July 3 / Montreal, PQ/ Salle Wilfred

I guess this will be part of this -

Montreal International Jazz Festival

29 June - 9 July '06

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/preFIJM ... eil_en.asp
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://montrealjazzfest.com/fijm2006/pr ... =7/03/2006

ELVIS COSTELLO & the IMPOSTERS featuring the piano and songs of ALLEN TOUSSAINT with his NEW ORLEANS HORN SECTION, THE RIVER IN REVERSE - tour 2006

Salle Wilfrid-Pelletier
de la Place des Arts
2006-07-03
at 8:00 pm
in collaboration with La Presse, Couleur Jazz 91,9 and Info690
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.cbc.ca/montreal/story/qc-jazz20060606.html

Stars to perform free at Paul Simon tribute
Last updated Jun 6 2006 07:44 PM EDT
CBC News

Elvis Costello, Sam Roberts and Daniel Lanois will perform for free at this year's Montreal jazz festival.

They are among several artists participating in a Paul Simon tribute concert on July 4.

The show will be one of three free outdoor concerts involving major artists, according to Laurent Saulnier, vice-president of programming for the Montreal event.

"It's something really special this year, mainly because we have three special events: One on opening night with the Neville Brothers, one in the middle of the festival with a tribute to Paul Simon and one at the close of the festival with [guitarist/composer] Goran Bregovic.

"So it feels like a special edition of the jazz fest," he said Tuesday.

There are more than 350 free concerts planned for this year's festival. The main events usually draw up to 100,000 spectators each, Saulnier said.

The Montreal jazz festival runs from June 29 to July 9.

Paul Simon, B.B. King and Tony Bennett are among those who will be performing at indoor concerts. Only outdoor concerts are free of charge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/fijm200 ... =7/04/2006

HOMMAGE À PAUL SIMON
Daniel Lanois
Kevin Parent
Elvis Costello
Allen Toussaint
Michel Rivard
Sam Roberts
Bedouin Soundclash
Jesse Cook
Zachary Richard
Daniel Bélanger
Arianne Moffat
Jerri Brown et JB Pumped singers of Montreal.

Scène General Motors
2006-07-04
at 9:30 pm
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

First live performance of "Congratulations"?

Or will EC go with "Peace Like A River," "American Tune," or "Overs," all of which he mentioned in his Vanity Fair list of 500 albums?
scielle
Location: Berkeley, CA; London, UK; Montreal QC; Toronto ON; New York

Post by scielle »

The July 3rd show is being "filmed before a live audience for TV", which probably means it will air on CBC sometime in the fall. (Or, potentially, SRC may carry it live, as they tend to do with these shows from time to time, though I doubt it.)

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/fijm200 ... howId=1918
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.hour.ca/music/music.aspx?iIDArticle=9624

Hour.ca, Canada

June 29th, 2006
Jazz Festival: Allen Toussaint

The Saint goes marching in

Bugs Burnett

Soul survivor Allen Toussaint helps resurrect the Crescent City

Before hurricane Katrina blew through New Orleans last August, legendary hitmaker and New Orleans native Allen Toussaint boarded up the windows of his home.
"I thought it would be like every other storm," Toussaint says over the phone from Vancouver, where he just completed a sound check with Elvis Costello on their current tour, which winds down in New Orleans on July 18.

During Katrina, and for days afterwards, rumours claimed Toussaint was holed up in the Superdome. Luckily he had a room in the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel at the corner of Canal and Bourbon.

"I've lived through all the hurricanes," Toussaint, 68, explains. "I was never afraid of any of them. I always thought I'd be all right. This time I thought I'd go take the boards down from my windows the next day. But we all know it didn't turn out that way."

Like most of New Orleans, Toussaint's home was destroyed. So was the home of Toussaint's old friend, rock'n'roll pioneer Fats Domino, in the poor, mostly black Ninth Ward. Toussaint and Domino first met back in the 1950s when Toussaint apprenticed with Fats' producer, the legendary Dave Bartholomew of New Orleans, who helped develop and define the sound of rhythm and blues in the '50s. Bartholomew first hired Toussaint to lay down the piano parts at a Fats Domino recording session. By the 1960s Bartholomew had passed the R'n'B baton to Toussaint, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998.

