Elvis and the Imposters, Pittsburgh PA June 16, 2011

Pretty self-explanatory
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Elvis and the Imposters, Pittsburgh PA June 16, 2011

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Can anyone suggest an affordable travel route from Nashville?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Any winners here?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Singer-songwriter Megan McCormick tweets:
I'm opening for Elvis Costello tomorrow in Pittsburg!!!!
An article about McCormick includes this:
According to her manager James Del Balzo, former senior vice president of promotion at Columbia Records and now owner of Jim Del Balzo Entertainment, you can catch her on “The CBS Morning News Show” on Saturday.

“The only thing I can add is that I made a promise to myself two years ago that I was no longer interested in signing unsigned artists to my management company,” said Del Balzo, whose client list includes John Mellencamp, Elvis Costello and LL Cool J. “I saw Megan once and was convinced that I had to work with her. She is a unique talent. There is no better way to describe her.”
And No Coffee Table

Twitter:
"rise, robots rise" as @ElvisCostello enters the stage. #ihopeyourehappynow
Elvis Costello is slamming through the 1st five songs, including Mystery Dance, Radio Radio and Uncomplicated/Shotgun
migdd

Post by migdd »

He really needs to mix up that 5-song opener a bit.
And No Coffee Table

Yeah, it's strange that there's so little variety in the opening.
Stopped raining here at Elvis Costello show and he just did "Spooky Girlfriend". I'm happy.
queenofthefleapit

Post by queenofthefleapit »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Yeah, it's strange that there's so little variety in the opening.
Stopped raining here at Elvis Costello show and he just did "Spooky Girlfriend". I'm happy.
I think the opening numbers are punchy, flow well and get the crowd really involved. If those songs got the Wolftrap crowd going, they have to be doing something right. And yay for Spooky Girlfriend!
migdd

Post by migdd »

Kudos for Spooky Girlfriend (yay, M!) but he could definitely replace Unconstipated with something else. Man Out of Time, maybe. Or Shabby Doll.
And No Coffee Table

I Don't Want to Go to Chelsea
The wheel landed on Time!! So, 'Clowntime is Over' 'Strict Time' 'Man out of Time' 'out of time' Elvis rules!
And No Coffee Table

Elvis Costello ends show with "Substitute" by The Who, "Watching the Detectives" and a downright mean "I Want You". Marvelous!
Not much live-tweeting in Pittsburgh!
And No Coffee Table

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 42613.html

Review: Talented Costello keeps crowd thrilled

By Rege Behe, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 16, 2011

There are not many performers who can start a concert with the force of a locomotive, slow the pace almost to a crawl, and still keep an audience rapt.

Elvis Costello did just that Thursday night at the Trib Total Media Amphitheatre in an eclectic performance that only a talent like Costello can pull off.

The show opened with a roar, Costello and his band the Imposters ripping through high-octane versions of "I Hope Your Happy Now," Nick Lowe's "Heart of the City," "Mystery Dance," "Blood and Chocolate" and "Radio, Radio."

Most performers would go for the jugular at that point. Costello instead donned a top hat, adopted his Napoleon Dynamite persona and turned the proceedings into a sideshow.

"There will be songs about love, about sex, about death, about dancing, but not necessarily in that order, " he said. Stage right the Spectacular Spinning Songbook, a garishly appointed roulette wheel featuring 40 songs, was spun by audiences members, who were then invited to have a drink at an onstage bar called the Society Lounge, or dance in a go-go cage, where a dancer had been gyrating.

The concept got off to a shaky start with a rambling, unfocused version of "You Tripped at Every Step."

But the momentum that was lost by the change of pace was more than compensated for by Costello's sharp wit and a band - keyboardist Steve Nieve, bassist Davey Faragher and especially drummer Pete Thomas (brilliant all evening) -- nimble and dextrous enough to change directions at the whim of the wheel. "Every Day I Write the Book" led to "Pump It Up" which begat "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down."

The wheel landed on some rare gems, notably "Silky Girl" and "Party Girl."

All of the audience participants were female -- including an adorable 11-year-old named Lily -- save one guy named Jack from Cleveland who was greeted with a round of boos. He also admitted he skipped out from work to attend the show. Guess what Jack? You're busted, but perhaps his song, "Spooky Girlfriened" was compensation enough.

After a short break, Costello emerged in a plaid jacket and performed acoustic, winsome versions of "A Slow Drag with Josephine" and "Jimmie Standing in the Rain" before the Imposters rejoined him on stage.

