Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Cactusfestival (Belg.), Jul 10, 2010

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Cactusfestival (Belg.), Jul 10, 2010

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/2590/Festi ... ival.dhtml

Elvis and the Sugarcanes will play at the Cactusfestival in Bruges (Belgium) on July 10.

Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes, Macy Gray en Tori Amos komen naar het Cactusfestival 2010. Dat hebben de organisatoren bekendgemaakt.

Elvis Costello komt op de eerste festivaldag, 10 juli, langs met zijn nieuwe semi-akoestische begeleidingsband The Sugarcanes. R&B-ster Macy Gray maakt een dag later haar opwachting met een elfkoppige band. Ook de Amerikaanse Tori Amos staat op 11 juli op de affiche. (belga/tw)

Het Cactusfestival vindt plaats van 10 tot 12 juli in het Minnewaterpark in Brugge. De voorverkoop start op 26 april.

http://www.cactusfestival.be/
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Re: Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Cactusfestival (Belg.), Jul 10,

Post by sweetest punch »

Anyone going (besides me)?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

I'm going to the Cactus Festival. I'm going to the North Sea Jazz festival the next day as well.

I know two other people who are also going to see EC at the Cactus Festival. So that makes 4, so far.
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
frank

Post by frank »

My daughter is going. I'm not, just can't stand the crowd... the age (46) I suppose...
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

I'm 46!
--Paul--
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

This radiostation is covering the Cactusfestival: http://www.radio1.be/programmas/exit/
You can listen live. There is a chance that they will air a part of EC's performance.
frank

Post by frank »

For those who are online: listzn now to radio 1: http://internetradio.vrt.be/radiospeler ... qsbrand=11

Frank.
CraigatCoF

Post by CraigatCoF »

EC is on the radio now! Doing I Want You, Sulphur to Sugarcane.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://users.telenet.be/piet.vercaempst ... stello.htm

Google translation -

( extract)

That sky burst open during the performance of Elvis Costello and his Sugar Canes. The rain splashed on our heads, while splashing the seven musicians on stage. A sublime set of songs were acoustically iron guitars, banjo, bagpipes and altbas finely frayed at their core. Truly sublime. Unforgettable.

http://www.standaard.be/artikel/detail. ... bsection=4

Google translation of extract

The biggest name last night was certainly Elvis Costello. After a half hour search we find someone to do a Costello shirt. A fan. And what kind. John Pickering from London follows Costello anywhere in Britain. "I'm a fan since his first album in 1977," he says. "Meanwhile, I gave him about 20 times seen live. The last time he came to us act, I missed him, because I had tickets to the great group Gandalf Murphy And The Slambovian Circus of Dreams. Reason that I came to Bruges to see Elvis. "
frank

Post by frank »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Aprox.setlist:
Complicated Shadows
Blame It On Caine
Down Among The Wines And Spirits
New Amsterdam/Hide Your Love Away
A Good Year For The Roses
Brilliant Mistake
Red Shoes
The Delivery Man
Jimmy Standing In The Rain
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Friend of The Devil
Everyday I Write The Book
Don't Lie To Me
---------
I Want You
Sulphure To Sugarcane
Happy

(note after editing: after some consideration I have changed places with "A Good Year..." and "Brilliant Mistake".)
Last edited by sweetest punch on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://knackfocus.rnews.be/nl/entertain ... 345927.htm

23:24 Something’s gotta give. Slechts één verlangen, één hoop, één smeekbede viel omstreeks de klok van tien op de gezichten van de festivalgangers af te lezen. Na een middelmatige eerste dag en een bloedeloze tweede moest en zou er iets gebeuren. Dus: something’s gotta give, right?

Die ultieme hoop op een soort muzikale aha-erlebnis viel daarnet pardoes op de tere schouders van een oude Britse man met een mal hoedje op. Maar guess what: de oude man maakte in nauwelijks anderhalf uur tijd onze halve dag goed. Elvis Costello saved the day.

Voor de hand liggend was dat allerminst. Costello had The Sugarcanes meegebracht, de begeleidingsgroep waarmee hij een potpourri van sounthern country, Keltische folk en gypsy jazz ten gehore brengt. Liefst anderhalf uur lang volhardde hij in die stijloefening: op rockers als ‘Pump It Up’ of ‘Less Than Zero’ moesten we niet rekenen. Als Elvis al eens een klassieker in stelling bracht, werd die meteen een bijpassend jasje aangemeten. Zo kwam ‘Blame It On Cain’ ons als pure country & western tegemoet en klonk ‘Everyday I Write The Book’ plots als een crooner.

