Elvis, solo, Plymouth, June 24th '15

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis, solo, Plymouth, June 24th '15

Post by johnfoyle »

Little Fool

Re: Elvis, solo, Plymouth, June 24th '15

Post by Little Fool »

I'm going, (hopefully). I say that because I'm going with a friend who has proved to be somewhat of a jinx as regards Costello gigs.
I am a veteran of over 35 years and 'introduced' my friend to the wonderful world of Costello relatively recently. The first gig that I encouraged him to buy a ticket for was cancelled !!!, oh well just bad luck you might think, but this also happened on the second time he bought a ticket, and then , would you believe it, the third !!!!!!!
His introduction turned out to be the re-scheduled Basingstoke gig of last year, luckily he loved it but fingers crossed for Plymouth.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

That's the first time I've heard of the curse of Costello applying to a fan :lol:

Fingers crossed for the rest of the tour.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Penultimate gig of the tour for me tonight - and if any board member suggests Elvis might do anything by The Wurzels , I'll be around their place to burn down their home and eat their loved ones !! Elvis told me I was wrong on Sunday night when I suggested I was the second most famous person to come from Plymouth so apart from Michael Foot, David Owen and of course Sir Francis Drake, I'll be intrigued to see who else comes up on the screen.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I suppose I should have guessed that Angela Rippon (BBC newsreader and sometime dancer with Morecambe and Wise should have been on the screen as a backdrop to "Green Shirt" and there was also a poster for a nuclear disarmament meeting in Westminster Hall with Michael Foots name topping the bill. - but sadly no picture! The set list has a load of intriguing options including Bullets, Condemned ( twice) In Another Room and DDTM but we did get the aforementioned Green Shirt, Motel Matches with a little story and All The Rage but sadly no Shoes Keep Walking. Elvis' voice needed a little time to warm up and was a little shaky at the start of Shipbuilding. He followed that with an unknown song which at least mentioned the word Canada but also included lines " you taste bitter, you taste sweet - I could drink a case of you and still be on my feet ! Or something quite similar so I'll check a lyric sheet before killing you all with kindness and looking too familiar ! I'm always a bit worried about reporting on a home gig as you wasn't it to be special but I think this was definitely one of the best 3 I've seen so far on the tour, and the highlight was probably the Larkin Poe duets/trios on Nothing Clings and That's Not The Part Of Him
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Obvious really, it was A Case Of You by Joni Mitchell, very beautifully and reverently done. Wav file processing as we speak !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Chalkie Davies has told a story about both he & Elvis being in a bar at the BBC & Angela Rippon walking by wearing a outfit that included a green blouse. Or did I dream that? I'll ask him!
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Another great gig and happened, (quite by chance), to be seated next to Sulky. I totally agree that the voice was a bit off. I first noticed it at Ghost Train and as far as I could tell is was pretty much 'damage limitation' from EC after that. He still gave it everything and I don't think the majority of the audience were aware.
A bit of a 'lame' audience as regards participation, everyone remained firmly in their seats, even for PLU !!!!!!!
I managed to grab a set list and it seemed to bear very little resemblance to what was played and in which order which I think was part of his 'voice management'.
It was good to hear Case of You, very emotional and I would imagine the lyric references were about missing Diana.
Looking forward to Basingstoke, see you all there.
edney

Post by edney »

Perhaps "A Case Of You" was also included as Joni is, by all accounts, lying in a hospital bed and still unwell.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Elvis Costello aims true at Plymouth Pavilions

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/REV ... story.html

Western Morning News | Posted: June 25, 2015
By Martin Freeman @MartinFreeman59

Elvis Costello
Plymouth Pavilions, Wednesday June 24

Britain’s greatest living singer-songwriter was back where he started.

This was a set full of songs that included a trio from his 1977 debut album played in the city where it all began.

Well, almost. Costello played his second-ever gig in Plymouth, he told a packed Pavilions crowd, the vast majority of whom were old enough to have been there at the start.

