once more.

i'll say...the man is UNLEASHED!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Aside from One way love and Let's put out the lights which are, I think, new cover versions, is this the first time Pony Street has been played solo?

What with 13 steps also making its solo debut on this tour, perhaps there's going to be a Brutal Youth spot on the songbook in Japan...

...My aim is brutal; King of youth; Get Brutal; When I was brutal; or punch the youth(!)?

Feel free to add your own :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

verbal gymnastics wrote:is this the first time Pony Street has been played solo?
Yes, and the first time it was played at all since 1994.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Let's Put Out the Lights was played at Tanglewood with Marian McPartland in 2006.

Dave
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Just what is going on here??? I've never seen this kind of song play on the west coast. Bummer. Enjoy east coasters. I really should have gone home for Thanksgiving.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://psdispatch.com/news/local-news/1 ... B-audience

Costello’s vast songbook appeals to W-B audience

November 26. 2013 10:15PM

BRAD PATTON For The Times Leader

WILKES-BARRE — Elvis Costello doesn’t need much to keep an audience spellbound for a couple of hours.

No opening act, no backing band, no bells and whistles – no problem.

For one of his rare solo shows at the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts on Monday, all Costello had was his trademark black horn-rimmed glasses, a few guitars and – oh yeah – a collection of some of the greatest songs written over the past three-and-a-half decades.

At 7:42 p.m. Monday evening, Costello ran on to the stage wearing a dark suit and matching fedora, grabbed an acoustic guitar, shouted “How are ya!” to the crowd of 1,200 and dove head-first into his opening number, “Possession” from 1980’s “Get Happy!!” album.

The 2003 Rock and Roll Hall of Famer then quickly followed with one of his better-known tunes, “Accidents Will Happen” from 1979’s “Armed Forces,” and told the audience to “do whatever you please” before kicking into “No Dancing” from his 1977 debut “My Aim Is True.”

“I’m just gonna sing anything that comes into my head tonight,” the 59-year-old singer-songwriter said after the third song. He then treated the crowd to a mesmerizing version of Hank Cochran’s “He’s Got You” (made famous as “She’s Got You” by Patsy Cline).

After a great romp through “Green Shirt” (from “Armed Forces”) and “You Little Fool” (from 1982’s “Imperial Bedroom”), Costello admitted to nicking the riff from Van Morrison’s “Domino” for “Living In Paradise” (another tune from “Armed Forces”), brilliantly weaving the two songs together.

“It’s a real pleasure to be here,” he said early in the evening, giving props to both the Kirby Center and Wilkes-Barre native Joseph L. Mankiewicz. “To be where the man who produced ‘Citizen Kane’ (perhaps confusing Joseph with his older brother, Herman, who co-wrote the 1941 masterpiece with Orson Welles) and wrote ‘All About Eve’ is from, I thought I better have my wits about me.”

Mellowed with age

He may not be quite as angry as he used to be, but Costello still displayed his rapier wit throughout the show. He introduced “Mistress and Maid,” one of the songs he co-wrote with Sir Paul McCartney (from McCartney’s 1993 album “Off The Ground”), as “a song I wrote with a knight of the realm.”

Costello then introduced his first minor U.S. hit “Everyday I Write The Book” by saying, “Now I’m going to sing a song I hate. I wrote it in about 10 minutes and it almost became a hit and ruined my reputation as an embittered outsider.”

He then played the song that topped out at No. 36 in 1983 in a new arrangement he learned from his “second favorite Canadian” Ron Sexsmith. (Presumably his wife, chanteuse Diana Krall, would be the first.)

After a nifty detour into the 1930s standard “Walking My Baby Back Home,” complete with a whistling solo, Costello brought the main set to a close with “Alison,” his second-ever single from 1977 and perhaps his most famous song (it was voted No. 318 of the “500 Greatest Songs of All Time” by Rolling Stone magazine).

Returning to the stage less than a minute later, Costello then played a dozen songs as his encore, including gorgeous versions of “Almost Blue” and “Shipbuilding” on electric piano, a reworked “Radio, Radio” with its original lyrics and two tunes from 2010’s “National Ransom” album, “A Slow Drag with Josephine” (including a section off-microphone that had to be delayed while the crowd yelled out requests) and “Jimmie Standing in the Rain,” which segued into a brief a cappella version of “Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?”

And then perhaps surprisingly, he took requests, including “Veronica” (another song co-written with McCartney and Costello’s biggest hit in the U.S. to date) and “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes.”

He then concluded the stellar show with “What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding” on electric guitar, proving you don’t need a backing band to rock out.