Overigens viel tijdens ’s mans passage de regen met bakken uit de lucht. Overal gingen paraplu’s open en werden boven de hoofden plastieken zakken doorgegeven, ons zicht op het podium herleidend tot nul. Anderhalf uur lang kregen we klank zonder beeld – alsof we samen met een paar duizend andere mensen naar een transistorradio stonden te luisteren. Niet wat we ons op voorhand bij deze Cactus hadden voorgesteld, maar hey: u moest eens weten hoe snel een naar deugdelijke muziek snakkende rockjournalist bereid is zich daarnaar te schikken.

Lot's of photo's: http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/1010/Muzie ... nhee.dhtml

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

A short review after returning from the Cactusfestival.
The Sugarcanes are incredible. The audience recordings that i've heard, can't capture what you experience when you see and hear that band play. Elvis was in fine form and worked hard to win the audience over.
During "The Delivery Man" it started to rain heavily. But most of us stayed in the rain to hear the rest of the concert.
The two new songs "Jimmy Standing In The Rain" (how appropriate) and "A Slow Drag With Josephine" drew a big applause.
"I Want You" is Elvis's best known song here in Belgium - it's even a popular wedding song !?! So that song couldn't be missing from the setlist. And indeed, it was the first encore. The Sugarcanes dit a great job on it.
After 90 minutes, it was over with a rocking version of Happy.

Highlights: a brilliant "Brilliant Mistake", an heartbreaking "A Good Year For The Roses", girls in bikini in the rain singing along with the chorus of "Josephine". Also "Friend Of The Devil" blew me away. And "Don't Lie To Me" was a great singalong.

Sadly, something went wrong with my minidisc-recorder, so I only managed to record 5 songs. :cry:
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

It rained a hell of a lot, but we hung in there! I agree that hearing The Sugarcanes live is the only way to really hear them. "Jimmy Standing in the Rain" is an amazing song, as good as anything EC has ever done.

EC wowed the Cactus crowd - it turned out better than expected (except for the torrential rain).
--Paul--
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/1011/Conce ... ival.dhtml

Elvis Costello & The Sugarcanes op Cactus Festival
***** (five stars)

Rock-’n-roll anno 1921

Geef jouw beoordeling Hoewel de regen met bakken uit de hemel bleef vallen, slaagde niemand erin om die beate grijns van onze tronie te vegen. Reden voor zoveel arbeidsvreugde? Elvis Costello. Die besliste om een onnozele, witte canotier op zijn hoofd te zetten, een legertje uitstekende huurlingen op te trommelen (met speciale vermelding voor gitarist Jim Lauderdale) en zich een uurtje onledig te houden met bluegrass, gipsy jazz en americana.

Daarnaast was ook de mariachitoets in 'Blame it on Cain' niet te versmaden, terwijl 'Slow Drag with Josephine' zowat ongegeneerd aanschurkte tegen vaudeville. "Dit is hoe we rock-'n-roll voorstelden in 1921", grijnsde de Britse songsmid nog ter aankondiging.

'New Amsterdam' legde het eerder dan weer knap aan met 'You've Got to Hide Your Love away' van de Beatles.

Niet alleen wij konden dit smaken, ook u bleek duidelijk in de ban van Costello: 'Red Shoes' en een grandioos 'Good Year for the Roses' koersten dankzij een massale samenzang naar een hoogtepunt. De plotse stortbui liet u ook niet aan uw hart komen tijdens 'The Delivery Man', de Grateful Deadcover 'Friend of the Devil' of het gloednieuwe en toepasselijk getitelde 'Jimmie Standing in the Rain' met gipsyviool.

Dat het gekwelde liefdesnummer 'I Want You' net zo goed door fiedelende zigeuners onder handen genomen leek, kon ons daarna zelfs niet meer deren. (Gunther Van Assche)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Bezrodny

Post by Bezrodny »

In my humble opinion, best show EVER--and not just of Costello's! Man, madness is what it was. EC: God! We were standing second row, and he even got the 14 yo girls in front of us to dance, swing and shake their asses off (and no way they'd know and/or care for a 55 yo guy playing cowboy music). The rain: awesome! It got everyone to go berserk; EC totally went nuts 'cause of that! World Class. Unbelievable.
Every Elvis has his army.
Ypsilanti

Post by Ypsilanti »

Welcome, Bezrodny!
So I keep this fancy to myself
I keep my lipstick twisted tight
Bezrodny

Post by Bezrodny »

Oh hey, thanks! :D
Every Elvis has his army.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Delivery Man (partial): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92INSwX4JR4
A Good Year For The Roses (partial): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0TuXKEUCM4
Blame It On Caine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr_uzZmoI-Y
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.cuttingedge.be/music/gigs/23 ... 2010-dag-2