The highlight was "Alison," his masterpiece of heartache, in which he snuck snippets of "Tracks of My Tears, " "Tears of a Clown," "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "A Place for Us."

How many performers would dare try that, let alone do it with effortless grace?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11168/1154396-100.stm

John Heller /Post-Gazette
Elvis Costello on stage on the southside.

Elvis Costello's Spinning Songbook is a win-win

Music Review
Friday, June 17, 2011

By Scott Mervis , Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's hard to imagine any other musician in the world playing the show that Elvis Costello did at the Trib Amphitheater Thursday night.

While donning several fedoras -- one of them a dashing leopard number -- Elvis wore any variety of hats, including game show host, carnival barker, standup comic, balladeer, guitar hero and sneering punk rocker.

At one point he even jumped into the antique go-go dancer cage with the girls!

The occasion was the Spinning Songbook Tour, on which pieces of the setlist are left to chance. To Elvis' left was a giant wheel of fortune stocked with 40 song titles, concepts or Joker spots. Fans, mostly willing young women, were plucked from the audience with the pressure of spinning the wheel and determining the song.

But first, Elvis and the Imposters hit the stage in brash late '70s mode slamming through five songs, starting with a desperate-sounding "I Hope You're Happy Now," the frantic "Mystery Dance," "Radio Radio" and an "Uncomplicated" whose percussive ending couldn't help but lead them into Junior Walker's "Shotgun." Adding to the spectacle was a Rihanna look-alike writhing in the go-go cage.

Then, Elvis ran off, changed and returned in the guise of game-show host Napoleon Dynamite, promising "songs about love, songs about sex, songs about death, and dancing, but not necessarily in that order." The first spin, in the rain, from Katie, came up on the "You Tripped At Every Step," and so it went, with "Every Day I Write the Book" from Haley, and old frat-rock fave "Pump it Up" (a Joker "request" spin from Amy).

Spinners had the choice dancing the cage or sitting at the lounge with the sexy blonde hostess for what Elvis called a "fine colored drink." Fortunately, Jack from Cleveland, who hit the Joker and requested "Spooky Girlfriend," chose the latter, while the Imposters (including brilliant Attractions keyboardist Steve Nieve and drummer Pete Thomas) ventured into the twisted, dissonant love song from "When I Was Cruel."

Elvis' own spin brought up "Party Girl," the old torchy ballad that shows off a voice that's lost none of its power over his 35-year career. Same goes for "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstand," tacked onto the end of "Sulky Girl."

At times, Elvis veered away from the wheel, like on the lovely "All Grown Up," with Nieve flashing some of his most lyrical playing. Just past the midway point, with the rain stopped, Elvis came back in a new guise, decked out in plaid, for his old-timey acoustic swing takes on "Slow Drag with Josephine" and "Jimmie Standing in the Rain."

If somehow you weren't blown away yet, "Alison" had to do it, wherein he connected the dots between that ballad and "Tears of a Clown," "The Wind Cries Mary," "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and "There's a Place for Us."

All evening, I had my fingers crossed for "Time" and it came up (!), giving us an exquisite "Clowntime is Over," the cinematic "Man Out of Time," go-go crazy "Strict Time" and Elvis, now in green-gold lame, covering the Stones on "Out of Time." After raging through "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding," the Imposters also hit The Who for "Substitute."

Just when you thought Elvis had to be out of energy and out of colors, he went reggae-noir on "Watching the Detectives," complete with nasty guitar solo, and then even darker, making our skin crawl as he spit every line of the betrayal ballad "I Want You."

In the end, we were all winners of the Spinning Songbook, lucky to witness an artist who, through the course of two and a half hours and 30 songs, managed to be charming, funny, nimble, disturbing and very rock 'n' roll.

Scott Mervis: smervis@post-gazette.com; 412-263-2576.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

And No Coffee Table wrote:http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 42613.html

The concept got off to a shaky start with a rambling, unfocused version of "You Tripped at Every Step."

But the momentum that was lost by the change of pace was more than compensated for by Costello's sharp wit and a band - keyboardist Steve Nieve, bassist Davey Faragher and especially drummer Pete Thomas (brilliant all evening) -- nimble and dextrous enough to change directions at the whim of the wheel. "Every Day I Write the Book" led to "Pump It Up" which begat "I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down."

The wheel landed on some rare gems, notably "Silky Girl" and "Party Girl."
Ha, ha, Silky Girl.