His Detour tour is back to the beginnings, too, with Costello performing most songs solo as if he were trying them out for the first time.

That voice, sometimes a deep, mellow, heavy whisper, at others sailing to the top notes, and frequently a rock’n’roll screech, sounded as good as new.

And the sensibilities and passions that have inspired his output were there as in the early days: songs of protest at poverty and against war mongering dotted the show that was heavy on broken-hearted, bitter-tinged regret.

“I thought I might do a set all about love and fidelity,” a relaxed, funny, chatty Costello teased at the start, before adding, “but it would be a very short show.”

At two hours 20 minutes, with three encores, he delivered quantity too.

The range from the Red Shoes (1977) opener to a taster from Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes, last year’s collaborative album inspired by ‘lost’ Bob Dylan lyrics, spanned his full career, despite all the pared-down, back-to-the-start feel of the show.

The stand-outs included Shipbuilding , beautifully delivered solo with piano, and the contrast between the mock jingoism of Oliver’s Army rocked on electric guitar and the melancholy of Alison on acoustic.

Support act Larkin Poe, an American Deep South roots/ rock band from Atlanta, reappeared in part in the encores, as sisters Rebecca and Megan Lovell brought their guitar and vocals, including to Good Year for the Roses and the closing song, (What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.

The latter went down a storm despite – or was it because? – Plymouth is a garrison city.

The greatest challenge of the night was well-received, but less successful. When the album original of Watching the Detectives is a perfect arrangement with the Attractions in tow, what can you do solo?

Costello’s answer was a semi-acoustic guitar take that was heavy on the distortion and drowned the fabulous word play and obscured the imagery.

Nothing is perfect, but the rest of the show was a close as you could get. His aim is true.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Elvis Costello at Plymouth Pavilions
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/REVIEW- ... story.html

Wednesday June 24
Review by Emily Smith

On arrival at the Pavilions last night it was fair to say myself and my friend were the youngest among the Elvis fans who were excited to see the huge star for themselves. But it didn't matter that we were 20 years younger than most – because Elvis put on a show worthy of a standing ovation.

Elvis, born Declan Patrick MacManus, was born into a musical family – his granddad part of a military band and his dad a singer himself. Elvis began his career in 1970 and has plenty of hits to his name – so many that he managed to fill a two-hour set.

Before he took to the stage fans were treated to a series of music videos on a huge TV screen centered in the middle of the stage. Although the stage looked great I can't help but think we didn't need to be overloaded with songs when we were about to see the man himself.

Once Elvis took to the stage the crowd hushed and he got straight on with his first song – Red Shoes. With a whole heap of guitars behind him he jumped into hit after hit. It's fair to stay that although Elvis may be past his best vocally his guitar playing was right up there with some of the greats. As he skipped around the instruments he held so dearly I was amazed at his skill and pace.

After playing guitar led tunes for a good half an hour he took to the piano and serenaded the crowd with Shipbuilding. It were these moments on the piano that the crowd were able to hear the lyrics more clearly and appreciate the voice of such a great.

Throughout the gig Elvis addressed the crowd, which in no means was sold out, and told stories that had us all giggling. In fact it was a rare moment in history as it was only Elvis's second time in the city, although it had been the place he played his second gig as a musician.

An hour in and Elvis nipped off stage to return with Larkin Poe – aka Rebecca Lovell and Megan Lovell - bringing with them youth and a mandolin and lapsteel guitar. It was when the girls joined Elvis on stage that the gig really stepped up a gear and the crowd were able to 'bop' in their chairs.

The first of two encores included Oliver's Army, Roses and Alison – some of the best songs of the night. But it wasn't over yet – Elvis quickly ran off stage before returning to play inside the huge TV screen on stage. He finished the set with Megan and Rebecca singing Peace, Love and Understanding.