Tijd voor de jaarlijkse traditie op het Cactusfestival dan: legendes. Elvis Costello (*****) werd met zijn Sugarcanes niet eens als hoofdact gepresenteerd maar dat kon niemand deren. De regen kletste ondertussen met bakken uit de lucht, maar geen fan die daarvoor zijn halve vierkante meter verliet. Het hek ging helemaal van de dam tijdens 'Every day I write the book' en encore 'I want you'. Even leek het niet meer duidelijk of het nu traande tussen de regen door of regende tussen de tranen door.
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

Elvis' official website now has a review of this show. The review is a translation of the Flemish review quoted earlier by sweetest punch:

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/news/Cac ... in+1921/62

Cactus Festival, Belgium- Rock'n'Roll in 1921

Rock’n’roll in 1921
Saturday, 9.45 pm

Despite the persistent rain falling by the bucketful, no one could wipe the blissful grins from our faces. And the reason for our joy? Elvis Costello. He chose to wear a silly, white boater, assembled a band of superb guns-for-hire (with guitarist Jim Lauderdale deserving special mention) and entertained himself with bluegrass, gypsy jazz and Americana for an hour.

Furthermore, the mariachi keyboards in ‘Blame it on Cain’ were hard to resist, while ‘Slow Drag with Josephine’ sidled unabashedly up towards vaudeville. “This is what rock’n’roll sounded like in 1921,” was how the British songsmith introduced the song with a grin.
Earlier on, ‘New Amsterdam’ flirted beyond belief with the Beatles’ ‘You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away’.

We weren’t the only ones to savour it: the audience was also clearly under Costello’s spell. ‘Red Shoes’ and a magnificent ‘Good Year for the Roses’ brought proceedings to a climax with en-masse singing. Even the sudden downpour failed to dampen spirits during ‘The Delivery Man’, the Grateful Dead cover ‘Friend of the Devil’ or the brand new and appropriately-titled ‘Jimmie Standing in the Rain’ featuring gypsy violin.

The fact that the anguished love song ‘I Want You’ seemed to be handled equally well by the fiddling gypsies could not even bother us any more.
--Paul--
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & The Sugarcanes, Cactusfestival (Belg.), Jul 10, 2010

Post by Man out of Time »

Extract in Dutch from a review of the Cactus Festival in Gonzo circus magazine (Belgian)

"Het is heden ten dage bijna onmogelijk om je Elvis Costello nog voor te stellen als de venijnige punk van weleer. Met de leeftijd wordt zijn muzikaal palet alsmaar breder, en blijkt hij meer dan ooit gedreven om nieuwe paden te verkennen en z’n onderhand lijvige catalogus vanuit een verse invalshoek te interpreteren. Na z’n uitstapje naar New Orleans van enkele jaren geleden, vond hij recentelijk z’n inspiratie in de volksmuziek van de Appalachen- en dus trad hij vanavond aan met een oertraditionele, semi-akoestische bezetting, The Sugar Canes. Niet dat de man zich daardoor beperkt leek te voelen: de bewerkingen van klassiekers als ‘Blame It On Cain’ of ‘Good Year For The Roses’ voelden zo fris en tijdloos dat ze evengoed gisteren als zestig jaar geleden geschreven konden zijn. Moeiteloos wipte de band van country en bluegrass, naar zydeco of een streep ragtime, telkens met een zwierig en los spel, soms met een hemelse samenzang.

En dan gebeurde wat niemand op deze zwoelhete avond had verwacht: de eerste aarzelende druppels dienden zich aan. Costello grijnsde eens sardonisch, en kondigde het volgende nummer aan: ‘Jimmy’s Standing In The Rain’. Al gauw leefden we met hem mee: de druppels zwelden aan tot een langdurige plensbui. Costello bleek sterker: het gros van z’n publiek bleef staan, en maakte er des te enthousiaster een feestje van."

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

"It is today impossible to imagine for Elvis Costello as the vicious punk of yesteryear. With age, his musical palette ever wider, and he appears more driven than ever to explore new paths and to interpret its hefty catalog by now from a fresh perspective. After his trip to New Orleans several years ago, he recently found its inspiration in the folk music of the Appalachen- and so he joined tonight by a oertraditionele, semi-acoustic line, The Sugar Canes. Not that the man himself made it seem to feel limited: arrangements of classics like 'Blame It On Cain' or 'Good Year For The Roses "felt so fresh and timeless they just as well could have been written yesterday as sixty years ago. Effortless whipped the band of country and bluegrass, to zydeco or streak ragtime, each with a flourish and loose game, sometimes with a heavenly singing.

And then something happened that no one expected this hot sultry evening: the first hesitant drops emerged. Costello grinned once sardonic and announced the next song: 'Jimmy's Standing In The Rain ". Soon we sympathized with him: the droplets swelled to a prolonged downpour. Costello proved stronger: the bulk of its audience remained standing, and made it the more enthusiastic of a party."

MOOT