According to the Hall of Fame, "Toussaint's greatest contribution was
in not allowing the city's old-school R'n'B traditions to die out... In addition, he brought the New Orleans sound to the national stage."

Toussaint wrote songs for everybody, from New Orleans soul queen Irma Thomas to Solomon Burke and Otis Redding. At his Sea-Saint Recording Studio in the Gentilly neighbourhood of New Orleans, he arranged and produced everybody from Dr. John to Labelle's number one disco smash, Lady Marmalade.

"Patti [Labelle] was so professional," Toussaint says. "I remember her sitting down on a stool in the studio singing softly. She is such a great talent."

So is Toussaint, even if he isn't a household name like the innumerable stars he helped top the charts. So after Katrina, Toussaint fan Elvis Costello proposed they record an album of some of Toussaint's more obscure songs, plus some originals. The result is the just-released, critically acclaimed The River in Reverse.

"We started recording the album in Hollywood because New Orleans was under martial law," Toussaint says. "But we finished recording it in New Orleans. It was a spiritual event."

Currently living in NYC - where he plays at Joe's Pub monthly - until his New Orleans home is rebuilt ("There's a trailer in front of every house in my neighbourhood"), Toussaint performs in Montreal for the very first time on July 3, fitting since the man who founded New Orleans in 1718 was a Montrealer, Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne, born in Montreal in 1680. "I've been looking forward to coming to Montreal for a long time," Toussaint says.

More than that, he can't wait to return home.

"I'm not worried about the musical legacy of New Orleans," Toussaint says. "The spirit of the music is alive and well. There's parades in the streets, musicians are working. I'll be back there soon permanently. Soon it will all be back in place. New Orleans will live beyond Katrina."

Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint
At Place des Arts, July 3, 8 p.m.
scielle

Post by scielle »

Rehearsals (and press conference) for the Paul Simon tribute show on the 4th are being held Tuesday at 12pm at Monument National (a.k.a. National Theatre School, 1182 St. Laurent). I got this from press materials, so I don't imagine there will be any public access though. The night's show is also being taped for TV.
scielle

Post by scielle »

Still more on EC in Montreal:

http://www.wbgo.org/ontheair/2006/MontrealJazz.asp
Afternoon Jazz with Michael Bourne Broadcasts Live from the Montreal Jazz Fest, July 3, 4, 5 from 2 – 6:30p.m....This crew promises to chase down twenty- something jazz phenom Jamie Cullum at his concert, Canadian jazz stars Christine Jensen and singer Molly Johnson, Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint....
verena

Post by verena »

I am more into commenting soccer at the moment but there is an Elvis info which I guess I must pass on : The French jazz radio TSF (89.9) is going to broadcast life extracts of the Montreal Jazz Fest. every day starting 7pm this evening French time.

TSF discovered EC this past winter and they loved his stuff, played "Hora Decubitus" many times. In all likelihood they will want to catch a moment of his gig.

If you are in England not too far from the coast you can try to tune in. Ireland might be too far (I can't get Mystery Train unfortunately, bumped into it while staying in Brittany and it was close to inaudible, so unnerving...)
verena

Post by verena »

I turned on TSF a few minutes ago and recognised a voice I like, Elvis was on. Very good song ("on your way down" ?), great music.

The speaker said from Montreal that he was a the EC - AT concert last night , 2 hours and 45 mn, "and it was absolutely marvellous" :shock:
I registered that comment, because TSF seldom raves like that.