The night ended with a standing ovation. All in all it was good gig – always an odd one when you have to sit down but it's fair to say Elvis hasn't lost his skills on the guitar just yet.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

All the rage :mrgreen:

I hope he's saving his voice for tomorrow - I don't want another Basingstoke postponement!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Elvis Costello at Plymouth Pavilions - 'The standing ovation says it all. Brilliant!'

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/REVIEW- ... story.html

By Plymouth Herald | Posted: June 25, 2015
Elvis Costello
Plymouth Pavilions

"I'd like to introduce my special guest," says Elvis Costello, tongue in cheek, midway through his sublime set at Plymouth Pavilions on Wednesday night. "It's me - both individually and as a band!"

His Detour tour is a solo affair, which offers the man up close and personal. He gives more of himself, tells witty stories and anecdotes throughout, shares with us on a different level than if he were in it with a bunch of bandmates.

The show feels even more intimate when he references his family; first, his father, Ross MacManus, musician, singer and band leader – we see footage of him performing If I Had A Hammer on the enormous TV screen which is an ever-changing backdrop to the show – and then his grandfather.

"I wouldn't be here if it hadn't been for Patrick", he confesses, before plunging into the most heart-felt tear-jerker of the night, inspired by the depression in the Thirties when Patrick, who had been a well-paid cruise ship musician, struggled to find work.

Naturally we get plenty of crowd pleasers, starting with Angels Want To Wear My Red Shoes and Accidents Will Happen but there are plenty of songs to appeal to the ardent fans – and with a back catalogue of over 400 tunes across 30 studio albums, there are certainly plenty to choose from.

His unmistakable, trademark nasal vocal has always been something of an acquired taste, and he is now sounding better than ever, with powerful projection and masterful vibrato which means that he is equally at home belting out tracks like Oliver's Army and Clash-inspired Pump It Up as he is delivering the magnificent Shipbuilding on which he accompanies himself on piano – stridently, discordantly, brilliantly – plus rare love song She, which he croons tenderly.

Still one of the finest lyricists in the business we are reminded of some of those superb turns of phrase as the TV flags up belting one liners like 'money pours down yet not everyone gets soaking wet' from A Voice in the Dark.

Actually, though billed as a solo show, Elvis does in fact have an awesome support act in the form of Bob Harris favourites Larkin Poe, a sizzling sister act from Atlanta who deliver twisted gospel and dirty country blues from debut album Kin.

The pair provide backing on mandolin and slide guitar for Elvis late in the show and their harmonies on Good Year for the Roses are the icing on this delicious cake.

A standing ovation and rapturous applause says it all. Brilliant!

CLARE ROBINSON
PICTURE BY RICK BRINKHURST PHOTOGRAPHY
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Plymouth set list
Plymouth set list
image1-3.JPG (105.53 KiB) Viewed 19424 times
As anyone who was there will know, this is not how the evening actually went and there are a couple of numbers he chose not to play.
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Whoops, even though I rotated the image it chose to post it like this !!!!!!!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 4_Plymouth

Setlist from wiki:
01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Watch Your Step
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Ascension Day
05. Motel Matches
06. Church Underground
07. Shipbuilding - on piano
08. A Case Of You - on piano
09. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
10. Ghost Train - seated
11. She - seated
12. Watching The Detectives
13. Green Shirt
14. Down On The Bottom
15. All The Rage
Encore 1
16. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
17. Nothing Clings Like Ivy - with Larkin Poe
18. Kinder Murder - with Larkin Poe
19. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - with Larkin Poe
20. Blame It On Cain - with Larkin Poe
Encore 2 - inside TV
21. Good Year For The Roses - with Larkin Poe
Encore 3
22. Oliver's Army
23. Alison
24. Pump It Up
25. Side By Side - on piano
26. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
27. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
28. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Little Fool wrote:Whoops, even though I rotated the image it chose to post it like this !!!!!!!
re-rotated:
Image:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Rick Brinkhurst Photography , via facebook