I'd like to hear the version of "You Tripped at Every Step," or at least what others thought of it.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I decided to go to this one, and I'm sorry, I don't write down setlists but here is an approximation, with notes

First off, what a terrible venue. I thought this was a relatively new shed, a better place to play than the Palumbo Center EC complained about before. It was a parking lot with a stage at the end of it! It looked like the county fair. It was raining intermittently before and during the show, and there was no roof. So it was very wet. The crowd, however, was very enthusiastic and game despite the weather (and probably because they were pretty drunk), so I think EC gave us some extra effort for our trouble.

Hope You're Happy
Heart of the City
Mystery Dance
Uncomplicated/Shotgun
Radio Radio

You Tripped at Every Step
First spin. I was very happy to hear this, haven't heard it since 1994. I thought it was fine. Davey's backing vocals really help this song, and he was great all night.

I think I'm forgetting something here, or getting the order wrong. But a spinner came up with a quieter song and she asked Elvis to move the wheel one more space to:

Everyday I Write the book

Pump it Up (regular version)

This was joker selection. Unlike Wolf Trap, EC went for the standard rendition tonight, probably to keep the wet crowd happier.

I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down

Elvis just played this one impromptu. It might have been later in the set.

Spooky Girlfriend

requested by I think the only guy who got to go onstage, chosen for his "ASSMAN" T shirt. He got a joker jackpot, and chose this even thought it wasn't on the wheel.

Party Girl

The "girl" jackpot came up, and he only did this song before the next spin. The coda was really drawn out, and Davey got to sing the high "time" refrain about a dozen times. It was great.

The next spin ended up being Sulky Girl, continuing the girl theme, and it was spun by a little girl, who requested So Like Candy.

Sulky Girl
So Like Candy/Misunderstood

Monkey to Man

Chelsea

Guitar troubles during this one, and Elvis went out into the audience to sing most of it! I was third row aisle, and I tell you to have him singing "All the kids begin to plaaaaaaay" right next to me was a trip!

All Grown Up

Another amazing one. Elvis just called an audible on this one, and did this amazing rendition, standing mostly at the stairway that goes to the Wheel. Really incredible.

Josephine
Jimmie/Brother
Alison/Tracks/Tears/Wind Cries Mary/Rainbow/Somewhere
God's Comic
Clowntime is Over
Strict Time
Man out of Time
Out of Time

These kind of all ran together, he stayed in the plaid jacket and white hat for a while, I think he ran off while Steve did the intro to Clowntime, and changed into the gold lame and leopard skin.

PLU
Substitute

Thought it was over, but then kept going with really intense versions of

Detectives
I Want You

Quite a show. Terrible setting, but a great show. Very surprised not to hear Purple Rain or Rain given the weather!

Dave
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Oh, and it started at 830, ended 1055.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Fab. pic. from last nights show -

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 42613.html

Elvis Costello performs at the Trib Total Media Amphitheater on Jun. 16, 2011.
(Chris Langer | Tribune-Review)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Mystery Dance / uncomplicated / A slow Drag With Josephine : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOfyyvTsjzA
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11174/1155520-437.stm
Feedback letter: Great PR for Elvis

To Scott Mervis, regarding that Elvis Costello review (June 18): When Elvis Costello took the stage, I had a vision of the 1965 Beatles show at Shea Stadium with the young girls jumping up and down, crowding the barricade and crying/swooning/fainting. I suppose a music critic is not immune to those emotions.

Seriously, if I were E.C.'s PR guy I would be worried about my job after reading that review. The effusive praise would make Elvis' mom blush. If you wrote that review in Vermont, you and Elvis would be considered legally married. The newspaper Pravda was harder on the old Soviet Commies than you were on Elvis.

Is there anything that he could ever do to disappoint you -- outside of never bringing his pure magic back to the 'Burgh?

The good news is that you can write your "Best Concert of the Year" article this week. Elton John, U2, Def Leppard, Journey, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, etc., need not apply. By the way, since objectivity is a negotiable concept when it comes to favorite bands, can I write the next Van Halen review?

I will give credit: A 2 1/2-hour show, song wheels and changing set lists are all fun things -- something I wish VH would try.

Ultimately, I am glad that Mr. Mervis had a great time. One of the best things about summer is seeing one of your favorite bands outdoors, especially when they play older songs that aren't necessarily the "hits."

-- Lewis Reagan, Regent Square