Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis Costello and The Imposters play McLaren, Jan 27 '13

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
Heats101

Re: Elvis Costello and The Imposters play McLaren, Jan 27 '1

Post by Heats101 »

Yep we will be there following hot on the heels of our Melbourne excursion. But we have had to go "cheap" accordingly due to family budget constraints (bog standard ground admission tickets only). However it is only 30 minutes down the road for us and the Winery and location are beautiful. Its actually the day of my birthday and we have a public hoilday here the following day,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so I WILL be enjoying myself.
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere
migdd

Post by migdd »

Have fun and please report on your experiences!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
Elvis Costello - nice to see and hear you rocking ‪@adayonthegreen ‪pic.twitter.com/aZ1g8THK‬
Ok. Apparently Elvis Costello on now. Sounds boring to me ‪#adayonthegreen‬
Watching the Detectives - Elvis Costello ‪#dayonthegreen‬ ‪#adelaide‬ ‪http://pic.twitter.com/iUeb6Cg4
@dayonthe green Elvis Costello is great but never got what an amazing guitarist he is. Sundown on the vines with 4000 loving i this is SA !
Brilliant Oliver's Army followed by Pump it Up - Elvis Costello ‪@adayonthegreen_‬ ‪#dayonthegreen‬ ‪http://pic.twitter.com/ad3YoKhq
Crowd going off ‪@adayonthegreen_‬ ‪@leconfieldwines‬ ‪http://pic.twitter.com/k7deqfND
‪@ElvisCostello‬ appreciate its not a full set but 80 mins? I saw you in Liverpool in may 2012 and you did nearly 3 hours. ‪#dayonthegreen‬
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Set List as follows;

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio
Every Day I Write the Book
Either Side Of The Same Town
(I Dont Want To Go To) Chelsea
Less Than Zero
Song With Rose
Man Out Of Time
Watching The Detectives
Turpentine
Clubland
Alison
Out Of Time
Olivers Army
Pump it Up
(Whats So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love And Understanding

My review to follow shortly !
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

Expectation beforehand was low due to my understanding of the likely constraints (reduced timeslot) and output (probably a greatest hits package) of this kind of show. Plus how could it better the Melboune Spinning Song Book show of two nights before.

HOWEVER despite being all of the above I was very pleasantly surprised.The casual EC fan/general music fan or even those there more for the all Aussie support acts were richly rewarded with fine renditions of the "Hits of Yesteryear." For the likes of myself I got a few suprises even within the limits of this setlist. First and foremost "Less Than Zero" !!!!! was a complete but highly satisfying surprise and its playing amused my Wife as I was not able to name the song immediately after the opening chords (as I normally do with most others!). Likewise "Song With Rose" was a delight and I also learned how the song was so named. The collaboration with Roseanne Cash could not be titled too easily so they just came up with............. "Song With Rose "( brilliant logic !) More Momufuku followed albeit with a slighty messy "Turpentine". A jazzed up "Clubland" recovered the situation and maintained the momentum of the concert. Then "Out Of Time" got the Crowd ( 4 to 5,000 ?) in singing along mode prior to the final onslaught of "Olivers" ( again - but better than Melbourne) "Pump It Up" and "PLU". And then that was it................. even though the audience wanted more. Strictly no encores/extension of time.

There was criticism from some that he did not engage with the audience too much ( which was true in comparison to his Napoleon/Song Book personna.) However for me when you only have 75 minutes then I much prefer the music to the chat in such circumstances.

It was my birthday I was on a high still from Melbourne, the venue and location setting were top notch and I was seeing my all time musical hero in the company of an appreciative audience ( oh and my Wife !)

Bliss indeed.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Another great account - thanks! What kind of merchendise is selling at these shows, t-shirt with tour dates etc.?
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

Any Aussie tapers out there? It's been strangely quiet
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

johnfoyle wrote:Another great account - thanks! What kind of merchendise is selling at these shows, t-shirt with tour dates etc.?
You are welcome.

At A Day On The Green the merchandise was quite extensive.
The Elvis specific stuff was as follows (basically 3 T shirts.)The My Aim Is True pose ( predominatly red ) on creme T shirt with all the Aussie/NZ dates on the back (a must have acquisition !) Also a black T shirt with green Less Than Zero ( in capitals) and then a silver T shirt with the famous black and white picture of Elvis with headphones on looking rather vacant ( both with no tour dates on back.)
There was also a lot of generic Day OnThe Green stuff ( T shirts/stubbie holders/hats and past perfomers compilation CDs.)

At Mellbourne there was additionally a cheesy Spinning Song Book T shirt which did not take my fancy unfortunately. And a similar looking A3 tour poster.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Great set of 19 photos here by A & K photography...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_kphotogr ... 672987617/

Is Davey trying to look all Harry Worth?
Davey Faragher,  McLaren Vale, 27 January 2013
Davey Faragher, McLaren Vale, 27 January 2013
Davey McLaren 2013-01-27.jpg (111.64 KiB) Viewed 10116 times
MOOT