bronxapostle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Osaka , Dec 15 '13

Post by bronxapostle »

from IAN's fbook page...

And tonight's setlist...

Zepp Namba, Osaka
15 December 2013 Spinning Songbook Show
Wheel changes:
Album bonuses were all gone, replaced by individual songs (In Another Room, River in Reverse, Big Tears, Human Hands), and Ghost Jackpot.

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart of the City
Uncomplicated
Mystery Dance (Elvis took a chorus on the grand piano, guitar issues?)
Spin 1: My All Time Doll
Spin 2: I Can Sing A Rainbow jackpot
Green Shirt
Red Shoes
Almost Blue
My All Time Doll
Spin 3: So Like Candy
Come the Meantimes
New Amsterdam > You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Femme Fatale
Spin 4: Happy Jackpot
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Possession
Spin 5: Joanna Jackpot
Talking in the Dark
Shot With His Own Gun
She
Spin 6: I Want You
Walk Us Uptown
Encore:
Hammer of Song: 45
Radio Radio
Cinco Minutos Con Vos
Watching the Detectives > Help Me
Spin 7: Time Jackpot
Spin 8: Ghost Jackpot
Sugar Won't Work
Beyond Belief
Out of Time
Strict Time
Chelsea
Peace Love & Understanding
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from EC's site:

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Osaka, Japan
December 15th,2013

Overture

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Uncomplicated
Mystery - E.C. on piano in extended solo due to amp malfunction

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook

"Rainbow" Jackpot - Spin 1

Greenshirt
Red Shoes
Almost Blue

My-All Time Doll - Spin 2

So Like Candy - Spin 3

Come The Meantimes - IMPROMPTU

New Amsterdam/You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - IMPROMPTU

Femme Fatale - IMPROMPTU

"Happy" Jackpot - Spin 4

High Fidelity
Possession

"Joanna" Jackpot - Spin 5

Talking In The Dark
Shot With His Own Gun
She

I Want You - Spin 6

Walk Us Uptown - IMPROMPTU

Hammer Of Songs

Radio Radio - IMPROMPTU

Cinco Minutos Con Vos - IMPROMPTU

Watching The Detectives/Help Me - IMPROMPTU

"Ghost" Jackpot - Spin 7

Sugar Won't Work

Beyond Belief - IMPROMPTU

"Time" Jackpot - Spin 8

Strict Time
Out Of Time

Chelsea

Peace, Love and Understanding
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

More from Ian -

Draft of my review of last night's show. Got the name right this time...

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Zepp Namba, Osaka
15 December 2013 Spinning Songbook Show

The ancient Romans searched through the entrails of sacrificed animals looking for omens, and as we sat waiting for last night's show, I found myself pondering the significance, if any of two items that were probably of no significance at all, but when you've got half an hour's wait, that's the sort of thing you do after you've had a photo taken with the Wheel in the background.

Actually, we were lucky yo be there at all. If The Supervisor hadn't asked what time the show started we might have rocked up at least half an hour after the actual commencement. We'd had lunch with The Sister and The Rowdy Niece, and I'd answered a question about starting time with a 'seven-thirty', omitting an 'I think' and failing to note the expression of surprise from Someone who's rather more au fait with the way things run over here than her sister, who has spent the last twenty-odd years in Australia.

Most of the conversation was, predictably, in Japanese, so I didn't pick up the 'that's early for a Sunday' (or words to that effect)

We also learned that the ¥500 drink charge we'd complained about earlier is, in effect, standard operating practice in these parts.

In any case, Madam checked at around four-thirty, we were out the door shortly thereafter and around an hour later we were seated in row G, enjoying the different ambiance at a different venue.

The ¥500 drink fee hadn't caused quite the same resentment now that we were aware it was par for the course, and once we were inside it was obvious that Zepp Namba is a far more relaxed environment than the Ex in Roppongi. The entrance was entirely devoid of people yelling instructions through bullhorns, and there were no PA announcements reminding us that photographs were forbidden.

I joined a stream of punters getting photos taken in front of the iconic item and was on my way back to the seats when I noted a familiar-looking bearded gentleman thanking someone who'd taken a happy snap. "Strange," I thought. "Looks like Steve. must be his brother."

As the figure headed off I remarked on the remarkable resemblance! and Madam pointed out that he'd been stopped by a couple of Japanese girls and was signing autographs.

Obviously, Steve...