I am glad for EC, it means that he has conqueered a French audience again.
scielle

Post by scielle »

Oh it was an amazing marathon of a show. EC was in full bandleader mode, though it definitely looked and sounded like a rock 'n' roll show, and the crowd loved it. He has been practicing his French, it seems 8) Well, at least he learned to say "you big-headed swine" en francais, among other things. I was having too much fun to be writing down the set list, but it was similar to Ohio, and we got 37 songs - it went close to 3 hours. EC's like a little Energizer bunny up there, the man has such boundless energy, by 2.5 hours in people around me were shaking their heads not believing he's still at it, running around and 'conducting'. These 70-year-old grannies were in he row ahead of me and were dancing right along to every tune. And further down the same row a bunch of teens with vinatage EC t-shirts and buttons. Very cool. There was some bizarre towel-twirling thing happening during one of the encores - anyone know what that's about?

The show was recorded for airing on Bravo and ArTV, and this morning's Journal de Montreal claims that it may be released as a DVD as well.

According to La Presse, EC is singing Peace Like a River at tonight's Paul Simon tribute show.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 2006-07-03

2006-07-03
Montreal

' Amazing show. Nearly 3 hours. We were told it was being filmed for broadcast on Bravo! and ARTV networks in Canada. Elvis went on at about 9 and left the stage at 10 after midnight. Opened strong with What's so funny, Monkey to Man, On Your Way Down, Tears, Tears And More Tears, Tears Before Bedtime, A Certain Girl, Clown Strike... It was a little like the Bonnaroo show, but much longer. Two encores. Some Highlights: the new jazzy Clubland, Ascention Day out of the Professor Longhair medley, Slippin' and Slidin', somebody screaming out "how's Diana Krall?" followed by "we love her" to which EC said "Me too." Plus, Elvis signed my copy of the River in Reverse (on the Sharpest Thorn page)!'
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Peace Like a River
Paul Simon

Ah, peace like a river ran through the city
Long past the midnight curfew
We sat starry-eyed
Ooh, oh,we were satisfied
O-o-oh, And I remember
Misinformation followed us like a plague
Nobody knew from time to time
If the plans were changed
Oh, oh, oh, if the plans were changed.

You can beat us with wires
You can beat us with chains
You can run out your rules
But you know you can't outrun the history train
I seen a glorious day, aiee------

Ah, four in the morning
I woke up from out of my dreams
Nowhere to go but back to sleep
But I'm reconciled
Oh, oh, oh, I'm going to be up for a while

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00024 ... nce&n=5174

Paul Simon -
Paul Simon

verena

Post by verena »

Scielle, I understand Leonard Cohen is going to read something at the Paul Simon tribute tonight, maybe you are going. This is scoop, apparently. EC will also be there.

Can't figure why EC kills himself performing for hours. Perhaps his body needs it, or he's got a Wonder battery inside, cant think of any other explanation.
martinfoyle

Post by martinfoyle »

scielle wrote:
According to La Presse, EC is singing Peace Like a River at tonight's Paul Simon tribute show.
http://www.lapresse.com/article/2006070 ... 0/CPARTS03
Elvis Costello, fin connaisseur de l'oeuvre du songwriter new-yorkais, va interpréter une chanson un peu obscure tirée du premier album de Paul Simon, Peace Like A River.
Trés bon!
No surprise to EC anoraks since he covered Congratulations from the same album for the George Jones demos.
scielle

Post by scielle »

Yep, I'm actually sitting at a cafe adjacent to the stage as I write this - they've been rehearsing for a while - just the smaller acts, no sign of the big names, I think they've got them rehearsing indoors.
Anyhow, yeah, they just played excerpts of Leonard reading Paul Simon lyrics - so I don't think he will actually be there live.
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

This is what I have for a setlist.... Feel free to correct me or fill in the blanks:

“(What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace Love and Understandingâ€
scielle

Post by scielle »

Nice pic of EC in Montreal:
http://melodytrip.com/MelodyTrip/Blogs/ ... ginal.aspx
What I didn’t expect to happen was to run into Elvis Costello in the elevator of the Hyatt on the way down. His sparkling sequin-like shoes and shades gave him away. Then there was the lid.
http://melodytrip.com/MelodyTrip/Blogs/ ... 7/394.aspx
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

DVD bump!
scielle

Post by scielle »

