Elvis, solo, plays Berlin , Oct. 9 2014

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis, solo, plays Berlin , Oct. 9 2014

Post by johnfoyle »

Promo interview -

http://www.morgenpost.de/kultur/berlin- ... loten.html

Elvis Costello guest at the Admiral Palace. Which songs he sings then he decides spontaneously. This prevents the concerts are boring.

By Alexander Gumz
8 Oct. 2014

Elvis Costello made in August, 60 years old, is one of the great singer-songwriters of our time. End of the 70s he began as an intellectual Angry Young punk with his band The Attractions. But Costello does: rock and roll, funk, blues, jazz, string quartet, piano ballads and orchestral suites for Shakespeare plays. Hardly a pop musician of his generation is so versatile and has at the same time as a distinctive handwriting and voice as he. The one can experience when he solo comes in the Admiral's Palace on Thursday - only Costello and guitar.

Berliner Morgenpost: Mr. Costello, you have become in August 60 years old. Any tips for all the young rock 'n' rollers out there, how in the pop business is older with dignity and style?

Elvis Costello: I think you can try to do just that, only what feels right for itself in my work youth has never played a great role.. The people have when I appeared for the first time in public ,, said I'd be lying if it was about my age - I was 30 and I was only 22, I have since the whole thing rather regarded as a comedy. Every time you have one of those big birthdays, call your friends and pretend as if the world under: My God, you're 21, 30, 40, 50! But I'm still there, surprisingly, and glad to be alive. And I do what I do as best I can.

Birthday you are traveling with a solo tour. What is special about it to stand alone on stage?

When I play solo, I have the greatest freedom. I can play Rock 'n' Roll or ballads, a brand new piece or something that I wrote when I was 17. And I do not play according to the recordings. I play the raw sound of the composition. When I perform solo, I can explore Extreme - of all the noise that I can do with an electric guitar, something very intimate that one can only be possible with an instrument, a microphone and someone singing softly to herself. People sit in front of their chairs, I lean against my chair, and we are very close to each other. That's the beauty of this type of contact.

They rarely play on two nights exactly the same songs. As you build your concerts on that?

One strategy is that there is a kind of theme in my head that connects individual pieces. I'm writing a script for my shows, but in the afternoon, when I see the concert hall, I decide what I'm going to play in the evening. Maybe I have an old Vaudeville feel it would be appropriate to sing songs about traveling. Found it may seem more appropriate to play pieces on the various forms of love. But I have no rigid method. I try to keep the spontaneous. When I sing a couple of songs that go well together, it happens that I have five, six other games, which I have not thought of before. The other day I played some for the first time, after 35 years.

Is this, as if you were playing cover versions of pieces that's written a younger self?

If I want to play my old songs, I treat them normally as if I had just been found somewhere and never seen or heard of in life - a bit as though they came from someone else, yes. And it's good for me to rediscover songs in this way, then I can play it with a fresh feeling of surprise.

How do you manage so often to stand on stage without getting bored?

Every now and again I take a piece that is arranged very abundant in the studio version, and play it the way I wrote it - in my bedroom in the morning at three. We understand every word, and perhaps even doing something tragic comes to light, it was one I did not notice. Sometimes a song is playing loud and aggressive, a kind of armor around his emotionality. And it takes a while before you realize that it something quiet, has inspiring views. If you play it in this naked form, you can make the place. The other way that goes well: Every now and again I take a ballad and they roll up to, and she gets a power they did not have before. This prevents the concerts are too predictable - for myself, but also for the audience.

You have worked a lot with different musicians, from Paul McCartney about Burt Bacharach, Chet Baker, the Brodsky Quartet, Anne Sofie von Otter to The Roots. What appeals to you?

I'm just curious to any form of music, have also written pieces for dance companies and for symphony orchestra. But these things were never really planned, they just happened. The longest time I have not thought of myself as someone who writes music together with others. It all started in the late 80s, when I got to work with Paul McCartney. I mean, who could have imagined that I would sometimes write songs with Paul McCartney? That would be have been completely crazy and arrogant to think I could improve his songwriting! (laughs) But he asked me back then, and we had a lot of fun together. Some of the songs I recently played live for the first time, in Carnegie Hall in New York. Famous address. And you know what - they sounded great! The songs have really held up well.

Change songs you have written for others, when you sing yourself?