I wasn't sure why someone who'd done dozens of these shows would want a photographic record of his presence there, which raises all sorts of avenues for speculation, and it was around that point I noticed there'd been some changes on the Wheel.

For a start, all the album bonuses, the King's Ransom and Imperial Chocolate and their ilk were gone, replaced by individual songs (In Another Room, River in Reverse, Big Tears, Human Hands), and what seemed to be a new Ghost Jackpot.

So maybe that was it. Alternatively, if the titles up there are the result of some sort of EC-Steve-Whoever collaboration you might want a record.

Or it might just be a part of the pre-concert ritual.

But what was obvious from the time the ensemble hit the stage was an obvious degree of relaxation, which might be down to the fact that the TV appearance was behind them, but quite possibly related to the change of venue.

As noted, Zepp Namba had a much more relaxed vibe in front of stage, and the same thing quite possibly applies to those areas we don't get to see. In any case, Elvis expressed a liking for the place.

It was obvious, once the Wheel segments started, that there'd been a change in the selection policy. Elvis' first foray into the crowd produced a pair of sisters, one sporting an Elvis t-shirt and the other a Liverpool FC shirt and supporter's scarf. Obvious fans, who obviously knew how to attract the man's attention.

Subsequent spinners included a couple who had She as their wedding song. That was their request, and a bit of manipulation on Elvis' part delivered the Joanna jackpot, which, predictably, concluded with their request.

The Hammer of Song segment produced a woman in a kimono who rang the bell once the right hammer had been produced and requested 45, rather than one of the more obvious suspects.
She sat in the Celebrity lounge, obviously having a good time and happily singing along to Radio Radio.

A final crowd excursion in the Help Me extension of Watching the detectives produced a Belgian gent in a hammer and sickle t-shirt and an attractive Japanese lass who either arrived together or were very rapidly becoming quite good friends.

And, with the more interesting selection of spinners came an increased use of the go go cage, though no one matched the terpsichorean tantalisation of the lovely Dixie de la Fontaine.

And from Row G it was interesting to watch (out of the corner of the eye, of course) what happened as The Mysterious Josephine went out into the audience. One gathers that part of her brief, in the Stage Left aisle, involves encouraging the crowd reaction. You also get the distinct impression that she has someone selected just in case. A Japanese couple spent a long time cued to go on, passed over (quite literally) in Help Me, and ended up missing their shot at the stars when the show came to a relatively premature end.

Actually, it wasn't that premature, and one suspects Elvis was starting to have some vocal issues. The volume definitely seemed to have been cranked up through the latter portions of the encore in a way it hadn't been in Tokyo. He definitely seemed to be straining in Strict Time.

In any case, after the lengthy second set, the crowd persisted with calls for an encore, right up to the point where the stage crew started removing items from the Wheel.

Highlights?

Elvis expressing his inner Jerry Lee Lewis when there were apparent guitar issues during Mystery Dance.

My All Time Doll and Femme Fatale.

New Amsterdam > You've Got To Hide Your Love Away.

And, with that, it's off to Kyoto for a couple of days off bare trees in temple courtyards before we make our way back to the wilds of Northern Australia and an appointment with the same outfit in Sydney in April.

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart of the City
Uncomplicated
Mystery Dance (Elvis took a chorus on the grand piano, guitar issues?)

Spin 1: My All Time Doll
Spin 2: I Can Sing A Rainbow jackpot

Green Shirt
Red Shoes
Almost Blue

My All Time Doll

Spin 3: So Like Candy

Come the Meantimes
New Amsterdam > You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Femme Fatale

Spin 4: Happy Jackpot
High Fidelity
Possession

Spin 5: Joanna Jackpot
Talking in the Dark
Shot With His Own Gun
She

Spin 6: I Want You

Walk Us Uptown

Encore:
Hammer of Song: 45

Radio Radio
Cinco Minutos Con Vos
Watching the Detectives > Help Me

Spin 7: Time Jackpot
Spin 8: Ghost Jackpot

Sugar Won't Work
Beyond Belief

Out of Time
Strict Time

Chelsea
Peace Love & Understanding
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Some guys have all the luck... :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
krm

Post by krm »

it´s not luck.........
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Wow, its like Christmas recently!
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

The quality and performance on the December shows was a much welcome bolt out of the blue. I really didn't expect them to show up let alone be this good. Hats off to everyone involved.