EC on Canadian TV -

This Tue. on Bravo:

Montreal Jazz Festival 2006
Tuesday, January 23 @ 8et/5pt
This episode features multi-talented singer and songwriter Elvis Costello.
http://www.bravo.ca/

And on Thurs. Feb. 1 on CBC:

Opening Night
Tribute to Paul Simon
(featuring EC, hosted by Hawksley Workman)

http://www.cbc.ca/openingnight/
(click on "Special Preview" - the blue tab - for a video clip)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

From listserv-

I was away for a couple of weeks and the satellite recorded a show on
Bravo
(Canadian Version). Elvis Costello at the Montreal Jazz Festival (July
2006). They apparently are showing an hour from the festival each week
(http://www.bravo.ca )

The following performances are shown:

What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding?

Broken Promise Land

Freedom for the Stallion

The River in Reverse

Who's Gonna Help Brother .

Bedlam

Watching the Detectives

The Sharpest Thorn

There is a 'host' and she talks about Costello's career before each
video.

Only PLU is not on "Hot as a pistol ."
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This is being repeated this week -

http://www.bravo.ca/schedule/index.asp?date=7-24-2007#

Listings for Tuesday, July 24, 2007

8:00 PM The Montreal Jazz Festival 2006 EP:04 Elvis Costello (E) 2006
Captivating performances from some of the acclaimed artists who appeared at the city's famed celebration of music. This episode features British musician, singer and songwriter Elvis Costello.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/Allen playing Montreal, July 3 '06

Post by johnfoyle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbNtzvOU13A

Elvis Costello Live Montreal Jazz Festival 2006 Full Show
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis/Allen playing Montreal, July 3 '06

Post by Man out of Time »

Review (in French) by Sylvain Cormier printed on 4 July 2006 in Montreal newspaper Le Devoir:

"Elvis Costello et Allen Toussaint au FJIM - Tout malheur a du bon, même Katrina!

C'est Allen Toussaint qui le disait dans le DVD documentaire qui accompagne l'album The River In Reverse, le regard embué, touché par la ferveur d'Elvis Costello, qui le premier est venu à lui après l'ouragan Katrina pour que la musique de la Nouvelle-Orléans vive: «Après nous avoir donné le pire d'elle-même, Katrina va nous donner le meilleur... » Positivisme du désespoir, me disais-je, un brin cynique. Hier, quand je suis parvenu à m'extirper le corps de la salle Wilfrid-Pelletier pour écrire ces lignes — l'âme est restée —, je comprenais très exactement ce qu'il entendait par «le meilleur». Ouste le cynisme! Et encore, le spectacle n'en était qu'à Watching The Detectives, la 18e chanson extraordinairement inspirante des 37 chansons tout aussi extraordinairement inspirantes du programme prévu.

Rien que la moitié, pensez, et déjà, les Crescent City Horns avaient soufflé le plafond de la Place des Arts et révélé un ciel immense, aussi rempli d'espoir que leurs larges poumons de bon air («Big Sam» Williams le tromboniste, quel gabarit, quelle puissance!). Rien que la moitié et Allen Toussaint, le patriarche souriant, le digne successeur du Prof Longhair, le dépositaire de l'âme de la ville du jazz, avait déjà rappelé à tout le monde du bout de ses doigts agiles sur les ivoires que rien ne meurt, et surtout pas une ville de musique comme la Nouvelle-Orléans, tant qu'il se trouve des musiciens pour en propager les bonnes vibrations. Oui, comme l'a écrit et le chantait hier Elvis Costello dans la chanson-titre, on peut «remonter le courant». C'est possible, parce qu'un tel désastre — double désastre, notait Costello, fustigeant le gouvernement américain — fait tout remonter à la surface: la bonté, la solidarité, le courage, mais aussi la colère, la saine colère.