"For the Stars" for example, I've written for the classical singer Anne Sofie von Otter. It has a large, strong melody. Very emotional piece. It's about what I do: to find a rapport with his musical talent. When I sing it yourself, it becomes a completely different song. People hardly recognize it as a rule. But such a thing can also happen with pieces that I play regularly since 1977. The version that will hear may sound completely different than any other version before.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

"StarTrekFan" posted about an hour ago:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-cos ... ca5bc.html

Radio Radio
Either Side of the Same Town
Veronica
Sweet Dreams
Accidents Will Happen
From a Whisper to a Scream
Come the Meantimes
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
Church Underground
The Comedians
Walking My Baby Home
Ghost Train
Beyond Belief
Mr. Feathers
Wave a White Flag
She
Watching the Detectives
April 5th

Encore: (with Larkin Poe)
Pads, Paws and Claws
Love Field
Turpentine
A Good Year for the Roses
Blame It on Cain
Lost on The River #12
Six Months in Kansas City

Encore 2:
Alison
Jimmie Standing in the Rain (Part of the song was sang without a microphone)
Everybody's Crying Mercy
Shipbuilding
The Last Year of My Youth
(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
I Want You
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin/drei-stu ... s-costello

photo: picture alliance / dpa

Music-all-trades
Three hours under the spell of Elvis Costello

With songs about love and betrayal ("I have about more than 400 songs written") avid Elvis Costello at his Berlin stint.

October 10, 2014

by Malte Goebel

Elvis Costello jumps into the spotlight in a black suit, with the obligatory horn-rimmed glasses and a white hat that makes him look pleasant summery. Costello (60) is an original, a music-jack of all trades: The Briton was the end of the 70 intellectual punk, then new wave, rock and roll, funk, blues, jazz, string quartet, piano ballads and orchestral suites for Shakespeare plays - and everything he has brought to Berlin to his solo show.

"I have chosen a theme for the evening," he announced to the sold-out Admiral Palace. "It's about love and betrayal!" Short break. "That's what I've written over 400 songs!" One week could be the smart play by Brite so, but he leaves it at "only" about three hours. 20 songs, the main set, the first addition (to which he brings the opening band Larkin Poe on stage) consists of eight songs - play as much as other bands main set! Then again, there are six songs, then another two. Elvis Costello says it really well with his fans!

Seven acoustic guitar, an electric guitar and a piano he brought, constantly changing instrument and mood, but he has also just better: with voice and accompaniment, he alternates between punk-loud (as in "Watching the Detectives") and gentle -leise (particularly acclaimed: his hit "She"). Even with the second song "Radio Show" he animated the audience to sing along, thanks later with anecdotes from his life, as he tuned his guitar wrong quietly turned in his first ever appearance in a pub and the wilder posed - "that was the concert of my life! "

For the last encores, Costello is first the piano, then picks up the guitar out, and since it holds no more on the seats: With standing ovations the Admiralty Elvis Costello celebrates. But he has his best moment, as he pointedly stands next to the microphone and unreinforced sings. And the Admiralty is still. Goosebumps! mgo
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Erich sent John Foyle a different setlist, which has "Radio Soul," "Poison Moon," and "Ascension Day" instead of "Radio, Radio," "Sweet Dreams," and "From A Whisper To A Scream."

Radio Soul
Either Side Of The Same Town
Veronica
Poison Moon
Accidents Will Happen
Ascension Day
Come The Meantimes
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
Church Underground
The Comedians
Walking My Baby Home
Ghost Train
Beyond Belief
Mr. Feathers
Wave A White Flag
She
Watching The Detectives
April 5th

---------------------------

Pads, Paws And Claws (with Larkin Poe)
Love Field (with Larkin Poe)
Turpentine (with Larkin Poe)
Good Year For The Roses (with Larkin Poe)
Blame It On Cain (with Larkin Poe)
Lost On The River (with Larkin Poe)
Six Months In Kansas City (with Larkin Poe)

---------------------------

Alison (amplified!)
Jimmie Standing In The Rain / Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
Everybody's Crying Mercy (on the piano)
Shipbuilding (on the piano)
Last Year Of My Youth
Peace, Love And Understanding (with Larkin Poe)
I Want You
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks ANCT - I was way too busy to post this earlier. Erich seems diligent so I'd trust his list.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

In case anyone's wondering, the photo above (or below, depending on your forum settings)
is evidently from an EC/Imposters gig in Barcelona, July 26, 2013. This is the second German review to use that pic.

It previously appeared in El Pais: http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2013/07/27/ ... 38255.html

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Getty has 20+ pics by Stefan Hoederath:

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Searc ... =517610221

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

to add a little further confusion...most amendments here: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-cos ... ca5bc.html
except it still includes WHISPER SCREAM. :?:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I sent Erich the early list , adding that I was more confident in the accuracy of his list.

He replied -

I just saw the setlist confusion. It was definitely "Radio Soul" that Elvis played, and as much as I'd have liked to hear them, he didn't play "Sweet Dreams" and "From A Whisper To A Scream"

Maybe the 'early' poster copied the actual set list from the stage and Elvis had planned to do them but changed his mind.