Et c'était un Costello hargneux qui chantait hier ses anciennes (Pump it Up, Deep Dark Thruthful Mirror, Chelsea) comme les toutes neuves, écrites à cause de Katrina et de l'ineptie des décideurs (Broken Promise Land, Six-Fingered Man). Costello, hier, était pour ainsi dire en service commandé, investi de mission, en situation de close-combat: il était là parce que c'était important. Vital. Parce que ses chansons avaient signé un nouveau bail, résonnaient autrement, y compris le répertoire des années punk, qui avait trouvé un futur méritant bataille. Neuf de ses chansons d'hier et d'avant-hier, réarrangées à sa demande par Toussaint, avaient été plongées dans la marmite de la Nouvelle-Orléans et en ressortissaient plus fortes, plus porteuses, plus larges de corps et d'esprit, pleines de cuivres et de piano boogie, sans rien perdre de leur impulsion d'origine. Touchées par la grâce.

Toussaint aussi, bénéficiait de l'occasion, trouvant à travers les ruines laissées par Katrina une brèche par laquelle sa musique, enfin, exultait au grand jour pour le plus grand nombre: la série de standards qu'il a alignés, de Slipping And Sliding à Fortune Teller, parlait aussi fort que le Tears, Tears And More Tears écrit au lendemain de la catastrophe. Le «meilleur» de Katrina, c'est qu'on ne pouvait pas sortir de cette salle autrement que bouleversés, choqués, galvanisés. Plus vivants qu'avant."

Or in "English" via Google Translate

"Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint at the FJIM - Every misfortune has good, even Katrina!

It was Allen Toussaint who said it in the documentary DVD that accompanies the album The River In Reverse, the fuzzy look, touched by the fervor of Elvis Costello, who first came to him after Hurricane Katrina so that the Music of New Orleans live: "After giving us the worst of itself, Katrina will give us the best ..." Positivism of despair, I told myself, a bit cynical. Yesterday, when I succeeded in extricating the body of the Wilfrid-Pelletier room to write these lines-the soul remained-I understood very precisely what he meant by "the best." The cynicism! And yet, the show was just Watching The Detectives, the 18th extraordinarily inspiring song of the 37 songs that were just as extraordinarily inspiring.

Crescent City Horns had blown the ceiling of Place des Arts and revealed an immense sky, as full of hope as their wide lungs of good air ("Big Sam" Williams the trombonist, What a template, what power!). Nothing but half and Allen Toussaint, the smiling patriarch, the worthy successor of Professor Longhair, the repository of the soul of the city of jazz, had already reminded everyone with his agile fingers on the ivories that nothing Dies, and especially not a city of music like New Orleans, as long as there are musicians to spread the good vibrations. Yes, as Elvis Costello wrote and sang yesterday in the title song, we can "go up the stream". It is possible, because such disaster - a double disaster, noted Costello, castigating the American government - brings everything back to the surface: goodness, solidarity, courage, but also anger, healthy anger.

And it was a surly Costello yesterday singing his old ones (Pump it Up, Deep Dark Truthful Mirror, Chelsea) as the brand new ones, written because of Katrina and the ineptitude of decision-makers (Broken Promise Land, Six-Fingered Man ). Costello yesterday was, as it were, in commissioned service, invested with a mission, in a close-combat situation: he was there because it was important. Vital. Because his songs had signed a new lease, resonated otherwise, including the repertoire of punk years, which had found a future deserving battle. Nine of his songs of yesterday and the day before yesterday, rearranged at his request by Toussaint, had been plunged into the pot of New Orleans, and emerged stronger, more bearer, broader in body and mind, Full of brass and piano boogie, without losing anything of their original impulse. Touched by grace.

All Saints, too, took advantage of the opportunity, finding through the ruins left by Katrina a breach through which his music finally exulted in broad daylight for the greatest number: the series of standards he aligned, from Slipping And Sliding At Fortune Teller, spoke as loudly as the Tears, Tears And More Tears wrote in the aftermath of the disaster. Katrina's "best" was that we could not get out of this room otherwise than shocked, shocked, galvanized. More alive than before."

Guessing that the FJIM is the Festival Jazz International Montreal.

MOOT